My new TS-1635 arrived!!!

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: My new TS-1635 arrived!!!

Post by dolbyman »

wonder what the real life performance of this ARM powered unit will be
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

skypx wrote:
Not the best review but it gives a good base line: http://www.techspot.com/review/1324-qnap-ts-1635/

Well that test is kinda useless if you hit the gigabit transfer barrier for sequential read/write on 1GbE... they should have tested it with the 10GbE ports
Techspot wrote:The 4K video transfer test saturates the Gigabit Ethernet connection without the aid of an SSD cache so adding one wasn't particularly useful here. Perhaps if we were able to take advantage of the 10GbE networking we might have seen some gains here, sadly right now we don't have the required equipment.
It's like car magazine saying.. "The new Ferrari model is super fast .. we think .. because we drove it on a normal street .. speedlimits and stuff .. sorry" :lol:
kd6icz
Getting the hang of things

Re: RE: Re: My new TS-1635 arrived!!!

Post by kd6icz »

Bob Zelin wrote:I am absolutely fascinated how QNAP can manufacture this unit for under $1300 US. 12 SATA bays, 4 SSD bays, built in dual port 10G SFP+. It seems impossible.
If this supported a 12G SAS expander card instead of the horrible UX-800P, this product would be nearly perfect.
I hope that you keep us up to date with its performance.
May I ask - what QTS version did it ship with ? 4.2.3 ?
Thanks -
Bob Zelin
That was why I bought it! I was looking at the 8 bay and I thought.... For $350 more I can have this???? Why not!?!

I did some research on the SoC and it's specifically designed for up to a 16 SATA3 NAS with integrated 10Gbps Ethernet controllers.

I'm hoping that since the SoC is purpose built with everything inside and the fact I'm running nothing extra it will be perfect for my use. But I will confirm my findings once all RAID initialization processes complete. Should be 100% by Saturday.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
kd6icz

Post by kd6icz »

The one thing I noticed is how much room there is for a PCIe card! Room wise you could fit the largest double slot graphics card on the market! Of course, the hardware wouldn't be able to support or even use something like that.

However, it would be nice if it would support some type of hardware transcoder card for Plex! There are low power cards out there that only need a few watts of power and a PCIe x1 slot.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz »

One question I have is about an error I'm getting on one of my disks.

It's popped up twice. Once about 10 minutes after formatting and just now.

It's says "Host Disk 10 medium error. Please run a bad block scan on this drive or replace it if the error persists."

So I looked at my options for that disk and, first, it says everything is GOOD with the disk. I ran the quick test which never finished even after 9 hours. I don't know where to find the bad block test.... Any suggestions? I'm not sure I'm believing this error since it only pops up in the Warnings but not in the actual disk health information.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

i think bad block is the full test..the whole surface of the drive is tested for read and write issues

but if even the short one fails ..it might be a doa drive

anything I/O related on dmesg ?
kd6icz

Re: RE: Re: My new TS-1635 arrived!!!

Post by kd6icz »

dolbyman wrote:
anything on dmesg ?
I don't know what that is?

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you need to ssh into the device

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmesg
kd6icz

Post by kd6icz »

Oh geez... Not a Linux guy. I'll see if I can make sense of it.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

otherwise you can pull out the drive and test it in a computer ... you might have to do that anyways for rma eligibility (as part of the process, some manufacturers have you test the drive in a desktop suite first)
kd6icz

Post by kd6icz »

OK. Should I let the box finish the synchronization or just pull it?

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz »

Since there's no data on it yet. I'm going to remove the volume and swap the drive with another drive in the box and make sure the error follows the drive.

AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

Check the SMART detail (not the summary) in Storage Manager, Disk Health.
Look for any non-zero counts in attributes associated with errors, they are fairly obvious.
The usual one is 'reallocated sectors' , ie bad blocks that have been marked as such and swapped for a spare.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

Another review - not quite as glowing - but with 10gb performance info - some errors in the article but you get a bit more info

Interesting to see what the Arm CPU cant do - jbod, vm's etc

http://www.itpro.co.uk/nas/27841/qnap-ts-1635-review
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
kd6icz

Post by kd6icz »

When I swapped drives 9 and 10 the issue followed the drive. This time the S.M.A R.T. page DID show a warning on 'relocated sectors'. So I guess I'll be opening an RMA with WD.... I really hate 'recertified' drives!

Return to “Users' Corner”