How to view QNAP backup drive in Windows and test for errors?

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Geronemo3
Starting out

How to view QNAP backup drive in Windows and test for errors?

Post by Geronemo3 »

Hi,
Recently I got an external hard drive to u use as a backup for my NAS running in RAID 1.
The external drive was already formatted in NTFS.

After going through QNAP control panel --> System Settings --> External Device I reformatted the external drive to NTFS again and put en encryption password
Made a complete backup using Backup Station app in QNAP.

Now here's the issue.

When I connect this external drive to my windows PC it's showing as RAW in Disk Management and Windows in telling me that I have to format the drive to access it.
Is there a way I can access the drive via PC?
Also many external drives can be checked for errors in windows using different utilities, since I can't access the drive I can't run any diagnostics either from time to time to test the drive.

Please let me know what u guys think.

Thank you.
Don
Guru

Re: How to view QNAP backup drive in Windows and test for errors?

Post by Don »

You can't see it in Windows probably because it is encrypted. Try it without encryption.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

what version of windows?
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
Geronemo3
Starting out

Re: RE: Re: How to view QNAP backup drive in Windows and test for errors?

Post by Geronemo3 »

Spider99 wrote:what version of windows?
Windows 10.
Using QNAP TS-251 in RAID 1.
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

my guess would be that windows does not understand the encryption QNAP has used - although with a NTFS format it should

Does it work when encrypted ?

You can access the data when the disk is attached to the nas (and unlocked) via a windows share (usually done automatically)

Did you encrypt with auto mount or manual?
Tim

Geronemo3
Starting out

Post by Geronemo3 »

Spider99 wrote:my guess would be that windows does not understand the encryption QNAP has used - although with a NTFS format it should

Does it work when encrypted ?

You can access the data when the disk is attached to the nas (and unlocked) via a windows share (usually done automatically)

Did you encrypt with auto mount or manual?
It works perfectly when attached to the NAS via USB. When I connect it "external drive has been connected" pops up.
It shows as 0 bytes until I go to --> System Settings --> External Device --> Encryption Management and unlock device using password.
Then It shows up as a Share in NAS root directory and is accessible. I have not saved the encryption key in the NAS.

I don't understand what does "encrypt with auto mount or manual mean". This is my first time backing up the NAS.

Let me know what do u think.

Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

you have it in "manual" mode i.e. you have to manually unlock the volume to get access to it

if it were auto it would mount a boot/attachment - small chance it may work this way with windows - not tried myself

Why are you encrypting anyway?
Tim

Geronemo3
Starting out

Post by Geronemo3 »

Spider99 wrote:you have it in "manual" mode i.e. you have to manually unlock the volume to get access to it

if it were auto it would mount a boot/attachment - small chance it may work this way with windows - not tried myself

Why are you encrypting anyway?
Thanks for the input.
Honestly I just encrypted in case the drive was lost or stolen I didn't want someone/anyone to have access to all my stuff.
What I want to do is have it encrypted but also be able to access it on PC and be able to run some type of diagnostic program from time to time to make sure it's not failing.

I think it's not possible with manual encryption will try it again with saving encryption key in QNAP. If after that it doesn't work last resort might be PC backup.

Would u recommend I backup using PC as this is an external drive it will just work fine with USB 3 and I can set network location to backup from. I was under the impression backup QNAP from it's software would be more robust.

Let me know what u think.

Thanks again :)
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

I was under the impression backup QNAP from it's software would be more robust.
It seems 'robust' enough if you connect an encryption-protected drive into a random PC and can't read it or even recognise it.
Put yourself in the position of the potential thief.
You can't really criticise the QNAP backup for that.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Geronemo3
Starting out

Re: RE: Re: How to view QNAP backup drive in Windows and test for errors?

Post by Geronemo3 »

AlastairStevenson wrote:
I was under the impression backup QNAP from it's software would be more robust.
It seems 'robust' enough if you connect an encryption-protected drive into a random PC and can't read it or even recognise it.
Put yourself in the position of the potential thief.
You can't really criticise the QNAP backup for that.
I not trying to be critical of QNAP. I am learning and seeking advice as I go along. Trying to find best solution for what I am trying to achieve.

I see the drive as RAW. Have a feeling of I ran recovery software I might be able to retrieve the data.

Anyhow I will try to format the drive and try again without manual mode.

My only concern is if I lose the Qnap I won't be able to access the drive either coz it's only accessible through Qnap.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

I see the drive as RAW. Have a feeling of I ran recovery software I might be able to retrieve the data.
It's AES-256 encrypted.
Recovery software will not retrieve any plaintext from that level of encryption.
'Raw' just means there is no recognised partition.
The partition area may be part of the encryption scope, but I'm guessing there.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
StardustOne
Know my way around

Post by StardustOne »

I ran into the same issue, in 2021. I format with NTFS, I have AES because I do not want my data to be stolen. I cannot see the data on Windows 10. What is the point of doing an NTFS format when you cannot read the data?

Every clever USB stick that I know has a small program onto the drive that would allow you to access this program and then enter a password. I have also told the drive format in QNAP to write the password and I assumed this would then work like I know it from other companies.

It is incredilby not cool to have a drive backup that is encrypted (great for security) but to use that data you then need to buy a new QNAP NAS in case your old one dies and you want to restore data from a prevously made backup.

What is the logic behind having a backup onto an external disk in encrypted form and you cannot restore it to any other computer? After I have now had this experience, I go back and format this drive again in QNAP and select no ecryption. The data is then readable, not logical to me but every thief is now happy that the data just can be extraced from the external disk.
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

The back is intended to be restored to a NAS, not a desktop computer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Users' Corner”