QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
jon96789
Know my way around

Re: QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Post by jon96789 »

Just a question for the affected users. According to Intel, the problem occurs when the LPC degrades over time. According to their data sheet:

Problem:Under certain conditions where activity is high for several years the LPC, USB (low speed and full speed) and SD Card circuitry may stop functioning in the outer years of use.

Implication:LPC circuitry that stops functioning may cause operation to cease or inability to boot. SD Card or USB circuitry that stops functioning may cause SD Cards to be unrecognized or Low Speed or Full Speed USB devices to not function. Intel has only observed this behavior in simulation. Designs that implement the LPC interface at the 1.8V signal voltage are not affected by the LPC part of this erratum.

Workaround:Firmware code changes for LPC circuitry and mitigations for SD Card & USB circuitry have been identified and may be implemented for this erratum

Has QNAP implemented any of the firmware code changes to mitigate the issue?

I have a TS-453 Pro which has been running 24x7x365 since i bought it on December 2015. So far it has been running fine. How much of a load have you been placing on your NAS? I just use my NAS as a DLNA server.
ali.itsat
New here

Post by ali.itsat »

Hi. I have this problem with VS-2204 pro+, what can I do ?

""early console in decompress_kernel""

Would u help me please ?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

read the topic...shm
jon96789
Know my way around

Post by jon96789 »

QNAP has informed me that there is no fix for this LPC problem. How long have you had your NAS before it failed?

According to Cisco (they have some equipment that uses the affected Celerons), the problem may rear its head as soon as 18 months of use and that the problem becomes quite common at 36 months. I have had my TS-453 Pro for almost six years running 24x7x365 and so far it has been running like a champ. I guess I bought my TS-673A just in time. Luckily, my TS-853A (uses a Celeron N3150) does not seem to have the problematic Celeron (J1900/J2000).
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

there is a fix ...aforementioned resistor..

how long it will last ? unknown

obvious that qnap does not advise/suggest to do that (liability)
z0ner69
First post

Post by z0ner69 »

451 here, purchased 2016.

Just like everyone here - no notification, no email from QNAP about this time bomb. I'm **.

I measured 1 to 8 and 10, got about 2.4VDC. I put a 1/4W 100ohm resistor across the 1 and 10 with no difference. I went lower, adding a 470ohm in parallel which brings it down to 82.46ohm - no change. I may try 120ohm but I'm pretty discouraged at this point.

I have a 451D2-4G coming in from Amazon, just so I can get the data off my drives. Once the data is off, I'm returning it and building my own mini Plex server. QNAP has lost me as a customer.
snyderte2
First post

Post by snyderte2 »

This morning my TS-451 that has been running 24x7 since Dec 2014 (has J1800 2014) wouldn't boot. Did 100ohm jumper to 1 and 10 and all is well, for now.
I was on top of the firmware updates as well. Odd to me that these all started happening around the same time.

Any suggestion for a good replacement NAS , just want host lightweight virtual containers and files. (didn't use the HDMI or transcoding)

Thank you forum!
daman101
New here

Post by daman101 »

Hey all, I my ts 451 just crashed. Solid red lights on all HD's. I just ordered the resistors on amazon and will try the 1-10 jumper trick when I get them. However I find it rather ironic that all of these NAS are simultaneously crashing around the same time. Could the firmware from the beginning of the year going forward causing these crashes? Does QNAP have something to do with this? Its just odd that out of no where they have been getting a lot of ransomware hacks and now these dead NAS's. I've had mine since 2015 and never had any issues with it till this week.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

probably all around the same age/runtime....it's a known bug with the cpu generation..so no other influence other than age
daman101
New here

Post by daman101 »

Well I just got the resistors and soldered pins 1 and 10 on my ts451 but it's still showing the red lights and I'm not getting any HDMI video output. Reset it a few times and rechecked to make sure I soldered everything correctly. Am I missing something or is my NAS now trash?
P1Fanatic
Starting out

Post by P1Fanatic »

Another TS-453 Pro owner here and mine died a couple of days ago. Came into the room and external fan was very loud and display just said booting. Restarted it and it did beep but no HDMI output. Removed memory, drives etc and not beeping now. Sounds like I have the same issue. Not sure I can be bothered with the resistor fix if its only short term. If I order a replacement QNAP NAS is it just as simple as installing the drives (was running 2x2TB WD Reds in Raid 1) and powering the new one up? If so I guess the logical replacement is the 451+ although I never ended up using 3rd and 4th bays so a 251 would probably suffice.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

qnap has a website for your question

https://www.qnap.com/en/nas-migration
2big4u
New here

Post by 2big4u »

Hi all. This morning experienced the same issue. TS-453 Pro been running 24x7x365 for 6 years. Red lights, does not boot with nor without drives. Based on what I see on this thread, seams like it's dead.
2big4u
New here

Post by 2big4u »

Alright, different problem. How do I access my data from two external drives I've been doing backups that are formatted as ext4? Windows 10 wants me to format drives. Have not tried macos or linux yet. What is the easiest method, do I need any software?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

ext reader on windows or linux/mac out of the box

should have made the backups on ntfs (didnt think that through?)

Return to “Users' Corner”