Ryzen TS-X77 available for sale now?

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Ryzen TS-X77 available for sale now?

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

found a performance review here for the 877
https://www.reddit.com/r/NAScompares/co ... tion_plex/

i don't use 4k media so not a concern for me. but seems like plex will work better for 4k transcoding without issue.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
troubleshooter
Starting out

Post by troubleshooter »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:found a performance review here for the 877
https://www.reddit.com/r/NAScompares/co ... tion_plex/

i don't use 4k media so not a concern for me. but seems like plex will work better for 4k transcoding without issue.
Very nice..... I do not use 4k media as well... Not sure what I am going to go with yet, Kodi or plex.. Each one has there positive and negatives.. Cannot wait to get the nas and set it up.. :DD
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

plex wins in terms of remote access mostly (access laptop or desktop over internet, or via wifi within the area of the qnap for smartphones and tablets). kodi wins for local playback and streaming (but that said plex is decent even in this area too i find).

videostation/hdstation if using graphics card ought to benefit from hardware acceleration for reduced cpu usage for transcoding. only needed if your probably using cpu for other things as well. otherwise just using x264 software transcoding has best quality.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
troubleshooter
Starting out

Post by troubleshooter »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:plex wins in terms of remote access mostly (access laptop or desktop over internet, or via wifi within the area of the qnap for smartphones and tablets). kodi wins for local playback and streaming (but that said plex is decent even in this area too i find).

videostation/hdstation if using graphics card ought to benefit from hardware acceleration for reduced cpu usage for transcoding. only needed if your probably using cpu for other things as well. otherwise just using x264 software transcoding has best quality.

Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated.. I have been using kodi for local streaming from my server, I have yet to play with plex.. When I get the ts-1277 I will setup plex to see how I like it and how it performs...
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

troubleshooter wrote: Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated.. I have been using kodi for local streaming from my server, I have yet to play with plex.. When I get the ts-1277 I will setup plex to see how I like it and how it performs...
for plex there a few settings you can adjust

x264 software. hurt cpu is highest (best quality but will abuse cpu). i'd probably start from this max setting and see if the video stutters or not during live transcoding. then can throttle it down to the next lower quality setting and try again.

the other setting is for remote devices. you can lower mbps speed to match the remote device broadband speed.
NAS

Network

Resources
troubleshooter
Starting out

Post by troubleshooter »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:
troubleshooter wrote: Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated.. I have been using kodi for local streaming from my server, I have yet to play with plex.. When I get the ts-1277 I will setup plex to see how I like it and how it performs...
for plex there a few settings you can adjust

x264 software. hurt cpu is highest (best quality but will abuse cpu). i'd probably start from this max setting and see if the video stutters or not during live transcoding. then can throttle it down to the next lower quality setting and try again.

the other setting is for remote devices. you can lower mbps speed to match the remote device broadband speed.
Thank you, much appreciated for your help.. I have been reading up on plex and will probably try it on the qnap when I set everything up.. I will not be doing any transcoding as I direct stream over my network now.. I have a netgear 626x at the moment to stream my media, I was going to purchase another netgear but decided to purchase the more powerful Qnap device because it can handle a lot more stuff, plus I wanted to try Qnap after reading so many great reviews on them.. :DD
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

this looks like an inexpensive option to add graphics card
[youtube=]9TKL3czbnUs[/youtube]

:)
NAS

Network

Resources
troubleshooter
Starting out

Post by troubleshooter »

Got mine yesterday, its not as easy as I thought it would be to setup.. I am going to try again today, it definetly is more of a PIA then my netgear was.. But I like the challenge.. :DD
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

You may want to look at this: https://start.qnap.com/useng/index.php

Short version, install all parts (memory/m.2/ssd/hdds/etc.) before powering on. Connect *1* NW cable to your network. Install QFinder Pro on PC and "find" NAS. Start setup/install and update FW. If you are using NVidia card, you must use QTS 4.3.4 beta to get both HDStation/Linux options along side VS.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
troubleshooter
Starting out

Post by troubleshooter »

Trexx wrote:You may want to look at this: https://start.qnap.com/useng/index.php

Short version, install all parts (memory/m.2/ssd/hdds/etc.) before powering on. Connect *1* NW cable to your network. Install QFinder Pro on PC and "find" NAS. Start setup/install and update FW. If you are using NVidia card, you must use QTS 4.3.4 beta to get both HDStation/Linux options along side VS.
Thanks for the help... This morning thinking with a clear head I was able to login and I am starting to set things up.. Last night I was aggravated and tired so I was not thinking straight.. I spent 3 hours trying to set it up for the first time, creating username, registering nas name, etc, etc.. Then it was not allowing me to login.. This morning with a clear head I was able to get in within 10 minutes.. :DD My netgear 626x was definetly much easier to get up in running within minutes.. There is so much more you can do with the qnap thats why I purchased it.. Now the fun starts.. :DD
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

No problem. Qnap has a lot of good videos on YouTube under Qnap System and QnapTV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
troubleshooter
Starting out

Post by troubleshooter »

Trexx wrote:No problem. Qnap has a lot of good videos on YouTube under Qnap System and QnapTV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I must say that I am really impressed with this unit.. First the shipping, it came triple boxed, very nice.. The unit itself is solid and is whisper quiet, I have my netgear 626x next to it and the Qnap is quieter then the netgear, not a knock to my netgear though, it is a great unit.. Back to the Qnap, after poking around after initial setup , I see that there is so much that this unit can do, lots of apps, menu's, tons of options, its going to take me a while to go through everything and see what I want to setup and use... Just wanted to let everyone know that I am really happy with my purchase.. :DD
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Glad to hear. 1st things to do.. get a compatible UPS w/USB connectivity installed and setup. 2nd get your external backups configured (which could be to your old netgear box).

After that, the fun comes :)
Paul

troubleshooter
Starting out

Post by troubleshooter »

Trexx wrote:Glad to hear. 1st things to do.. get a compatible UPS w/USB connectivity installed and setup. 2nd get your external backups configured (which could be to your old netgear box).

After that, the fun comes :)
I already have a battery backup.. APC , it runs both nas's, the fun already started.. :DD Thanks for the heads up though, as always, appreciated...
MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit »

Everyone still happy with this unit? My 569L is getting old and this looks like a great upgrade.
Model: TVS-872XT 16GB
Model: TS-877-1700 16GB

Return to “Users' Corner”