Ryzen TS-X77 available for sale now?

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
troubleshooter
Starting out

Re: Ryzen TS-X77 on sale in late July?

Post by troubleshooter »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:
troubleshooter wrote: Saw this article along with a few others reading through the forums.. Thanks for the heads up though, much appreciated.. :)
I just received an email notification it's officially launched and for sale. i'm already trying to preorder one. hopefully get it before christmas :]

[youtube=]vTGtjF7Xe3A[/youtube]
Nothing yet... :( Still waiting... I read somewhere , 11-16-17 they would be available to order, and on another site, it says 20 days out yet... Soon , soon hopefully.. :)
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

They are now listed in SPAN.com & Amazon, although both are awaiting inventory. Span is showing 20 days out for inventory right now.

TS-677-1600:
span.com
Amazon US

TS-877-1600:
span.com
Amazon US

TS-1277-1600:
span.com
Amazon US
Last edited by Trexx on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
troubleshooter
Starting out

Post by troubleshooter »

Trexx wrote:They are now listed in SPAN.com & Amazon, although both are awaiting inventory. Span is showing 20 days out for inventory right now.

TS-677-1600:
span.com
Amazon US

TS-877-1600:
span.com
Amazon US

TS-1277-1600:
span.com
Amazon US
That’s basically what I just said.. :) .. I forgot the name of the site that said 20 days out.. :). That was span.com I saw it on, just could not remember .. :lol: I did not know about amazon though, thanks for the link, much appreciated..
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The amazon site must be glitching .. otherwise .. who wants to share an order of two units with me ? :P
GoodDeal.JPG
GoodDeal2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
troubleshooter
Starting out

Post by troubleshooter »

Still 20 days out on span.com, and amazon still out of stock, I cannot believe it.. I also was reading on the net that 11-16-17 was the target date, but still nothing.. ARGHHH Hurry.. :DD Anyone have any other info??
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

well someone already got a 677 :shock:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=137258
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
troubleshooter
Starting out

Post by troubleshooter »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:well someone already got a 677 :shock:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=137258
How The :S :DD
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Per QNAP's message on Facebook, TS-x77 should start hitting resellers/distributors next week.
Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
troubleshooter
Starting out

Post by troubleshooter »

Trexx wrote:Per QNAP's message on Facebook, TS-x77 should start hitting resellers/distributors next week.
Very cool, I saw the post as well.. Guess we will find out soon enough.. :D
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

also with ryzen platform you can avoid the security issue plaguing intel chips
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/0 ... e_exploit/
Thus, AMT is designed to allow IT admins to remotely log into the guts of computers so they can reboot a knackered machine, repair and tweak the operating system, install a new OS, access a virtual serial console, or gain full-blown remote desktop access via VNC. It is, essentially, god mode.

Normally, AMT is password protected. This week it emerged this authentication can be bypassed, potentially allowing miscreants to take over systems from afar or once inside a corporate network. This critical security bug was designated CVE-2017-5689. While Intel has patched its code, people have to pester their hardware suppliers for the necessary updates before they can be installed.

Today we've learned it is trivial to exploit this flaw, allowing anyone to gain control of vulnerable systems without a password.

AMT is accessed over the network via a bog-standard web interface: the service listens on ports 16992 and 16993. Visiting this with a browser brings up a prompt for a password, and this passphrase is sent using standard HTTP Digest authentication: the username and password are hashed using a nonce from the AMT firmware plus a few other bits of metadata. This scrambled response is checked by the AMT software to be valid, and if so, access is granted to the management interface.

But if you send an empty response, the firmware is fooled into thinking this is correct and lets you through. This means if you use a proxy to change the response to an empty string, or otherwise set up your browser to send empty HTTP Digest authentication responses, you can bypass the password checks.
If you're using a vPro-enabled processor and have provisioned AMT versions 6 to 11.6 on your network, you are definitely at risk of the above vulnerability. This also affects Intel's Standard Manageability (ISM) and Small Business Technology (SBT) products. We recommend you use Intel's utility to double check whether or not you are being silently menaced by this bug.

How bad is this bug? Pretty bad. "The exploit is trivial, a maximum of five lines of Python, and could be doable in a one-line shell command," said SSH inventor Tatu Ylonen.

"It gives full control of affected machines, including the ability to read and modify everything. It can be used to install persistent malware – possibly in the firmware – and read and modify any data. For security servers, it may allow disabling security features, creating fake credentials, or obtaining root keys.

"Disable AMT today. Mobilize whomever you need. Start from the most critical servers: Active Directory, certificate authorities, critical databases, code signing servers, firewalls, security servers, HSMs (if they have it enabled). For data centers, if you can, block ports 16992, 16993, 16994, 16995, 623, 664 in internal firewalls now.

"If you have anything connected to the Internet with AMT on, disable it now. Assume the server has already been compromised."

The last time we looked on Shodan, there were more than 8,000 potentially vulnerable systems on the public internet. There will be thousands upon thousands more on internal corporate networks.
Intel: We’ve Found Severe Bugs in Secretive Management Engine, Affecting Millions

Thanks to an investigation by third-party researchers into Intel's hidden firmware in certain chips, Intel decided to audit its firmware and on Monday confirmed it had found 11 severe bugs that affect millions of computers and servers. The flaws affect Management Engine (ME), Trusted Execution Engine (TXE), and Server Platform Services (SPS).

The bugs affect systems using Intel's 6th, 7th, and 8th Generation Core CPUs, a range of Xeon processors, as well the Apollo Lab Atom E3900 series, Apollo Lake Pentium, and Celeron N and J series chips. Intel says the flaws would allow an attacker to "Impersonate the ME/SPS/TXE, thereby impacting local security feature attestation validity". The attacker could also load and execute arbitrary code that would be invisible to the user and operating system.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
talnas
Starting out

Post by talnas »

I'm looking forward to the reviews. Few things I want to check before I make the upgrade from the TS-453a I have.
Currently looking at getting the TS-1277 8GB version. I'll perform a memory upgrade, to either 16 or 32GB, once I've seen some reviews and read some posts from people on here. Hopefully I can simply move the 4 x 6TB drives in the 453a into the TS-1277 and it is will recognise the RAID and boot, without me losing any data. Otherwise I'll struggle making a copy of the data, as this is for home use - plex, file server use only.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

talnas wrote:I'm looking forward to the reviews. Few things I want to check before I make the upgrade from the TS-453a I have.
Currently looking at getting the TS-1277 8GB version. I'll perform a memory upgrade, to either 16 or 32GB, once I've seen some reviews and read some posts from people on here. Hopefully I can simply move the 4 x 6TB drives in the 453a into the TS-1277 and it is will recognise the RAID and boot, without me losing any data. Otherwise I'll struggle making a copy of the data, as this is for home use - plex, file server use only.
i don't think there will be an issue booting down first both units, then moving the HDDs from 453a to the 1277, booting up the x77 (you should not lose data doing this). this is called QNAP's NAS migration, it should be mentioned in the NAS manual (i recommend at least updating both units to the latest stable before doing this). though since it's a new model you need to check whether it's supported or not (firmware on both units, and whether model to that model works for nas migration).

this is to avoid the inconvenience and downtime for moving to a new nas. though if you have backups and you can handle downtime, i still normally format and reinitialize from scratch.

For me i use multiple qnaps, so to recover my backup (on another qnap), i would use HBS rtrr recover (this would be done from the new nas).

the x77 series is either a 1600 or 1700 cpu depending which model variation you get. should be more than capable for plex x264 transcoding.

PS: new in 4.3.4 beta firmware, the order of the hdd will tell you if you put the order of the hdd incorrectly. i'm not sure does it tell you to reinsert into the correct bay, or will it just work regardless if you didn't put in the matching order from the previous NAS. i never tried this before. In 4.3.3 you need to carefully insert HDD same order the hdd in same bay slots or nas migration won't work.
NAS

Network

Resources
talnas
Starting out

Re: Ryzen TS-X77 available for sale now?

Post by talnas »

Thank Moogle, I thought that may have been the case, but I'll re-read the manual and I'll make sure my current NAS is on the same firmware when I get the 1277.
Looking at the 1600 variant. Currently have a 1700 in my machine, which handles h.264 and h.265 without any issues.
Over time I may upgrade the CPU, if needed, or if the Zen2 chips are compatible (same pins / 65W) and that would ONLY be because I can :DD

The other thing I'm interested in, is the GPU pass-through - whether I use this for a VM or for media transcoding. Trouble is I don't think Plex will utilise this and it will be the QNAP app - Media Station....
Time will tell though, so keeping a close on these forums and any reviews posted.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Ryzen TS-X77 available for sale now?

Post by Trexx »

talnas wrote:Thank Moogle, I thought that may have been the case, but I'll re-read the manual and I'll make sure my current NAS is on the same firmware when I get the 1277.
Looking at the 1600 variant. Currently have a 1700 in my machine, which handles h.264 and h.265 without any issues.
Over time I may upgrade the CPU, if needed, or if the Zen2 chips are compatible (same pins / 65W) and that would ONLY be because I can :DD

The other thing I'm interested in, is the GPU pass-through - whether I use this for a VM or for media transcoding. Trouble is I don't think Plex will utilise this and it will be the QNAP app - Media Station....
Time will tell though, so keeping a close on these forums and any reviews posted.
If you look at passmarks, the 1700 has a minimal increase over the 1600. While you get more cores/threads they run a little slower.

As for Plex GPU support, current they only support QSV, but with some driver updates coming out of Intel I would be surprised to see Nvidia supported in 2018.

Fo VMs, Qnap has had that out in some other models for a while so should be a non issue.

As for Zen2 upgrades, it may also require a bios update to recognize it properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paul

Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Ryzen TS-X77 available for sale now?

reviews are starting to pop up :shock:

this is the power of ryzen with it's many cores for VM.

QNAP TS-1277 + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti - 5 VM Test
[youtube=]G1aSG43yVRw[/youtube]

QNAP TS-1277 + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti - 13 VM Test
[youtube=]N9MuuE5fpIY[/youtube]

QNAP TS-1277 M.2 SATA SSD fio read/write speed test
[youtube=]voezSJCNFaY[/youtube]
QNAP TS-1277(NVIDIA GTX 960) vs QNAP TS-453B vs Synology DS918+ Transcoding Test
[youtube=]n4Kb1yJc7iI[/youtube]
TS-1277 (NVIDIA GTX 960) Time Used = 34 s (Main@L3.1)
TS-453B (Intel J3455) Time Used = 54 s (High@L5.1)
DS918+ (Intel J3455) Time Used = 51 s (Main@L3.2)
[youtube=]M5uCyF6QKB0[/youtube]

sold :shock:

ok so hope mine arrives soon by Christmas :) Going for a 6bay model which should be the ts-877. 4bay is nice though, but 6bay suits me better for room to expand. For graphics probably going for a 1050 GTX. TI version is nicer but in local markets the price is jacked up. just need a cheap graphics that supports the latest pascal architecture. For m.2 probably 2 x samsung 850 EVO 250gb

this MSI 1050gtx might fit at least i hope it will. seems small enough.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DZtWGX ... -itx-2g-oc

talnas wrote:Thank Moogle, I thought that may have been the case, but I'll re-read the manual and I'll make sure my current NAS is on the same firmware when I get the 1277.

even if plex doesn't yet do graphics card hardware acceleration, i wonder whether emby might?
If you're wondering why it's because we have to build for QNAP on a QNAP device, therefore it's not hooked into our automated build system. We're not going to manually produce daily betas as that will just be too much for us to handle. The reason the other NAS devices do get betas is because their build processes are bit more flexible.
https://emby.media/community/index.php? ... ng/page-16

https://emby.media/community/index.php? ... nc/page-58

The hardware video decoder setting allows the use of the following options:

-Intel Quick Sync
-NVidia NVENC
-Open MAX (OMX)
-VAAPI
https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Transcoding

I came to the same conclusion as you some time ago, although without investing nearly the effort you have. Ultimately GPU hardware acceleration will be a boon to Emby server transcoding, as it already is to PC clients direct-streaming HEVC. But Emby relies on a combination of MPV and FFMPEG, a cross-platform design choice (likely a good one) that puts us at the mercy of multiple interlocking pieces of software. And they are still in beta with regards to making use of the GPU capabilities.

I think this is a great effort, and I appreciate @Luke, your's, and several other's efforts. But while this is all interesting and exciting, the family just wants it to work. Sometimes I just want it to work. I hope development continues, but today it is still beta.
https://emby.media/community/index.php? ... ntry492160

but even if didn't cpu should be good enough to run x264 software transcoding. has the best video quality anyway.
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Users' Corner”