QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
buffmanjeff
Starting out

Re: QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Post by buffmanjeff »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:08 am did you try a new dom ?
I have not. Do you mean replace the current one on the motherboard? Where would I buy one?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

yes .. the one on the mainboard .. ebay has lots

the thread I mentioned a couple of posts earlier also has a link to a USB stick replacement method
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=133899
buffmanjeff
Starting out

Post by buffmanjeff »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:17 am yes .. the one on the mainboard .. ebay has lots

the thread I mentioned a couple of posts earlier also has a link to a USB stick replacement method
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=133899
Does this need to be an exact match with one I have or can I find one on Amazon? Do I just follow the procedure posted in that link after the physical swap? Will this reset the stupid LCD and HDD lights?
buffmanjeff
Starting out

Post by buffmanjeff »

System temp and Fan speed are all out of wack.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

buffmanjeff wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:20 am
Does this need to be an exact match with one I have or can I find one on Amazon? Do I just follow the procedure posted in that link after the physical swap? Will this reset the stupid LCD and HDD lights?
I think the DOM/stick can be larger .. just not smaller than the original
buffmanjeff
Starting out

Post by buffmanjeff »

OK I can give that a shot. Check out the front LCD. I don't know, system boots and everything running (except temperature and fan speeds aren't reporting).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

drivers for LCD and LED controller might not have loaded correctly (corrupt boot image?)
buffmanjeff
Starting out

Post by buffmanjeff »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:47 am drivers for LCD and LED controller might not have loaded correctly (corrupt boot image?)
Is the image loaded on the DOM? So replacing that will "reset" this? Immediately when I power up the red lights are on (with or without drives). Been this way since I rebooted after the "system 1 fan failed" message last week, even though fan was running just fine.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

don't know how the LED's and LCD are controlled (multiplexed etc) .. some of those controllers keep the last known "state" .. so if they do not receive an "update" they keep whatever pattern was last
buffmanjeff
Starting out

Post by buffmanjeff »

OK I'll try the DOM replacement. You've been more help than Qnap support. They stopped after firmware update, suspected hardware errors and told me to buy a new NAS unit.
parkerc
Easy as a breeze

Post by parkerc »

Hi

Has anyone successfully done a firmware recovery on a TS-453 Pro NAS ?

It looks like I need to do that on mine, but the firmware recovery guide on the QNAP wiki (https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Rec ... -based_NAS) doesn’t line up with what I can see when I try do it ?

As mentioned in the opening post, the closest match I can find on the wiki is a TS-453 Series (no Pro mentioned) - but ok, that sounds all encompassing - so I downloaded that but when I then look at the BIOS screens, my NAS BIOS does not line up - as I have a F11 option to access the set up !!??

If I look further down the wiki I can see other NASs have that F2 and DEL option e.g the section that has the TS-453Bmini ??

Anyway - wanting to make progress, I just ASSUMED that the screenshot was wrong, plus the goal after all is to get the NAS to boot from a USB stick, which I had created from the guide, so I accessed the bios via F2 and set it to boot from the USB, which upon a reboot it then does..

Cut a long story short, the resulting recovery progresses for a bit, but this time shows me even more screens that i can’t find anywhere on the wiki !! It runs for a bit and then eventually tries to do something - but in the end it fails to work, giving me the following message (see attached photo)..

WARNING: Autodetection seems to hang
please check your computer BiOS settings

Unperturbed- I tied again and again, but the same result - so here I am, back to square one again.

Side note - QNAP support have been brilliant, a guy (Matt) worked for ages remotely trying the fix my original issue, leaving me to do the firmware recovery myself, which he felt was the underlying cause.

I’ve left him a message, but as it’s the weekend I was wondering is anyone has successfully restored the firmware on their 453 Pro, and if they did, which guide did you follow, as it seems each guide has a different iso image to place on the USB key.. My gut tells me the wiki has mixed up the guide for the TS-453 Pro.
Model Name : QNAP TS-253be (16GB) & TS-453D (16GB)
Firmware Version:: QTS Latest
OS Version : Apple iOS (iPad/Safari Browser)
Number & Type of HDDs : 2 x 3TB WD Reds, Raid 1 & 4 x 4TB WD Reds, Raid 5
Website (When I have time) : http://www.nodecentral.co.uk
razzyuk
Starting out

Post by razzyuk »

Any luck buffmanjeff ?
I have the same “SYSTEM BOOTING >>>” message and all HDD disk LEDs are static red.

Although the system does boot and can access the web interface.

The disk speed and temperature probes are out of whack in the web interface.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

try reapplying the firmware..there might be stuff broken or missing
razzyuk
Starting out

Post by razzyuk »

Ok, so I have some positive signs of recovery.
Flashed the previous firmware, rebooted and then disk lights are now green and working.

Flashed the current firmware, rebooted and now the status LED has come back to life.

However, now the LCD screen has decided to display nothing.
I have ordered a USB header connector (hopefully the right one), just in case, to add a USB drive DOM replacement if needed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motherboard- ... 2004091336
razzyuk
Starting out

Post by razzyuk »

Another update.
Managed to restore the LCD display by checking the lcdmond process, used the commands in this post... viewtopic.php?t=93887#p414179

Return to “Users' Corner”