Installed an invalid Certificate and Private Key. Can't access Qnap Web Interface or SSH

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
serendrewpity
Starting out

Installed an invalid Certificate and Private Key. Can't access Qnap Web Interface or SSH

Post by serendrewpity »

Hello all,

I attempted to create a self-signed certificate by following the instructions here,...
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/tutorial/con ... ne&cid=218

I got to Step 4, where it says to 'Click Apply to upload the pasted key and certificate data.'
Once I did this Google Chrome said that it needed to reload the page. I was accessing the QNAP NAS via HTTPS.
When I did this I got 'Privacy Error' -- 'NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID' and I could not load the Qnap web interface in order to log in.
I also could no longer use SSH to login
I cannot access the Qnap Web Interface login screen via HTTP or HTTPS by using the HOSTNAME or IP ADDRESS [same for SSH]

How can I reset the Certificate and Private Keys back to default?
Will a factory reset destroy my raid volumes and implicitly my data??

Right now I can still access my data via SMB [Windows Networking]
I can backup to external drives but that will literally take days as I have several terrabytes of data
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
serendrewpity
Starting out

Re: Installed an invalid Certificate and Private Key. Can't access Qnap Web Interface or SSH

Post by serendrewpity »

I apparently still have access to the QNAP NAS via the android app. But the android app can only do certain things. It's not helpful.

There is also the HD Station. I may have to try this but I am not sure what I will be able to see there either. I don't remember if the Admin console is accessible from there.
serendrewpity
Starting out

Resolved: Installed an invalid Certificate and Private Key. Can't access Qnap Web Interface or SSH

Post by serendrewpity »

I have now regained access to the QNAP Web Admin console [QTS]

Two things...
1) I was incorrect in saying I couldn't access QTS web interface via HTTP. It was not loading for me because I hadn't specified the default HTTP port of 8080.
2) I only realized this after accessing the Qnap NAS via HybridDesk. I had to connect a mouse keyboard and monitor [Flatscreen TV]. After that I didn't have the QTS HD app installed, so I installed by going to Settings -> App --> double-clicking QTS. Once I was able to log in I saw the HTTP port was setup for port 8080 like mentioned above. I reset the Cert & Key back to its default and regained access.

So if you trying what I am trying, then I hope that you've left yourself an out [like the two above] to prevent you from being locked out. If not then I hope these are helpful
Beemer2
Easy as a breeze

Re: Installed an invalid Certificate and Private Key. Can't access Qnap Web Interface or SSH

Post by Beemer2 »

In 1) you said that you had not set port 8080
but in 2) you said that once you logged in you saw that it was set to port 8080

That is contradictory, and also if it was set why did you need to go back to the default certificate?

Ian
TS-473A, 32GB, 4x4TB, Raid5, 12GB Red Plus backup
serendrewpity
Starting out

Post by serendrewpity »

I didn't specify port 8080 in the address bar of my browser. ie http://NASHOSTNAME:8080

It was set to use port 8080 for http in QTS settings.
Beemer2
Easy as a breeze

Post by Beemer2 »

Ah! now understood,
thanks,
Ian
TS-473A, 32GB, 4x4TB, Raid5, 12GB Red Plus backup

Return to “Users' Corner”