qnap ts-431 increase RAID size fails

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
pashby
New here

qnap ts-431 increase RAID size fails

Post by pashby »

Hi there everyone.
I am having problems increasing my TS-431 RAID size.
I originally set up the RAID with 4 Terrabyte Western Digital drives in RAID 10 configuration. This worked nicely and I used the 431 in this config. Unfortunately in this config I only have 1.7 TB of storage so I set about the laborious process of removing the WD drives and replacing them with 4 2TB Toshiba drives (on the recommended list). This involved removing each drive, replacing with the new Toshiba's and rebuilding the RAID for times.
After the final rebuild when the last Toshiba went in I saw I could increase the storage to 3.62 TB. There was a nice button labelled 'Expand Capacity'. I pressed it but no cigar. I was informed that it would take a while and then that it had started but after a few seconds the message 'RAID size expansion failed' came up. Now this doesn't tell me a lot and since I'm new to NAS4FREE and RAIDS I'm stuck.
Is it possible to increase my RAID storage? If so can I be led along the correct path.
Hoping that a kind person will be able to help.
Thanks Peter
schumaku
Guru

Re: qnap ts-431 increase RAID size fails

Post by schumaku »

Reads like you followed the documented, UI guided process for replacing the HDD one by one instead of "just" replacing the HDD. On the "bigger" units the RAID capacity expansion is mostly flawless.

If the Expand Capacity does not work, most users don't do this regularly, and the TS-x31 series being a little bit special ... please get in touch with the QNAP Customer Service on https://helpdesk.qnap.com/ for checking your NAS, and what did cause the issue.

Regards,
-Kurt

PS. Not sure how this is related to the NAS4FREE project.
pashby
New here

Re: qnap ts-431 increase RAID size fails

Post by pashby »

Sorry working on two projects. Should be Qnap 431.

Return to “Users' Corner”