How to recover using Netback Replicator & win 10 clean install

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

How to recover using Netback Replicator & win 10 clean install

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Okay this was a tipsy.

I didn't want to suggest or advise others on this unless i tried it for myself. So in case you were wondering where i disappeared off to today, well i was backing up and doing a clean reinstall of Windows 10 to test out Qnap's netback replicator just to make this guide for you all :)

the proof

Anyway this app seems good because you have a few options. the one i used was instant backup. Then the 2nd test i did was restore.

step1:

download netback replicator

https://www.qnap.com/en/utilities

step 2:

pick either auto backup, schedule backup, instant backup, instant restore (okay maybe not this at this point in time, cause i'm assuming your just starting out).

For this test i ran instant backup, because i didn't plan on setting this for auto or schedule. Though if the test works out great, i just might.

anyway you do the backup. I created a share on my QNAP called windows backup to be easily identifiable. Netback requests credentials to access, so input that.

While it's backing up, i prepared installation files i might need for my desktop. To remember the apps you had installed i suggest using SUMO which can generate a text file of all the apps you have installed. I got many apps so this is a life saver to know what i need to reinstall back.

stuff i download are like

-drivers (intel has a driver utility, but if thats not enough you can try driver booster) *update: after further review, intel driver utility was no where nearly as excellent as driver booster, especially the DB 5 beta available for free to test
-chrome browser, saved my chrome extension settings so i can import them back later ( i recommend session buddy if your saving all your bookmarks. can easily load back everything. And combine that with the great suspender, you can keep ram use under control as well ).
- anti virus (avira is a good free av but if you can afford bit defender is probably better. Avoid kaspersky unless you like russian spies :S ), and anti malware like (Malwarebytes and hitman pro) there other good stuff like zemana anti key logger. Shadow defender is also solid protection. These stuff are usually the things you want to install at the top of the list for a fresh windows install.
- samsung magician ( i use a samsung 850 pro ssd. need this app to over provision the ssd for performance reasons)
- stardock fences (or free alternatives like Nimi)
http://www.techshout.com/alternatives/2 ... ernatives/

So all that prep stuff just move it onto your NAS. I moved mine to a share sub folder called restore desktop. use simple and easily recognizable location on the NAS, a sub folder that is dated may also help you know that batch is only as recent the day you set it up.

- If your like me and you use keepass, remember to always back that key database. I made sure mine was backed up to multiple sources like NAS and usb stick. So after i finish reformat i can easily get back login credentials to all the sites and stuff, this is really important to remember :shock:

- and also the windows 10 which you can download and put onto usb flash stick using the windows 10 pro media creation tool
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/softwar ... /windows10

Anyway once backup completes and you finished your prep, it's time to move onto the next step.

step3:

I made this guide for windows 10 users so... :( Use the reset button. Go to start, recovery, reset, clean remove everything (ONLY FOR THE DRIVE WHERE WINDOWS IS INSTALLED ON). I don't recommend formating all other drives cept windows. unless you already backed up those other NON os hard drives, or don't need to keep anything from there. I use my extra hard drives as storage, so i didn't want to format them.

Once it reset back to scratch and you did the initial windows setting then it boots up onto desktop, you can then restart (plugin your windows 10 usb stick).

on boot i press F2 or delete, because i got an Asus UEFI motherboard. I can then force it to boot from kingston usb stick with the windows 10. Then in win10 installer i click custom instal. Then delete/format recovery and OS HDD, then install.

At this point you should have a clean windows 10 install as far as i can tell :)

step4:

once restore completes, i checked logs, no errors. i also browsed to the backup locations like desktop and user folder, everything went back to their original locations. perfect :)

keep in mind that my username matches exatly as the previous username when i backed up. Just remember to keep the username the same if you want it to restore exactly.

The only thing that didn't get restored is the installed applications which i didn't expect them to be backed up anyway. Those apps i got to reinstall. I deleted the programs/programs x84 folders (on the non os hdds) before i reinstall, except for apps that are portable which i can simply create a shortcut to without having to reinstall.

reinstall all apps (this takes a lot of time :shock: )

update windows 10..... reboot...

download install o&o shutup use recommended settings, apply, close app to reboot
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

over provision ssd with samsung magician

benchmark ssd to confirm performance has been restored with fresh install

also reinstall graphics drivers for my nvidia 1080 asus strix pascal graphics card, because windows installed drivers.... so using guru3d DDU app i can do a clean driver install
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/dis ... nload.html

it reboots to save mode...

removing win10 bloat is a pain. reading further it's no wonder people hate w10 a lot, even this useless bloat is considered core, making removal hard or just less obvious to most people.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/easily-rem ... indows-10/

ducky were kind enough to make a small mini guide to securing your privacy (as best as you can anyway) on windows 10
https://spreadprivacy.com/windows-10-pr ... 1e73c1987d

step5:

once everything is all setup, you then be done. Now you have a clean system thanks to netbak replicator. So you can leave this app running on your desktop/laptop with scheduled backup. So at any point you get hit by ransomware, OR whenever you need to do a clean windows 10 install, you can start from step 1.

hope that helped :shock: *faint

PS: one of my hdd due to unrelated matter was not detected, so i had to use Aomei Partition assistant to assign it a drive letter. It became accessible right after that :mrgreen:
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: How to recover using Netback Replicator & win 10 clean install

Post by Toxic17 »

Personally I use Macrium reflect for backups/restores for full disc and new installations. Its fast and works well for cloning and imaging of discs. And is free for personal use ;)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: How to recover using Netback Replicator & win 10 clean install

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Toxic17 wrote:Personally I use Macrium reflect for backups/restores for full disc and new installations. Its fast and works well for cloning and imaging of discs. And is free for personal use ;)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
last time i tested aomei backupper pro. that software is similar in function with the netback replicator where you can backup your desktop/laptop to NAS, then restore. NAS is supported by abp :)

[youtube=]n903UAdGj2k[/youtube]

heard about macrium, i'll go watch some videos on it how that works :) thx
[youtube=]0wZp0P5mi4g[/youtube]
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Users' Corner”