QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Mousetick
Experience counts

Re: QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Post by Mousetick »

2big4u wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:56 am Alright, different problem. How do I access my data from two external drives I've been doing backups that are formatted as ext4? Windows 10 wants me to format drives. Have not tried macos or linux yet. What is the easiest method, do I need any software?
From Windows:
https://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways ... m-windows/
From Windows 10 + WSL2:
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandl ... and-wsl-2/
From macOS:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/mount-ac ... ition-mac/
From Linux:
no software, Google for instructions if needed
2big4u
New here

Post by 2big4u »

dolbyman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:09 am ext reader on windows or linux/mac out of the box

should have made the backups on ntfs (didnt think that through?)
Why not NTFS? I don't remember for sure since it's been operating as set it up and forget for the past 6 years. But if my memory serves me right, ext4 was offered by qnap as default or recommended.
2big4u
New here

Post by 2big4u »

Mousetick wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:15 am
2big4u wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:56 am Alright, different problem. How do I access my data from two external drives I've been doing backups that are formatted as ext4? Windows 10 wants me to format drives. Have not tried macos or linux yet. What is the easiest method, do I need any software?
From Windows:
https://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways ... m-windows/
From Windows 10 + WSL2:
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandl ... and-wsl-2/
From macOS:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/mount-ac ... ition-mac/
From Linux:
no software, Google for instructions if needed
Google search was pointing at few different apps for windows. Had a spare raspberry pi, booted it up to make sure backups were fine and there were no data loss. Thank you for the links.
MSDile
First post

Post by MSDile »

I have a TS-251 about 3 years old. I woke up this morning to no status light, a blinking LAN light, and both drives have red lights. I have read the threads and assume the drive is shot. Should I purchase another 2 bay QNAP and move the drives or go with another brand. I use it simply for Plex to manage photos and music primarily.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if you read the thread .. the resistor (temp) fix did not come up ?
ongso
First post

Post by ongso »

Same problem.
Trying to fix booting (w/o disks as QNAP Wiki explains using a TS-453A full image) and making a image before it with Clonezilla (to leave it as it was if something went wrong) I detect a partition with errors (/dev/sdb5). WTF!
So, from the Clonezilla linux console: fsck /dev/sdb1. Done it over all the partitions: 1 to 6. 1 had several mountings w/o check a 5 had errors. Shutdown.
Start again w/o disks and all successful!. Shutdown, reconnect disks and start again. Resolved!
Bye!
ezlxq73
Starting out

Post by ezlxq73 »

Joining the long list of people experiencing the same problem. TS 453 Pro purchased Sep 2015.

Sharing my experience as follows:-
  • Friday 18 Jun 2021 received alerts from my TS453Pro that it was overheating and subsequently that the system fan 1 failed
  • I assumed the alert was correct so I shutdown the NAS to check the exact details of the fan I would need to purchase and to check if maybe the fan just needed cleaning (dust etc)
  • When I switched back on again, my NAS booted and all services resumed as normal. However front panel LCD was stuck on "System booting" and all 4 HDD LEDs showed red. In the web interface, system temperature was 0C and system fan speed > 4million RPM.
  • raised ticket with QNAP. after a few interchanges, QNAP support requested remote access which I granted on Thu 23rd Jun 2021
  • Friday 25 Jun 2021 I noticed the NAS was not responding over the network. I did hard reboot but this time no beeps, no output on HDMI and not accessible over the network. Dead.
  • Monday 28 Jun 2021 QNAP tech support tell me same story as others in this thread: device is EOL there are no spare parts and I'm on my own.
From the very first ticket I raised with QNAP support I mentioned this thread but QNAP have been careful to not say anything about this thread or the topics in it. I have now responded to specifically ask QNAP whether they acknowledge the existence of the Intel AVR54 errata for C2000 chips including J1900.

Once I can get myself a 100 ohm resistor I will try it so I can recover my data. At the moment I do not intend to give QNAP any more business.
drocnoles
New here

Post by drocnoles »

Add another TS-453 Pro to the list of those affected by this issue. Happened around 11 PM EST out of nowhere seemingly. Time to chalk it up for another unit I suppose.
Guspapa
New here

Post by Guspapa »

My 251+ stucked tonight on starting kernel.
Differently what I read here nas green lights blinking (hds working well) but after 5 minutes no more noises.
And starting kernel freezed.
I've tried to start NAS without drives and after beep put them, but system asked me to inicialize it.
Maybe is the resistor problem also?
Thanks guys!
ezlxq73
Starting out

Post by ezlxq73 »

Trying to do the 100 ohm resistor on my TS453Pro but I can't get the solder to "stick" to the motherboard connectors. I've even very carefully scratched the surface of pin connector 1 and 10 to see if that helps the solder connect but no luck
Am I missing a step? Any tips please?

Update: I googled and researched to resolve this. Bad soldering technique by me. Although I think it's not easy even if you are good at soldering!

NAS working again.... Time to recover data. Shame on Qnap for not helping at all with this and disowning the issue.

Update2 (next day):

My TS453Pro ran for approx 12 Hours with the 100 ohm resistor and then stopped responding. Before stopping it started to complain about the system fan again. I managed to backup some but not all of my files. Now when powering on, no beeps and stuck again on "system booting". So caution to anyone else trying the workaround: your NAS might only run for a short time so plan ahead how to backup your data quickly and work out what is the highest priority data to backup

Would love any suggestions please of how to get my NAS to run just for a few more hours so I can recover the rest of the data.
vysyus
First post

Post by vysyus »

Count me in as another TS-453 Pro owner with the same issue. Happened at end of May for me with a System fan 1 failed notification. I only now got around to do the solder. NAS has been running for 24 hours without any issues so far. Huge thanks for the tip.

I was fully backed up anyway and I am expecting it to die any second, but it's amazing to me someone was able to find this solution.
rjesse
Starting out

Post by rjesse »

I too are now a victim (one of my 2 TS251+), of course QNAP claims they are not aware of this issue.

Is it time to consider a class action suite?

Rick
Dual QNAP TS-251+
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Talk to your lawyer then ..a forum will not help

Unless there is already tons of class actions in the making

- Malware infections
- Mass defects of x72x
- Mass defects of x51/+
- Mass defects of 1685 NIC cards
- Mass defects of power switching mosfets of SATA boards
- Inability to restore VMs larger than 1TB via HDP (from German forum)
-?
rjesse
Starting out

Post by rjesse »

Someone would need to start this from the US as a Canadian a class action suite would be pretty meaningless..
Dual QNAP TS-251+
rjesse
Starting out

Post by rjesse »

I had an old Intel NAS that the drives could not be accessed via Linux or Windows, first thing I did when I bought a QNAP was to see if I could mount the drives in Linux and was successful, I have some notes somewhere. A Centos or Ubuntu live CD would allow you to access from a Windows Machine if you don't have a a dedicated Linux system.
Dual QNAP TS-251+

Return to “Users' Corner”