[Megathread] Moogle's QNAP FAQ help

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.

Did this megathread FAQ help?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 15

schumaku
Guru

Re: [Megathread] Moogle's QNAP FAQ help

Post by schumaku »

ccclapp wrote:
schumaku wrote:Unless the notebook does not have a GbE port, something must be badly broken on your cabling and/or the switches involved.
Are you saying "normal" ie 1,000 Mbps Ethernet should have real-world sustained speed > 112MB/s?
About this theoretical number - minus protocol overhead, yes. Modern switches have full non-blocking switching capability.
ccclapp
Starting out

Post by ccclapp »

Okay great. on quick access port I get 112MB/s . If I can beat that with "normal" ethernet over wire that's terrific. What speed should I expect to sustain?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

about 100...108 MB/s or more. Depends on the protocol - what are you using to get 112 MB/s?
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

schumaku wrote:All current QA ports are indeed 1 GbE implementations. If Multigig is becoming more popular, convinced QNAP will boost new hardware QA ports to 2.5 or 5 GbE.
thats a bummer. well hope it does get improved. maybe for now it's only purpose is for devices that do not have an ethernet port available (but do have usb port), or am i missing other reasons for using QA over ethernet port? :shock:

anyway the QA stuff i'll add it to the FAQ later since got a bunch of useful info.
schumaku wrote:Unless the notebook does not have a GbE port, something must be badly broken on your cabling and/or the switches involved. You should have an eye on this to fix this than think about whatever docks which are unlikely supported or workable on the QNAP NAS.

Back to Moogle now.
tbh not sure i can help much either on this. hubs i'm least familiar with. if i do find something that really does have a good explanation about why to use hubs, i'll link it to the faq.

ccclapp wrote:Yes, I have a 473 thinking that is what I needed. 1 week later, I have ordered an 682 pentium, and an i7 6700k chip to swap into it to max out power. I am certain tat on the x73 the QA poer is limited to 1GbE. For me it sustains 112MBps. QNAP documentation confirms 1GBe. For my notebook that speed is better than ethernet, since not degradation (i.e. I dont get 1GbE via wire).
TVS-X73 series are all using amd cpus though (specifically the AMD R-Series RX-421BD quad-core 2.1 GHz processor, turbo core to 3.4 GHz ). I don't think using intel cpus on them would work :shock: (maybe if you swapped the motherboard too but i'm not aware of any modders for qnap doing this hm)

Code: Select all

https://www.qnap.com/en/product/contrast.php?cp[]=256&cp[]=255&cp[]=254&ref=product_overview
QNAP TVS-473-16G 4-Bay NAS Review
https://www.kitguru.net/professional/ne ... -review-2/

ccclapp wrote: Sorry to take up a bunch of your page! I will report back if I learn anything meaningful, but otherwise leave you alone (for now) ;-)

Thanks for your efforts!
no prob ask/chat away. megathread no holds barred :D and thanks.

What is a megathread
megathread
A topic on an internet chat board that has an excessively large number of responses to the original post.
This megathread has taken on a life of its own, the discussion now bears no resemblance to the original topic
but if it's something i don't know, you'll get better chance of it being answered with a new thread with a more tailored title for better visibility by others to respond to :)

my megathread as long as i got the first few ts posts that link to changelog (page2), from where it points to the pages that contains the relevant info/subject matter, then the extra chatter should not really matter or impact the functionality of this FAQ megathread :) so chat/ask away.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
ccclapp
Starting out

Post by ccclapp »

schumaku wrote:- what are you using to get 112 MB/s?
Here is my very-friendly-jab reply...
Okay great. on quick access port I get 112MB/s .
...Read the 4th-6th words ;-)
ccclapp
Starting out

Post by ccclapp »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:
ccclapp wrote:Yes, I have a 473 thinking that is what I needed. 1 week later, I have ordered an 682 pentium, and an i7 6700k chip to swap into it to max out power. I am certain tat on the x73 the QA poer is limited to 1GbE. For me it sustains 112MBps. QNAP documentation confirms 1GBe. For my notebook that speed is better than ethernet, since not degradation (i.e. I dont get 1GbE via wire).
TVS-X73 series are all using amd cpus though (specifically the AMD R-Series RX-421BD quad-core 2.1 GHz processor, turbo core to 3.4 GHz ). I don't think using intel cpus on them !
yes. What I was trying to say was last week I bought a 473 and this week I bought a 682 Pentium, which I will upgrade to i7… Because the AMD 473 was not powerful enough for my needs.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

ccclapp wrote: 682 Pentium, which I will upgrade to i7… Because the AMD 473 was not powerful enough for my needs.
you mean this?

TVS-682T (but is a i3-6100 3.7 GHz dual-core processor though)

I saw people upgraded to I7 for it here
viewtopic.php?t=126977
Cbrad01 wrote:
goldmanp wrote:Hi, what TDP have you used for the TVS-68s CPU upgrade?
Thanks!
I used a 65 watt, i7-6700 8M, BX80662I76700.
I am still using the stock Qnap passive CPU heat sink and so far so good.
I have been pusing it fairly hard, she has 6 windows VMs rung plus PLEX,and so far so good.
I have ordered second fan to go into the fan bracket over the m2 drives.
So,far heat on the CPU doesn't seem high, but the m2 drives seem a bit hot.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
ccclapp
Starting out

Post by ccclapp »

I'm on my phone so excuse me if I don't catch every word but, there is even a lower model , a Pentium version available on Amazon with two week backorder. It's $100 less than the i3 . That's what I picked because I'm gonna rip out the processor anyway and put in a maximum power i7 6700k , which will require additional cooling because it's an unlocked/overclock version. the norma i7 6700 does not require that cooling FYI. also, the advantage to cooling is it greatly quiets the machine
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

ccclapp wrote:I'm on my phone so excuse me if I don't catch every word but, there is even a lower model , a Pentium version available on Amazon with two week backorder. It's $100 less than the i3 . That's what I picked because I'm gonna rip out the processor anyway and put in a maximum power i7 6700k , which will require additional cooling because it's an unlocked/overclock version. the norma i7 6700 does not require that cooling FYI. also, the advantage to cooling is it greatly quiets the machine
ah that makes sense :)
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

how to translate language to communicate on the forum
jamisiek1978 wrote:I think that with today's translator capabilities, information is more important than language.
https://translate.google.com/

agreed to some extent :) txt translation probably works better than voice translations by far. but even then i'd just try get a rough sense of the general meaning of the content is trying to express for most part, as not everything may be as precisely/correctly translated.

But because this forum is English speakers mostly, out of courtesy, non native speakers should translate to English themselves beforehand, and not expect the English forum to do on their behalf. Just a friendly tip, because otherwise chances are most often than not your post will get overlooked or passed over :shock:

[youtube=]RFxajXTQWkE[/youtube]

[youtube=]Ro-HfETpzhc[/youtube]

Why google translate may not always be perfect, requiring user caution when trying to interpret meanings of foreign languages with different culture or language oddities
i recall a few articles i read recently that came to mind

This one explains how mexicans perceive time culture differently. One guy ordered an ice cream thinking it's coming soon but when it didn't he asked again and the guy repeated dragging out the ‘i’ ‒ “Ahoriiiiita”. His face was a mix of confusion and maybe even embarrassment. apparently When someone from Mexico says ‘ahorita’, they should almost never be taken literally. “When a Mexican says ‘ahorita’, it could mean tomorrow, in an hour, within five years or never.” Kinda bizarre to most people from not mexico how anyone could be so lax and inprecise with something as important as time like that :shock:
http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2017072 ... -tell-time

why people think German's aren't funny (it gets lost in translation, and when your expected to explain it to non german speakers, it's no longer funny)
http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2017080 ... rent-funny
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

are Budget GPUs Still bad? | RX550 VS GT1030 *2017 relevancy
[youtube=]dmzSSrBegXs[/youtube]
Randall Smith
Realistically these are cards for HTPCs. If I wanted to build a budget gaming rig I would be looking at the RX 460/560 or the GTX 1050.
Jacob Abercrombie
Can't get one that works as well at 30 watts like the gt 1030. Just bought one for my vm server, best bang for the watt.
Dac Deathom
1030 30 W TDP is an impressive achievement for Nvidia
Fred Flintstone
Also these arent gaming cards btw lol. Meant for HTPC's and a cheap way to get HDMI 2.0 for 4k 60hz playback, the gt series does not even have gsync or shadowplay.
Jonathan
I always check the power consumption R550= 45W... GT1030= 35W If you are planning to run this on a green house(Solar array) you care for any single watt!
Guna Ravikrishna
So its gt 1030 2 GB vs RX 550 4 GB
LazyGeekgamer HD
Basically get a Gtx 1050
Also do keep in mind, at time of posting, Amd is on cusp of releasing Vega RX a new architecture. Also Nvidia's true new architecture the volta is also coming out soon after. So the budget gpus on those newer architectures may have differences from the current available budget gpu lineup as shown in the video.
NAS

Network

Resources
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:- change smb 1.0 to smb 2.0 (sadly no smb 3.0 :( * IIRC cat1 nas's do not support this )
So ... experimental mood?

1. Disable CIFS/SMB 1.0:

Note: This can work with QTS 4.2.6 20170729 (on TS-x39, TS-x59, TS509, TS-809, and all Marvell Kirkwood when I'm right) and newer as well as on any QTS 4.3.x model as all these comes with SAMBA 4 now - remove the line if reverting to earlier firmware:

[~] # setcfg -f /etc/config/smb.conf global "min protocol" SMB2_02
[~] # /etc/init.d/smb.sh restart
Restarting SMB services:
Shutting down SMB services: smbd nmbd.
Shutting down winbindd services: winbindd.
/bin/cp: cannot stat `/etc/default_config/logrotate.conf': No such file or directory <<<<<<<<< reported to QNAP already - it's ADDC related only, it does not hurt, and we have no ADDC support on CAT1
/bin/cp: cannot stat `/etc/default_config/logrotate.d': No such file or directory <<<<<<<<< reported to QNAP already - it's ADDC related only, it does not hurt, and we have no ADDC support on CAT1
locks path was set to /share/MD1_DATA/.locks
Starting winbindd services: winbindd.
Starting SMB services:.
done.

Now the NAS should no longer accept or negotiate to any protocol lower than SMB 2.02 anymore.

2. SMB 3.0:

Note: This can work with QTS 4.2.6 20170729 (on TS-x39, TS-x59, TS509, TS-809, and all Marvell Kirkwood when I'm right) and newer as this comes with SAMBA 4:

[~] # setcfg Samba server_max_protocol_custom TRUE

The "server_max_protocol_custom" override should be no longer required sometimes in the future.

[~] # smb3enable
Shutting down SMB services: smbd nmbd.
max protocol SMB 3.0 ... enabled.
/bin/cp: cannot stat `/etc/default_config/logrotate.conf': No such file or directory <<<<<<<<< reported to QNAP already - it's ADDC related only, it does not hurt, and we have no ADDC support on CAT1
/bin/cp: cannot stat `/etc/default_config/logrotate.d': No such file or directory <<<<<<<<< reported to QNAP already - it's ADDC related only, it does not hurt, and we have no ADDC support on CAT1
locks path was set to /share/MD1_DATA/.locks
Starting winbindd services: winbindd.
Starting SMB services:.

smbd (samba daemon) Version 4.0.25
smbd (samba daemon) is running.
max protocol SMB 3.0 enabled.

Have fun!

-Kurt

PS. Everything unsupported, at our own risk :mrgreen:
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

schumaku wrote:So ... experimental mood?
been kinda busy lately. just ping/quote me to alert me if any edits needed like you did.

interesting now there's a path to smb3 though :) SMB1 is clearly not safe period.
Essentially, the 30-year-old SMB 1 protocol permits man-in-the-middle exploits and it "isn't safe" to use, Pyle noted. An attacker can use SMB 2 to pull information from the insecure SMB 1 protocol if it exists in a network, he explained:

The nasty bit is that no matter how you secure all these things, if your clients use SMB1, then a man-in-the-middle can tell your client to ignore all the above. All they need to do is block SMB2+ on themselves and answer to your server's name or IP. Your client will happily derp away on SMB1 and share all its darkest secrets unless you required encryption on that share to prevent SMB1 in the first place. This is not theoretical -- we've seen it.

Analysis by Kaspersky Lab had indicated that SMB 2 was involved in the WannaCry ransomware attacks. It seems that the flaw actually resides in SMB 1, but attackers use SMB 2 as part of the exploit, according to Pyle's explanation above.

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2017/05 ... smb-1.aspx

but SMB2? hm. this article probably covers it

SMB 2 and SMB 3 security in Windows 10: the anatomy of signing and cryptographic keys

Code: Select all

Security considerations in SMB2 and SMB3
This article focuses on how MS-SMB2 achieves message integrity and confidentially for the authenticated user. We elaborate on the link as well as the distinction between the GSS-authenticated user session and the SMB2 session.

SMB2 message integrity ensures that packets are not tampered or replayed while in-flight. Signing has always been part of the SMB2 protocol since its beginning in dialect 2.0.2 (Windows Vista). SMB 3.0 (Windows 8) adds a new signing algorithm and key calculation.

Confidentiality provides secure data access over untrusted networks by preventing data inspection. SMB 3.0 introduces end-to-end encryption built in the protocol. In SMB 3.1.1 (Windows 10), the encryption algorithm can be negotiated, and the cryptographic key computation is enhanced with pre-authentication integrity.
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/opensp ... phic-keys/

i'll bump it into the smb section of the faq, thx.
NAS

Network

Resources
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

Moogle, just a suggestion, you need to reference links to individual posts/topics on the first post, as it has become a increasingly hard to find the right
topic of information without scrolling through pages information.

Each post with have a title URL which is the "post" ID. link that to a URL in the first post with the topic of that post.

Users can then look at the first post, read the topic titles/URLs and click on the link for the correct post. ;)
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Toxic17 wrote:....
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I'm currently in awol status make sure to quote me like this to give me a notification on forum, so i can check :) almost missed your msg.

Just some explanation for the current setup

I refrained from relocating the changelog from page2 to page1 first post because currently it's using a direct link which is merely 1 click away so i didn't feel the need to do this. More importantly the first thing people see is a brief explanation what this FAQ megathread is and how to navigate it (very important), and just immediately below it is help desk ticket creation which is usually the first things newbies ought to know.

I also tried to post more of the top FAQ questions early on in page1 especially for initial setup for QNAP like the storage pool volumes explanation which newbies get confused about during the initial setup.

so for urls, i'd love to add as many urls but there is a limit. Whenever i reach the limit i start to use the code tag (or remove less important urls). That's why in changelog it's a mix of direct urls, or just reference to topic title tags (which also mentions which page the article is located at)

Once at the specified page, ctrl+f in browser is the primary way to find the coded article in question. And at the article, it may have further links to other forum posts/threads or even source material on subject matter.

Toxic17 wrote:Moogle, just a suggestion, you need to reference links to individual posts/topics on the first post, as it has
Toxic17 wrote:become a increasingly hard to find the right
topic of information without scrolling through pages information.
ctrl+f is the primary mode for finding info. the changelog mentions all the pages for location of articles to narrow down the search. I strongly recommend against manually scrolling search manually, cause a ctrl+f is far quicker and saves time. I tested this approach, and at best you can jump immediately from 1 false positive or related topic with the keyword within 5 seconds tops.
Toxic17 wrote: Each post with have a title URL which is the "post" ID. link that to a URL in the first post with the topic of that post.
I did consider early on about post ID's however because single posts share other help articles, i felt that using title headers for subjects was more fine tuning in comparison to immediately go to the exact article someone is searching for.

However maybe in addition to
-page number
- code tag for title header

I could also include the page id for location as well going forward? I'll try that for future additions to beta test that approach. So people can now search 2 ways, either enter the page id then scroll find themselves, or just go to relevant page and ctrl+f find that way.

But i would only be able to add a partial page id probably in code format, rather than an actual direct clickable link. due to the forum limitations for links allowed in a single post.
Toxic17 wrote: Users can then look at the first post, read the topic titles/URLs and click on the link for the correct post. ;)
Yes i saw your sig style it's very clean and neat, i like it. But for now i'll keep a changelog link on page1 first post that goes direct to the changelog post in page2 (because then the 1st post in page1 is not flooded with changelog text, but is still easily accessible and transparent for first time viewers and anyone using this megathread).

I will however for future articles in addition to adding the article title headers in code tags, i will also add a 2nd tag for post id as well.

If it works well, i'll consider back tracking and doing the same for previous articles :)
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Users' Corner”