[Megathread] Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.

Opinions on this MegaThread FAQ

81%
No Like
7%
Unsure
11%

Total votes: 27

Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: [Megathread] Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

=================Reserved==========================
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

how to connect Playstation 3 controller to PC

[youtube=]aYdGczH1dw0[/youtube]
Not qnap related topic but if your into gaming, this helps :)

Simply put just follow the youtube guide, it just works, no bullshi-t.

Some people use emulators to play console games on PC, but these days many titles got ported over to PC (some decent, others utter cra-p). But some games i find just play better on the excellent console controller (my favourite being the PS3 controller hence this guide).

If your playing fps games like doom, counter strike, quake champions, stick to mouse/keyboard. For RPG games like Final fantasy originally from console, i strongly recommend a console controller for pc.

Also why play console games on pc? because your pc may have better hardware especially graphics card. Also non of that 30fps bottleneck nonsense on consoles.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Graphics card for QNAP, what to consider?

1. size dimensions, will it fit?
2. is the graphics card supported?
3. amd vs nvidia? drivers and how they work for your work load types, like VM needs to be looked into.
4. pricing. For budget conscious users, Starting end of September 2017 there is expected to be a price increase for gpus due to shortage for gpu vram parts. Not to mention bit coin miners hogging all the gpus.

The nvidia 1050GTX may be a good gpu for a QNAP i feel. It uses the latest pascal architecture, on idle it does around 7 watts, and on load around 60-70 watts or so. For a NAS running 24/7 you want to consider that perhaps.

On a desktop nvidia settings your able to set the graphics card power whether to max or balance. Not sure about how it would work on a QNAP. maybe others can comment on this.
The new GeForce GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti are interesting products. They won’t set the gaming world aflame with blazing performance, but what they do is allow virtually any PC user to install a Pascal-based graphics card and enjoy many current games at 1080p, without having to worry about power supply limitations.

There are a multitude of inexpensive, OEM PCs in the wild with the necessary PCI Express slots to install a graphics card upgrade, that ship with relatively small power supplies that lack PCIe 6- or 8-pin power connectors. The GeForce GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti open up a whole new avenue of upgrade possibilities is these system types, due to their low-power GPU and lack of additional power requirement.

Read the full article here
https://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia- ... iew?page=7

The one i liked is something similar to the MSI 1050 AERO ITX ( 155 x 112 x 37 mm ), because it would fit in a small form factor, less chance it would not fit in a QNAP, but i would still recommend you to check dimensions first
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeFor ... C/Overview

another possible alternative is something like this GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GT LP (182 x 69 x 35 mm)

Initially i thought this model Palit 1050Ti StormX may be okay but in the specification it says height is dual slot. That means it's not a low profile card, so not sure this would fit. So when getting graphics card, make sure you check the dimension size first for width, height, length to see if it's compatible.

Also interesting to note, some cards like MSI have some features like Twin Frozr which would automatically change between active fan and idle fan based on your gpu temp. Whereas some gpus like the Aero ITX does not have this automatic fan mode. So if your looking for a graphics card with better quiet sound most of the time, you probably want to check those kinds of features on the graphics card your looking at.

1050TI is newer and a better performer, but if you just need pascal architecture then a 1050 will do. But if you can increase your budget then a 1050TI is better.

Uses for GPU on a Nvidia is for stuff such as

1. VM - if you want to add a graphics card so that the qnap literally becomes a computer with a output using a powerful graphics card. better than integrated intel chip at least if the card you installed is a decent one.
2. hardware acceleration. A nvidia gpu comes with NVENC so having installed it, you could probably use HW/acceleration using that if the software/app supports it. I'm not sure but maybe either Emby or Plex does perhaps?

[youtube=]BV5btdqQfu4[/youtube]

[youtube=]YxO4OFIBsdM[/youtube]

analysis of transcoding options

1. X264 is the best quality. But requires a good cpu for high resolution and high bit rate content.
2. Intel Quicksync HW/a: integrated in modern intel cpus, so no additional purchase necessary as long as an app supports hw/acceleration for it. Quality is not as good as x264 and NVENC.
3. NVENC is better than intel, but not as good as X264. Testing this personally on my 1080GTX, i use HEVC NVENC and it looks great and my pc doesn't lag :)

PS: only reason i suggested 1050gtx is because on reddit other users have used it before in such a setup just fine.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Suggestion to [Megathread]

Post by Toxic17 »

Moogle. Just a suggestion....

To make the the megathread easier to use it would be best to possibly edit each post and change the "title" of that post to give some unique identity to each post.

At present nearly ALL posts in the forum have the same post title as the Topic Title. However each post in this thread has a different topic of subject matter.

so in this post I have changed the title of the post to actually mean something rather than use the Topic title default.

anyway.... just a suggestion.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Suggestion to [Megathread]

Toxic17 wrote:Moogle. Just a suggestion....

To make the the megathread easier to use it would be best to possibly edit each post and change the "title" of that post to give some unique identity to each post.

At present nearly ALL posts in the forum have the same post title as the Topic Title. However each post in this thread has a different topic of subject matter.

so in this post I have changed the title of the post to actually mean something rather than use the Topic title default.

anyway.... just a suggestion.

well initially when started out

1 post had a bunch of subjects under it. So they all used the same URL link. Yes there is indeed a minor inconvenience for having to scroll through that post to find that precise header. I recognized this problem early on so i came up with a solution for that 8)
Solution: However, because there is a Unique sub heading, which i also provided in a code tag format, you can just copy paste into the ctrl+f in browser to locate from that link. It will instantly go to that subject header.
It was especially bad for the first few posts in page1 (now page7 where i relocated to when help subjects begin) as lots of subjects were crammed into single posts.

But moving forward, I tried to keep that as minimal as possible for the later pages. 1 subjects would be 1 post. Or i'd try to keep as few as possible subjects within single posts, so is more viewer friendly.

At times like more recently snapshots, i put them all under a single post. I didn't want to create 1 post for each point in it, seemed too spammy for me :S

Another thing i'm doing it trying to cluster in closer proximity for pages/posts for related subjects. So people don't have to zip between e.g. pages 4 and 502 for a topic under a similar subject e.g. hard drives

usually i would check page 1 for topic, and see if i can slot it additional posts nearby. Thats why i added a lot of reserved posts initially for that eventuality.

Anyway recently i deleted crashplan references, also updated the fact that HBS now gone official, so changed my recommendation accordingly. I still need to re-do my own HBS step by step guide in future when i have the time :)

I may clean up some of what you pointed out, but i make no promises. cause thats a lot of work to do, and kinda busy with stuff lately :shock: But at bare minimum, future posts will indeed be less of a mess 8)

Thx anyway for the feedback, appreciated.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
OneCD
Guru

Re: Suggestion to [Megathread]

Post by OneCD »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:I may clean up some of what you pointed out, but i make no promises. cause thats a lot of work to do, and kinda busy with stuff lately :shock: But at bare minimum, future posts will indeed be less of a mess 8)
And you don't want it to become the QNAP version of the 'p-e-a-c-o-c-k' thread (a fine example of the worst way to impart knowledge). The equivalent of standing on the beach, gesturing vaguely to the ocean and saying "yeah, the answer you're looking for is out there... somewhere..." :DD

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Fair enough, i do agree. just whether have time to spend doing enhance clean up is different matter. but even as is, i feel the clutter is limited, mostly to the first few pages.

as for usability i tested it myself seems alright to me. Usability been thoroughly tested because i too use this thread from time to time if only as a refresher for myself or make some edits here and there :mrgreen: so i too need it to be easily navigable.

how to navigate thread was mentioned on the 1st page 8)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
jameshenderson
Getting the hang of things

Post by jameshenderson »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: How to contact me
*just quote me in this post or anywhere on forum, and fill ".." This sends me a forum notification to get my attention if anything needs edits or etc.
Hi Moogle - would you be so good as to explain - in simple steps - how to securely copy a share from one QNAP to another over the internet? (I do appreciate that 100% security is not possible)

I have 2 QNAPS (TS-453Bmini and an old TS-410).
I want to use the -410 as an offsite copy in case of fire/theft etc and I am happy to do this overnight (not real time).

What I have managed to do:
  • 1. Setup a one-way RRTR sync locally, so the -410 is already a copy of the -453.
    2. Installed "let's encrypt" SSL certificates.
    3. Setup myQNAPcloud.
Some questions/thoughts that I have:
  • 1. I am not sure if cloud sync or myQNAPcloud is of use for this.
    2. I think RSync is the right protocol to use over the internet (RRTR for local LAN)?
    3. I think I need a VPN server on the -410, but not sure how to set that up (for either machines).
I have ready many, many posts on this, but there isn't a comprehensive guide. Can you help?

thanks,
James.
TS-453Bmini + 4x 4TB Western Digital Reds (RAID5) - Plex Media Server
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

jameshenderson wrote:
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: How to contact me
*just quote me in this post or anywhere on forum, and fill ".." This sends me a forum notification to get my attention if anything needs edits or etc.
Hi Moogle - would you be so good as to explain - in simple steps - how to securely copy a share from one QNAP to another over the internet? (I do appreciate that 100% security is not possible)

I have 2 QNAPS (TS-453Bmini and an old TS-410).
I want to use the -410 as an offsite copy in case of fire/theft etc and I am happy to do this overnight (not real time).

What I have managed to do:
  • 1. Setup a one-way RRTR sync locally, so the -410 is already a copy of the -453.
    2. Installed "let's encrypt" SSL certificates.
    3. Setup myQNAPcloud.
Some questions/thoughts that I have:
  • 1. I am not sure if cloud sync or myQNAPcloud is of use for this.
    2. I think RSync is the right protocol to use over the internet (RRTR for local LAN)?
    3. I think I need a VPN server on the -410, but not sure how to set that up (for either machines).
I have ready many, many posts on this, but there isn't a comprehensive guide. Can you help?

thanks,
James.
tbh i haven't really tried this myself since i do it over lan.

but if i had to guess

1. VPN (so you can safely connect from 1 qnap to another qnap over the internet safely)

2. 2stepauthentication. anything allowing access over internet, i recommend 2stepauth for qts (i tested this feature, you can use either google authenticator, or use the email 1 time new code pin)

3. i tested lets encrypt ssl cert. This was easy to setup, but from what i saw this only worked when using the myqnapcloud DYNDNS. It even says as much on FAQ page, and i also tested i only get that green lock sign and cert that way as well. letsencrypt is a FREE cert for you to know your accessing the right machine over the internet (so you don't enter your credentials on a fake honeypot or elsewhere mistakenly. You still need to go to your chrome browser, right click go to developer tools > security then view the certificate for confirmation it's the legit cert you setup. Just seeing a green lock sign is not sufficient verification for the user)

4. in qts you can enable smb 3 (if your model supports that), then in hybridbackup sync there is another setting to enable SSL transmission.

5. yes i think rsync might be more appropriate for internet. local i use rtrr for better performance. just check the forum for confirmation though, since i'm not 100% sure. did a quick check
NAS to NAS vs rsync vs RTRR QNAP
NAS to NAS uses rsync (port 873 by default) and RTRR uses the rtrr (port 8899 by default) or the ftp protocol (port 20/21 by default). RTRR over ftp have some functional limitations compared to rtrr.

NAS to NAS should really be read QNAP to QNAP as that is the intention of it. The Rsync tab should be used with any non-Qnap rsync server as destination.

NAS to NAS works block based while RTRR works on full file level only.

In my experience rsync is almost always preferable; it is available on all major operating systems, it is very lean over slow connections, it doesn’t necessarily need to synchronize complete files when something have changed.
P3R wrote:I'm correcting myself here. Rsync is available in Hybrid Backup Sync but if only if we do a sync, not a backup.

RTRR is normally better over fast (LAN-like) connections while Rsync is superior over very slow connections. In your case I would try rsync instead of RTRR.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=137972&p=650360&hi ... nc#p650360
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=137387&p=646807&hi ... nc#p646670
storageman wrote: RTRR is not advised over WAN but if your connection is reliable you could test. Assume you'll use a VPN.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=137639&p=648037&hi ... nc#p648037

6. To setup VPN you go to appcenter and install the QVPN. search the forum how to set that up. I think you can use openvpn since it's free, so on one end, the destination NAS, has the server VPN. and the source NAS is the client VPN (since your entering the vpn details of the server to access it). explanation why to use vpn for accessing your qnap over the internet.
[youtube=]No9T1qT_wLs[/youtube]

and this is how to setup openvpn server for qnap
[youtube=]uXcsmN1XNbM[/youtube]

other vpn guides
http://richiepham.com/setting-up-vpn-co ... -qnap-nas/

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... vpn-server

7. myqnapcloud you set that up just for the dyndns link. you can also add services you want accessible. but i only recommend setting those to private and only if you need them otherwise just not enable any of these services for use for myqnapcloud if there is no need.

8. in qts security restrict access to specific IP addresses only. Or at least setup limit login attempts so people cannot brute force credentials till they get the right one.
[youtube=]6ZZSVkW7nAw[/youtube]

if all your doing is just setup backup, then i found a hybrid backup sync video here. just replace rtrr to rsync. and the ip to the destination nas ip. and enable the ssl feature.
[youtube=]gsluYwZjkiU[/youtube]

theres also a myqnapcloud setup guide here. i don't recommend using router auto. just manually portforward the required ports. go to myqnapcloud faq there should be a page explaining which ports is required for port forwarding.
[youtube=]ShnVe3QReRk[/youtube]
NAS

Network

Resources
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

As you borrow from posts out of context and often not correctly qouted, it's not clear that some of the information and views given are for a specific use case or are dated today.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

----reserved ------
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

----reserved ------
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru