[Megathread] Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.

Opinions on this MegaThread FAQ

81%
No Like
7%
Unsure
11%

Total votes: 27

Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: [Megathread] Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

=================Reserved==========================
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Qnap App tutorials within QTS
Johnno72 wrote:You can also log into the QNAP, go to App Centre and click on the Tutorial for that particular app.
click on image to enlarge then press the Back button on your browser to return to QNAP Forums

Thanks for these Helps etc. Moogle
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=134948&p=631477#p631478

np thx :) *added this as an article link to changelog and clean edition listing.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

How to do clean graphics card drivers install on desktop/laptop

[youtube=]Zi6wUFwTIlU[/youtube]

So whats the relevance for QNAP. Nothing really, but seeing as this is something people do frequently why not make a help article for it. Heck you may still be using desktops/laptops to access Qnap QTS on a browser anyway, may as well make sure your graphics is updated properly along the way :mrgreen:

Just an extra tip, but for Nvidia you may want to switch from optimal power settings to adaptive. This works best for video playback from what i was told.

Other settings you can play with, if you got a powerful card like my 1080 gtx pascal, you can also go to nvidia panel settings to change textures to high quality.
recommended video playback on desktop/laptop *2017

pre-requisite
1. graphics card
Nvidia pascal or Amd Vega architecture ideally *or whatever is the latest graphics card architecture at the time
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the ... n-review/2

https://pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-rx-vega-64 ... benchmarks
*if your using nvidia, make sure you change power from optimal to adaptive. Also anytime you need to update graphics drivers, use the DDU app for a clean install.
2. a cpu that doesn't bottleneck your gpu fps ideally.I5/I7 (kabylake) or Ryzen 6 1600/Ryzen 7 1700 is my recommendation
3. lcd monitor

(a) freesync (amd) or gsync (nvidia). unfortunately your monitor purchase is tied to the graphics card you commit to. It's a bad situation being locked into one or the other in that way but it is what it is.

(b) true 10bit monitors are rare. chances are you'll get 8bit+FRC
FRC is a type of dithering to approximate the extra colors.

Basically it means you flash between two colors on opposite sides of the color you're trying to approximate. Then to the human eye it sort of blends together to the right color.

But it is still an imperfect solution. Certainly 8-bit+FRC is closer in quality to basic 8-bit than to real 10-bit color.

That said, 8-bit color alone is already pretty good, and FRC will generally improve on that a little further.
(c) I recommend IPS over TN for better colors. If your worried about gaming on the same monitor, well these days there some good ips that performs almost as well as tn. I recommend researching monitor here
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

(d) HDR is a recent feature. If your buying a new monitor make sure it is HDR (in 2017 avoid dell because their selling fake HDR)
https://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/mon ... isleading/

(e) resolution.... most bluray stuff is 1080p, so thats 1920x1080 I use a 24'' monitor with 1920x1200 resolution so for 1080p i usually see bars on the top and bottom, which i don't mind much.

The recent rage is 4k. I haven't really kept up to date on this to comment much on it, but something for you to look into. Most of the content i watch is only 1080p so i've been content watching at my current resolution without getting into the 4k scene just yet. But for most people especially on netflix, 4k is quite an attractive prospect.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/4k-ultra ... g-compared
4. video player. my recommendation is MPC-HC lavfilter megamix
https://www.videohelp.com/software/LAV-Filters-Megamix

Keep in mind that MPC-HC had a recent notice by the developer about about going EOL. But thankfully they had a change of heart.
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/17/is-th ... me-cinema/
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

How to fix youtube issue in Chrome, August 2017

quite recently this month, youtube suddenly had issue in chrome. Found a solution here thanks to Bangyno Lin.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... rum/chrome

Bangyno Lin said:

I found a convenient way to fix Error 400 on Youtube page.
Use the cookies remove function in Google Chrome Settings.

Settings > [Advance] > Privacy and security > Content settings

Type the word "youtube" in the Search cookies, now you can remove the cookies on Youtube or just click REMOVE ALL.

Finally the Error 400 on Youtube will gone.

The Google Chrome version:
Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Are high refresh rates in monitors worth it? e.g. 120Hz, 240Hz and 480Hz
Blur Busters Publishes Test Results of 4K 120Hz Display with 480Hz Mode
Blur Busters has detailed its findings of a unique ZisWorks display that utilizes a custom FPGA board to achieve 120Hz at 4K, along with "bonus" refresh rates such as 240Hz and 480Hz at 1080p and 540p, respectively. The first round of tests discusses the advantages of super high refresh rates, which include reduced phantom array effect, motion blur, and input lag. The site will be releasing tests on the latter next week.

Going to higher refresh rates can have diminishing points of returns. Humans cannot see individual frames at 480 Hz. However, humans can see other side effects of non-analog motion (discrete frames to represent moving objects). Many researchers including Oculus’ chief scientist Michael Abrash, extoll the benefits of quadruple-digit refresh rates. So even 480 Hz is not the final frontier yet.
This is not a how to article, however it is an important article by blur busters examining the worth of these high refresh rate modes in displays and whether they make a difference.

Short answer is yes they do, and maybe even up to 480hz.

So if possible get either a freesync (amd) or gsync (nvidia) with one of these higher refresh rate monitors to get the most benefit :mrgreen:
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

How to install android OS onto desktop/laptop
As Remix OS fades away, Phoenix OS keeps Android-as-desktop OS alive with v2.1.0 release
07/20/2017 at 4:00 PM by Brad Linder

Jide may be pulling the plug on the consumer version of its Remix OS Android-as-a-desktop operating system project. But the rival team behind Phoenix OS is still hard at work.

After releasing Phoenix OS 2.0 earlier this year, the team has pushed out a second version of Phoenix OS based on Android 7.1 Nougat.

Phoenix OS 2.1 is available for download in 32-bit and 64-bit versions, and you can either grab an EXE file for installing Phoenix OS on a Windows computer or an ISO if you’d prefer a disk image.

Phoenix OS is designed to be installed on a PC rather than a smartphone or tablet, and it basically looks like a cross between Windows and Android. There’s a taskbar, desktop, and start menu instead of a home screen and notification drawer. You can view notifications and other settings by tapping the icons in the bottom right side of the screen. And the home, back, and recents buttons are all the way on the bottom right side of the screen.

You can run apps in full-screen mode or in resizeable windows that you can position anywhere on the screen. Not all Android apps are really optimized for desktop use or mouse and keyboard input. But that’s where the keyboard mapping feature comes in.

It lets you opt to use keystrokes in lieu of button presses for certain actions in games and other applications to emulate an on-screen gamepad experience.

Phoenix OS 2.1 includes a number of bug fixes and improvements including better hardware compatibility, an updated keyboard mapping feature, and the ability to remember window resizing settings after you reboot.

If you’re already running an older version of the operating system, an over-the-air update is expected to start rolling out on July 24th. But you can download the installer or ISO from the Phoenix website now.
[youtube=]SlH9_KgMja4[/youtube]

If all you want to do is play android games on windows pc, then Nox App Player seems like a good choice
Nox App Player , now renamed as NoxPlayer is a newly developed free Android emulator with full Android features for Windows system. It runs from Windows XP up to Windows 10. The performance is fast and stable. You could not only play Android games on PC with it, but also use it as a development tool and test applications.

Its main features include:
- Developed on Android 4.4.2 kernel with full Android feature
- Google Play store integrated
- Better compatibility with AMD processors
- Customize CPU/RAM occupation and resolution
- Support input/output devices, gamepad and controller
- Superuser built in
- Run multiple Android instances simultaneously with ease
- Easy Video record and Macro record feature

Official website:

Code: Select all

https://www.bignox.com/
Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/noxappplayer
Customer support:

support_en@bignox.com
Top 7 Free Android Emulators for PC – Windows 7/8/8.1/10 | Run Android apps on Computer PC/Windows 7/8.1/10
http://techapple.net/2014/12/top-7-free ... ws-78-110/
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: [Megathread] Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2 *beta test

How to install android onto smartphone, and other tips and tricks *most of page 16 will be dedicated to android related stuff

Though not directly qnap related, considering that your android devices may at times interact with the QNAP at one time or another via apps like plex, mx player, file explorer, you may as well make sure your android device is up to date, and setup securely. So you can use this long article about android to help you with that along the way.

Tinkering with android is one of my hobbies, so may as well post a guide for others while i am learning in the process :wink:

I'm using an older Samsung S3 i9300 as reference, so maybe some of the things would not apply to other newer smartphones/models.
Device: Samsung Galaxy SIII (GT-I9300)
ROM: Resurrection Remix N Rom v5.8.4 20170820 i9300
Kernel: boeffla-kernel-6.1-beta1-Lineage14.1-i9300
Recovery: TWRP 3.1.1-0
Rooted: Stable Magisk Version v13.3

I'll try be as universally applicable when possible with this guide/articles for android.

------------------------------------------------------------

Android 7.1.2 Nougat, whats new?

Android 7.1.2 Nougat changelog includes battery usage alerts, connectivity improvements and more

Full article here
https://www.gottabemobile.com/android-7 ... t-to-know/

*ps: Android firmwares change quite often, so not sure that i will be updating what the most latest android version will be. Because this will require a lot of updates in future. I only intend for annual update, not weekly :shock: that said....

Android 8.0 Oreo is coming out pretty soon.

[youtube=]Fn57JS9WnAQ[/youtube]
How To Install Android Oreo (Android 8.0) on nexus and pixel smartphone *every1 else has to wait, check XDA forum for unofficial developments
[youtube=]OeGAcB11whk[/youtube]

Magisk what is it

[youtube=]jDbe9AIs0dM[/youtube]
Magisk Root is the best alternative of SuperSu by Chainfire. Magisk is developed by XDA developer topjohnwu , a talented dev with some serious coding skills. Magisk Root is much better than SuperSu in various aspects . Various ROM developers are now including magisk in official Roms .You can hide root from apps which usually do not run on a rooted phone. You can take example of a banking app .Supppose you are rooted with SuperSu then you installs a banking app for personal use but suddenly you notice that the banking app closes automatically with a warning toast message that "This app can not run on a rooted device".

Now what will you do ? You left with only one option and that is Unroot your phone to run that banking app . I am sure you will unroot your phone if you badly need the app for urgent purpose.

Another example is AndroidPay . AndroidPay never works on a rooted phone specially if you are rooted with SuperSu .

What about Pokemon Go ? This popular game also refuses to run on a rooted phone.

How about using banking apps , AndroidPay , Pokemon Go without losing or unrooting your phone ? Magisk is the answer . In this post I am going to tell you about how magisk work and how to use it ?

Magisk V/s SuperSu
Magisk does not touch any of you system files. That means it does not make any changes in System Partition i.e. it doesn't add any file in system partition. SuperSu changes your system partition and add some files in system partion in order to obtain root access. So basically Magisk is a systemless root solution.

Advantages Of Magisk Root
As i said earlier, if you are rooted with Magisk you can run almost any app that can not run on a rooted phone.
• You can run Banking Apps.
• You can play Pokemon Go
• You can use Snapchat.
• You can Install OTA updates .
• Install Systemless Xposed
• Bypass Safetynet/ Android Pay
Full article
http://thespandroid.blogspot.my/2017/03 ... -root.html
Magisk Manager Removed from Play Store, Developer Comments on the Future of Magisk

Eagle-eyed community members spotted that one of the community’s beloved projects, Magisk, was no longer available on the Google Play Store. The Play Store URL for Magisk Manager would 404, indicating that the project was taken off the primary and most popular source of Android app distribution. Even if you had the app downloaded previously, the listing would no longer show up on your ‘Installed Apps’ tab in the Play Store.

What Google Taketh Away, XDA Giveth Back

All hope for easy updates is not lost though. Topjohnwu has uploaded Magisk Manager onto XDA Labs, making it easy for users who want to remain on the latest version at all times.

XDA Labs is an app platform that serves as an alternative to the Google Play Store, and it is best serving its purpose in times like these. You can have updates to Magisk Manager pushed through XDA Labs, so we recommend installing XDA Labs to get notified whenever a new update to Magisk is available. This is also not the first instance where an app has been removed from the Play Store but continues to be distributed through XDA Labs, like AdAway.

As topjohnwu mentioned, an update to Magisk is on the horizon. Stay tuned!

full article
https://www.xda-developers.com/magisk-m ... of-magisk/

Download XDA labs apk from here (this is another app repository similar to google store *that said as always don't just simply install apps, verify their trust worthiness before doing so.
https://www.xda-developers.com/xda-labs/
SafetyNet Explained: Why Android Pay and Other Apps Don’t Work on Rooted Devices
Rooting your Android device gives you access to a wider variety of apps and a deeper access to the Android system. But some apps–like Google’s Android Pay–won’t work at all on a rooted device.

Google uses something called SafetyNet to detect whether your device is rooted or not, and blocks access to those features. Google isn’t the only one, either–plenty of third-party apps also won’t work on rooted Android devices, although they may check for the presence of root in other ways.

Read the full article here

https://www.howtogeek.com/241012/safetynet-explained-why-android-pay-and-other-apps-dont-work-on-rooted-devices/
Universal SafetyNet Fix

This module tries to pass SafetyNet on devices that triggered it.

It works by doing some magic with the system props, which are changed to match with the required by Google to pass it's security test (SafetyNet). However, that is not all...

The real magic here is the Universal Hide part, which is a custom implementation of Magisk Hide. It basically does the same magic as Magisk Hide, but in a shell-y simple way.
It reads the file Magisk Hide uses to store apps that should be hidden and then monitors logcat until a hidden app is opened. Once this happens, it enters it's mount namespace to unmount all Magisk related mount points.
That way you can hide root or bypass SafetyNet for almost to all apps. App's that use custom checks to detect root are one of the few exceptions as we cannot anticipate what they check.

Why did I basically duplicated Magisk Hide? Well, Magisk Hide doesn't work properly for all devices, so this is a fast solution until topjohnwu fix all the issues.

source
https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/m ... x-t3600431

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/ ... s-0178047/
This is Why We STILL Root android devices

[youtube=]OAZ6sEGLIzE[/youtube]
The 5 Best Phones for Rooting & Modding
BY DALLAS THOMAS 08/16/2017
*this is just an example, but sooner or later there will be newer phones to make this list obsolete. so do your own research, but at least now you have something else to consider

According to a study done by internet provider Tencent, a whopping 27.44% of Android users root their phones. With over 1.4 billion Android devices out there, that works out to somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 million rooted phones and tablets. In other words, there may very well be more rooted Android devices than there are Americans, so root nation is an important demographic that deserves being catered to.

Superuser status isn't always easy to achieve, though. Many manufacturers lock their device bootloaders and add extra layers of security to prevent users from rooting and installing a custom recovery. Yet people still find ways around these hurdles, because rooting allows them to uninstall bloatware, block ads, and apply cool system-level mods and tweaks, among other things. For many folks, this level of customization is why they chose an Android device in the first place.

If you're a modder, or even if you just want to have the option of tinkering with your device, it's very important that the next phone you buy is easily rootable and has an active development community. We sorted through some of the most popular phones on the market today and narrowed down the best phones for rooting to just five options.

Read the full article here

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/5-best-phones-for-rooting-modding-0175988/
any difference between magisk and xposed?
You seem to be under the impression that Magisk and Xposed serve the same or similar purposes. They don't - at all.
As you well know, Xposed is a framework which lets you install modules to customise the OS "on the fly". You need a rooted device, and AFAIK, Xposed modifies /system as soon as you install it (so it breaks SafetyNet, Android Pay etc.).

Magisk, on the other hand, is a framework which allows you to modify the OS without directly altering /system. With the Magisk framework installed, you can install a number of mods systemlessly - most notably root access (Magisk includes its own SU and binary), but there are a number of modules which have been adapted to interface systemlessly with Magisk.

Actually, Xposed is one of the available Magisk modules. In other words, if you've installed the Magisk framework, you can systemlessly install Xposed (the "Magisk-adapted" version at least).

EDIT: and yes, since Xposed only works on MM or lower, so does the Magisk + Xposed combo.

source
https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/commen ... to_xposed/
what is android custom rom? Why should i care

[youtube=]2njKrRu8OmA[/youtube]

It's basically a way to add the latest android to your smartphone regardless whether your manufacturer for that model bothered to do so or not. Also custom roms may have other tweaks here and there for added value. custom roms is also the main reason why people opt for android over iphone. My favourite custom rom is ressurection remix
[youtube=]Qec6PXOU6eY[/youtube]

https://sourceforge.net/projects/resurr ... rce=navbar

http://www.resurrectionremix.com
how to remove google bloat in android using opengapps or aroma

option1: opengapps nano (this is my recommended default). I prefer this option since it saves me time manually configuring.

http://opengapps.org/
option2: GAPPS Aroma (can selectively choose which to install and exclude manually)
[youtube=]C_1Dg3BrD3Y[/youtube]
backing up on android, TWRP, titanium backup or nandroid, which?

read here where it explains the differences
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/tita ... up.302334/

Yeh..with Titanium Backup Pro..I only backup "user apps." Not system apps..if I have a problem with "system apps." Then I restore my TWRP backup..
TWRP Back up and Restore Custom ROMs (Easy&Safe)
[youtube=]9KXWoQQzboY[/youtube]
Always BACKUP your android! *can't stress this enough. lots of times i get stuck in bootloop for one reason or another and i wish i had done a backup beforehand for an easy quick restore.

Before doing customization or using custom rom, do a backup.

After you finish install custom rom, doing all your tweaks, installing apps, and have tested that this is stable, DO A BACKUP!

Backup on internal is okay, but if you can backup to an external sd card is probably better. This way you can wipe your internal sd and be able to have a cleaner restore from factory setting by wiping everything.

Also might be a good idea to use encryption and compression as well.

For bare minimum i do TWRP backup to counter any issues resulting in unexpected bootloop. But if you want to backup your apps, then additionally backing up with titanium backup will you be able to backup your app data as well.

What should I wipe in TWRP?
Aug 20, 2017

If you are switching ROMs (changing from one ROM to a completely different one) then you should perform a factory reset. A factory reset wipes data and cache (which includes dalvik cache). A factory reset will also wipe sd-ext and android_secure if your device has those items. 99% of the time, this is all that you need to wipe and you only need to do it once, not three times as some people would lead you to believe.

If you're installing a nightly update, then oftentimes you don't need to wipe anything at all. However, if you encounter strange behavior, then you may want to consider performing a factory reset. Of course, if the ROM maker recommends that you do a factory reset during an update, then it's a good idea to follow their recommendation.

The vast majority of ROMs wipe system as part of the zip install. This means that in most cases you do not need to wipe system... ever.

At this point, cache (not dalvik cache) is primarily used for recovery. It's used to store the recovery log and for storing OTA (Over The Air) updates. You probably don't need to wipe cache, and cache is already wiped as part of a factory reset.

In most ROMs, dalvik cache is stored in the data partition, so if you do a factory reset, you've also wiped dalvik cache. In a few custom ROMs, especially on older devices with small data partitions, the ROM maker may have moved dalvik to the cache partition to provide you with more room for apps. Since we wipe cache with a factory reset, again, you probably don't need to wipe dalvik. There are a few situations where you may need to wipe dalvik cache when installing updates, but you will know that it's needed when you are greeted with force closes when trying to open some apps.

Depending on your device and its configuration, you may have options for wiping internal storage, external storage, sd-ext, android_secure, and/or an option for formatting data. There's almost no reason that you would ever need to use these items. These options are there for convenience. For instance, if you're getting ready to sell your device, then it's a good idea to wipe everything on the device so that the new owner doesn't get your private data. Note that these wipe options may not be completely destructive. If you store especially sensitive information on your device or are really concerned about your private data, then you may need to look into other options to ensure that your data is fully destroyed.

source
https://twrp.me/faq/whattowipe.html

Moogle's recommend apps for android maintenance

[root] FlashFire

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.flash&hl=en
- amazing app by chainfire. can help you flash stock firmware, or mod firmware quite easily from within android without the use of things like Odin from PC. This is a very great app, totally recommended!

TWRP: TeamWin (flash custom recovery)

https://twrp.me/
-this replaces your stock recovery. It's simply the best, use it! You can install this using TWRP manager or flashing the TWRP zip from recovery.

TWRP Manager (Requires ROOT)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jmz.soft.twrpmanager&hl=en
- helps you manage TWRP from android UI

Titanium Backup PRO

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackupPro&hl=en
- best backup app

Root Checker Pro by Free Android Tools

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.freeandroidtools.root_checker_pro&hl=en
- helps you check if root succeeded, also can verify whether the device passes SafetyNet compatibility test

SD Maid Pro

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.thedarken.sdm.unlocker&hl=en
-cleans up junk on your android

[root] Triangle Away

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.triangleaway&hl=en
- reset modification counter. useful for when you need to send smartphone back under warranty. You would normally unroot, flashing back stock rom, then using this app to remove the counters. factory reset, then your warranty will not be under question as they won't know you had been rooting and install custom roms :mrgreen:

BusyBox Pro by Stephen (Stericson)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nate&hl=en
- busy box is core for lots of apps. also this helps you update busybox from time to time. Also because this specific busy box app was compatible when installing Viper4Arise (which also recommends the one by stericson)

Magisk

https://www.xda-developers.com/xda-labs/
-Already made a full article about this. But essentially it's a replacement for supersu by chainfire. It also helps you root your device using the best current systemless method which everyone including rom developers prefer using. To install it, you can use XDA labs to find and install magisk manager from there. Using magisk manager you can install magisk.

Greenify

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oasisfeng.greenify.pro&hl=en
- best way to lower battery consumption by hibernating apps. There few ways of installing greenify, best being on rooted devices. There is also available a magisk greenify module or via xposed.
Greenify4Magisk Brings Boost Mode back to Greenify

ABotelho23 • 3 months ago
Boost mode definitely doesn't equal privileged mode. Doesn't enable the same features.

otonieru • 3 months ago
This post is kinda misleading @Tomek . It wont bring you the xposed features of greenify at all. And instead just enabled the privillege mode without the need to trip the safetynet. I think its better not to mention about the xposed feature in the main paragraph :)

abacate123 otonieru • 3 months ago
Mentioning the xposed is necessary, but I agree that it should be careful tho, that function (boost mode, which is a greenify native thing) was enabled by activating greenify on xposed, so it'd get privileged status and this is the same as the boost mode. You can get this by adding the apk manually inside the /system/priv-app/Greenify folder, as well

source:
https://www.xda-developers.com/greenify ... -greenify/

Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 38 times in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Battery optimizations for android
Custom kernels and governor profiles.

For my own situation using an older Samsung S3 (this may not apply for your own smartphone model, this is just an example using my own scenario), i use Boeffla's configv2 and using his kernel
Originally Posted by tugay12
15th August 2017

Download the latest kernel zip from here:
http://kernel.boeffla.de/sgs3/boeffl...download/Test/

And download the Boeffla Config App from here:
http://kernel.boeffla.de/bcv2/

Install Config app, than go to recovery and flash kernel zip. Then open Config app, some warnings will be appears, accept them, reboot phone few times. Then OK, you can customize kernel from Config app.

source:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpo ... ount=10387

Then using Boeffla configv2 i can do stuff like choose which governor to use. In my case i chose zzmoove.
Which ZZMoove governor for battery life?
Zzmoove moderate, it uses less cores most of the time instead of all 4 cores

Other user configurations
Posted by kosmasgr
I'm using 20/08 build with boeffla latest kernel.
Awesome performance Battery life is excellent. I have about 4 hours SOT on normal use. Also battery drain on standby for me is about 1-2% during the night
Originally Posted by kosmasgr *i'm using this now instead of zzmoove

Governor : Pegasus Q plus - battery profile
I/O : Zen ( 1024 - 512 for external )
CPU : Stock frequencies , undervolt light
GPU : 160/266 profile
TouchBoost : 700mhz
Zram : Enabled ( 1 device - 400 disk size )

All other settings untouched

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=73512459&postcount=4623
There is a review/overview of all available governor profiles here
https://forum.xda-developers.com/genera ... o-t3048957

32: ZZmoove

Summary:
PERFORMANCE: GREAT, BATTERY LIFE: GOOD, COMPATIBILITY: GREAT

Description:
The ZZmoove Governor by ZaneZam is optimized for low power consumption when the screen off, with particular attention to the limitation of consumption applications in the background with the screen off, such as listening to music. The unique feature with ZZmoove is that it has predefined profiles and allows profile switching.
90. PegasusQPlus

Summary:
PERFORMANCE: GREAT, BATTERY LIFE: GREAT, COMPATIBILITY: GOOD

Description:
PegasusQPlus is a heavily tweaked PegasusQ governor, which has been implemented by AndreiLux in his Perseus kernel. PegasusQPlus should have a better balance between performance and battery usage.
Next is to install/use Greenify. Hibernating apps is the best method for keeping apps in check and from misbehaving.

however you don't just simply greenify everything. some apps they're better not being greenified. Thankfully the app will tell you which should be excluded.
8 Tips to improve battery life on Android phones
[youtube=]ASl0BwTAkTY[/youtube]
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:50 am, edited 16 times in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Mtp host bug *fix
Posted by RThick
Anyone knows how to fix ''Mtp host stopped working'' afterwards ''MTP host keeps stop working'' It happens when Uninstalling Apps anyone having same problem or a Fix please tell me
Posted by kosmasgr
Use titanium backup or similar app and freeze this
Posted by sanguinesaintly
Just freeze MTP Host app. It doesn't seem to cause any problems and you don't get the error (obviously)
Posted by craP_cillA
or just disable the force closed messages.

How to remove Magisk to replace back to Chainfire's SuperSu
If anyone hates Magisk and the turning off issue or the "Boot in download mode" one, please refer to my older post.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...1/post73396395
Hope this helps!

My "post v5.8.4" RR flashing procedure:
1. Wipe Dalvik and Cache.
2. Flash update.
3. Flash Magisk Uninstaller.
4. Flash SuperSU.
5. Optimal: Flash Boeffla.
6. Wipe Dalvik and Cache.
7. Reboot.

Enjoy your Magisk-free Updates (no download mode issues whatsoever)
Hope Varundate reads this.

*Magisk uninstaller
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpo ... count=4554
i think that the turning off thing is magisk related, cause had this problem too (and reboots from time to time..) after i deinstalled magisk and installed supersu, no reboots, no device turning off!

steps:
full wipe/factory reset!
flash the latest rr build (13.08.2017), together with the latest open gapps, magisk uninstaller (http://tiny.cc/latestuninstaller) and supersu (https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/s...1705271822.zip) wipe dalvik, wipe cache, reboot, install super su free/pro from playstore, done
Yes, you have to flash Magisk Uninstaller directly after the ROM flash and then flash SuperSU, because every 5.8.4 update has Magisk pre-installed.
Posted by hiyamudin
i already flash this zip file. and my phone got very smooth. but the icon magisk still there. but not function. is it correct?
Use Titanium Backup to uninstall the Magisk icon and then restart
I wipe Dalvik, Cache and System , as Magisk is still built-in. You shouldn't lose any apps or data (which you will lose if you wipe Data !) If things don't work as expected the a full wipe ie including data is advisable).

As always, backup first.
How to pass safety net check using su hide *if you intend on using Supersu over magisk
suhide-lite is an experimental (and officially unsupported) mod for SuperSU that can selectively hide root (the su binary) from other applications. It can also toggle visibility of packages (such as SuperSU).

SafetyNet verified passing on 2017.08.10.

This is ultimately a losing game (see the next post). suhide may stop working at any time.

Requirements
- SuperSU v2.82 SR2 or newer (link)
- SuperSU installed in SBIN mode (default on O+)
- Android 6.0 or newer
- TWRP (3.0.2 or newer with access to /data), FlashFire is not (yet) supported.

Xposed
Not supported.

CyanogenMod/LineageOS
Not currently tested or supported. Might work, might not.

Custom kernels/ROMs
If they changed build props, they will probably fail SafetyNet check (for now).
More security requires more locking down. Ultimately these security features are about money - unbelievably large amounts of money. This while our precious unlocked bootloaders and root solutions are more of a developer and enthusiast thing. While we're all generally fond of shaking our fists at the likes of Google, Samsung, HTC, etc, it should be noted that there are people in all these companies actively lobbying to keep unlocked/unlockable devices available for us to play with, with the only limitation being that some financial/corporate stuff may not work if we play too hard.

It would be much easier (and safer from their perspective) for all these parties to simply plug that hole and fully lock down the platform (beyond 3rd party apps using only the normal APIs). Bypassing root checks en masse is nothing less than poking the bear.

Nevertheless, users want to hide their roots (so do malware authors...) and at least this implementation of suhide is a simple one. I still think it's a bad idea to do it. Then again, I think it's a bad idea to do anything financial related on Android smartphone that isn't completely clean, but that's just me.

Note that I have intentionally left out any debate on whether SafetyNet/AndroidPay/etc need to be this perfectly secure (most people do their banking on virus ridden Windows installations after all), who should get to decide which risk is worth taking, or even if Google and cohorts would be able to design the systems more robustly so the main app processor would not need to be trusted at all. (the latter could be done for Android Pay, but wouldn't necessarily solve anything for Random Banking App). While those are very interesting discussion points, ultimately it is Google who decides how they want this system to work, regardless of our opinions on the matter - and they want to secure it.
read the full article here
https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/s ... e-t3653855
How to Fix “Unfortunately the Process.com.android.phone Has Stopped”

[youtube=]7UYecMjk6l0[/youtube]

https://thedroidguy.com/2017/07/how-to- ... pped-90124
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

custom audio for android - Arise Magnum Opus
https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... h-t3379709
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=59044

install guide *added 2 guide links, use whichever you think was better at explaining the steps
We call these two zips "Modular" as they incorporate everything we have to offer in a "plug and play" system. One zip utilizing the popular and convenient AROMA Installer, the other zip utilizing the use of /sdcard/arise_customize.prop, what we like to call the "wishlist" before installing as the file allows you to instruct how the installation is executed - very much like the user input using the AROMA Installer.
https://www.gizdev.com/viper4android-on ... d-systems/
http://www.droidviews.com/install-arise ... d-android/

ARISE Magnum Opus *you can find the latest builds from the developer repository. Be careful not to download from dodgy third party sources
downloads for
-Android- Generic Device/Other
by A.R.I.S.E. Sound Systems

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=59044
If I may make a suggestion that will ultimately save you a lot of grief, move to the updated ARISE sound mod by guitardedhero and others. The latest is Magnum Opus and, as opposed to the tweaks, futzing and issues of sound being processed/sticking or not, this is a much simpler install and just works.

Head over to http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...earch-t3379709 and just install the base version. You'll get Viper4ARISE. I still flash a permissive kernel zip with my Nougat ROMs, but since I switched to ARISE, V4A has worked flawlessly, and it sounds even better than the old V4A.

Lastly, I'm not sure development is continuing on the base V4A anyway. ARISE is the way to modify your Android sound processing now.
Removing existing audio mods prior to installing Arise Magnum Opus

*if your rom for example has audiofx or some other sound mod installed, use the following. For my rom i had to remove Audio FX using this app. Sure there are other ways of doing this like dirty rom flashing, but i found this way much simpler using the app.
Download "System App remover" app from Playstore & grant root access to the app. Now uninstall AudioFX! :)

source:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showth ... ?t=2191223
i also suggest you browse to system > etc and set audio_effects.conf to append a .bak or to just delete that file prior to installing Magnum Opus.

Step by step how to install it
These videos helped me to install Magnum Opus *use translation
[youtube=]5B5qToTVzzk[/youtube]

Configuring viper4arise
I installed from the modules the viper4arise, so to configure the app once everything is installed, use this guide *use translations
[youtube=]KBuEaGQrpOU[/youtube]

For anyone finding this a bit of a hassle i can understand, but having now listening to the audio i can tell you it's worth the effort. This sounds so much clearer and nicer after i installed this *i have the flac version :mrgreen: *tested on old samsung s3 and Audio Technica ATH-A900
[youtube=]09R8_2nJtjg[/youtube]

Troubleshooting

I managed to get dolby DD to work (there is a test in the app to verify it works) by enabling Se linux mode permissive using the SELinuxModeChanger to toggle it. *from a security standpoint this is not ideal, but if you just want it to work, this is how for now at least
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showth ... ?t=2524485

as for dolby atmos not sure why it doesn't seem to work. Still working on that puzzle :S though i've narrowed it down. this seems to be a problem specific to my own device, so if it works for you already then good.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpo ... count=4576

*update
Divine -
Before going full OT here my PM is opened feel free to send me a message or post in arise thread.
Sorry for late reply here is what do you need:
*Latest arise (11.8.2017 zip), If you are using magisk then use magisk compatibility while installing it by adding the value "true" (without this option will not process ending with the black screen that did you mention).
if you are using supersu use 2.82 SR3 for avoiding sdcard issue (Runs perfectly without any issue).
I don't use Dolby digital only atmos so what do you have to install:
1. Core is needed in all cases to process.
2. Viperarise. (optional)
3. AM3D. [you can keep it turned off though]
4. Axon7 atmos not the one which is inside arise zip( A7000 atmos),
Axon7 atmos uses hardware&software to preform the most natural sound so consider it having high quality.
Axon7 atmos link from ARISE AFH:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=195528
- Flash and select atmos in the aroma. (i haven't test dolby audio)
Rest of arise add-ons are optional.
Notes:
*Make sure to freeze audiofx or uninstall it before installing arise.
*WILL work with selinux Enforcing!.
*basically you can run using core+v4a+dolby+am3d(can keep it off).
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Android security
Why you should be wary of vulnerabilities in android and to take security seriously

SonicSpy: Over a thousand spyware apps discovered, some in Google Play
https://blog.lookout.com/sonicspy-spywa ... l-research

other security tips for android
[youtube=]QxEpued61OI[/youtube]

firewall for android *i recommend AFWall+
AFWall+ is an improved version of DroidWall(front-end application for the powerful iptables Linux firewall). It allows you to restrict which applications are permitted to access your data networks (2G/3G/4G/LTE and/or Wi-Fi and while in roaming).Since the original author of Droidwall discontinued the project, I decided to keep the app instead of Avast Firewall. I'll continue to add more features as I can.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showth ... ?t=1957231

one of the major reasons for rooting is so you can use a proper firewall.
Some guides for afwall+ settings

[youtube=]QcFfvYdgCgs[/youtube]

[youtube=]WKsstS5_7kI[/youtube]

[youtube=]l6CZrIzJXjE[/youtube]
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

media playback from QNAP to android

file explorer is a core app i use for accessing the QNAP shares over the local network.

best video player for android. using file explorer it can stream videos to play on mx player pro. don't forget to install ffmpeg addon in order for dts/ac3 playback

If your into manga or comics this is the best app. It can browse to qnap via lan as well.

This is what quicpic use to be like before they got bought over and added with tons of adware. simple gallery is excellent for picture viewing.

If your using plex, then they have an app for that.

yes qnap has their own suite of native apps for interacting with android, like their qfile which integrates with their qts file management system. that said i've preferred these third party apps as they provide the sufficient level of access to qnap for file playback, features and etc.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Who makes the best SoC: Apple, Qualcomm vs Samsung *info gets outdated quickly, headsup. this article is merely an example explaining the types of technologies for these sorts of chips used in smartphones. Google yourself what is the latest updates for these things.

Technology moves fast, so this info can get outdated quickly. But importance of these socs is features, performance, and battery performance capabilities on these new chips.

But that should not be the only consideration, as Iphone vs Android is also another thing to consider, but this article is only looking at the soc specs :)

Also as useful as it is to understand these soc chip tech, i'd still rely on the specific smartphone model review which your considering as your deciding factor if that device is worth it for you :)

Apple’s A10X SoC is a 10 nm Chip built by TSMC *to be replaced with A11
[youtube=]fcmpopSfQKA[/youtube]

Snapdragon 835 and "Built on ARM Cortex Technology" - Gary Explains *soon to be up updated to Snapdragon 845
[youtube=]L9hyg-3l6XY[/youtube]

Introducing the Samsung Exynos 9 Series (8895) processor
[youtube=]ZayD-rzml-4[/youtube]

Galaxy S8: Exynos 8895 VS Snapdragon 835 | Which is faster?
[youtube=]9Gm-drQi8Qc[/youtube]

Qualcomm Announces Snapdragon 450 Midrange SoC *most people myself included would be looking at smartphones within the low to mid range budget rather than the highest end models sporting say a snapdragon 845 (unless it had better battery improvements worth my time)
[youtube=]rE5W6G4AYDY[/youtube]
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11586/qua ... drange-soc

Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Is Actually A Replacement For A Slower Snapdragon 835 Variant: Analyst. This year’s mid-range Android phones will pack as much power as last year’s flagships
This is probably why the Snapdragon 660 (inside the OPPO R11 and R11 Plus) became the first processor in the mid-range 600 series to get custom Kryo cores, which was initially exclusive to the top-end Snapdragon 800 series. Note that the octa-core Kryo 260 cores in the SD660 are a bit different than the Kryo 280 cores inside the SD835. But the fact that the SD660 uses custom cores does put it much closer to the top-end Snapdragon 800 series than its predecessors like SD653 or SD652. Further, the new SD660 chip features flagship grade ISP (Qualcomm Spectra 160 ISP) to ensure that you get the maximum performance out of your smartphone cameras.
Hence, it’s very likely that many affordable flagship smartphones of 2017 would end up with Snapdragon 660 and not Snapdragon 835.
https://www.gizmochina.com/2017/06/09/q ... t-analyst/
http://bgr.com/2017/03/14/2017-mid-rang ... -660-chip/
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/snap ... es-2948225

Coming soon to a $250 phone near you: Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 660 and 630 chips
660 brings "Kryo" CPU cores to the midrange; both have better GPUs and modems.
[youtube=]ff-ebgvpky4[/youtube]
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05 ... nge-chips/

mobile platform tiers explained
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Q ... ms-on-chip
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:03 am, edited 20 times in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Return to “Users' Corner”