Complete Beginner Needs Help

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
FredDogsMum
New here

Complete Beginner Needs Help

Post by FredDogsMum »

Hi Peeps - So I am a NAS virgin and as you will discover a bit of a technophobe :DD . I just purchased a 2 bay T220 to replace using drop box in my home office which is a two computer setup over a LAN.

I have managed to set up the hardware and the software on my PC and I have moved all of my shared files over and they all sync when I change something either directly on my PC or if I go onto the NAS which I can see on the network. Changes are quickly reflect on my PC or the NAS which is great. I have also mapped the network drives to the folders I created although if I am honest I am not sure why this is necessary.

Now this is where my confusion starts. I have an employee so I have created a new user for him and managed to restrict the access to just the files I want him to have access to. From his machine I have logged on to the NAS drive via the network and I had to put in his user and password and it all worked great. The bit I just can not get my head round and the manual doesn't give this away easily is how do I get his PC to sync up with the files so he works off his PC and not directly on the NAS drive. I am guessing I need to download some software on to it, but what software and where can I download it from. Then do I log on as him or as me the administrator.

Sorry if this is a really stupid question and thanks in advance for any help.

Helen x
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Complete Beginner Needs Help

Post by dolbyman »

why exactly is the employee not supposed to work on the network/NAS directly ?
FredDogsMum
New here

Post by FredDogsMum »

Its my understanding that he works on his PC and I work on mine and the NAS synchronizes all the files in the back ground. So if I create or update document A on my PC. The NAS will take a copy of that put it on the NAS drive then put a copy on his PC.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

nahh ...

so what if that employee does a change to his document, you do a change to yours.. and your changes get synced over the employees changes .. all the employee changes are lost

I think you need to create a better strategy for your file management here

Return to “Users' Corner”