New user looking for some help with a few questions

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Sootchucker
New here

New user looking for some help with a few questions

Post by Sootchucker »

HI all, I'm pretty new to QNAP NAS systems having just purchased a TS-453A, populated with 16tb of WD Red drives and a TS-251+ with 4TB of WD red drives. This was to replace my elderly and very slow (although very stable) ReadyNAS NV+ V2 unit that I've had for 6 years now.

In terms of complexity and features offered (and speed), it blows the ReadyNAS out of the water, but after re-installing all my movies, photos, files and music, it has left me with a few questions.

On the TS-251+ unit, I have this in work connected to a personal PC, used mainly as an image store. Everything works really well however as its in a work environment, I obviously can't connect it to our corporate WI-FI, but can connect via our GUEST WIFI. To that end I purchased a USB WI-FI stick which works really well, and give me web connectivity (software updates, remote connection from home etc.). However it's with this USB WI-FI network that I have an issue. The NAS is set to power down late at night and power up first thing in the morning. It does this perfectly, but whenever it re-boots, it never automatically re-connects to our Guest WI-FI network, and I have to fiddle around for several minutes to "force" it to connect. It's then golden until it powers off at night then back on again the following morning and the same thing happens. Is this a setting, something I am doing wrong or just what happens with these USB WI-FI sticks ? I've also noticed that after managing to get it to reconnect to the Wi-Fi system, that cloud link always shows an abnormal connection status and I have to click the re-connect button every time ?

The second issue is with my new TS-453A, which I have at home as my main media server with many TB of movies, images and music on it. I have it networked via CAT6 cable to my router and can see it on my PC and my laptops / Ipads etc and everything works really smoothly. The issue is that I have a new (2017) Samsung 50" Smart TV and it has a number of network features. It's also connected via cat 6 cable to the same router. The built in Plex app works perfectly and this can see all my movies and other media perfectly. However when I first set up the NAS, the TV also recognised the TS-453A as a seperate AV source which I could then browse (and play the media back) using the remote control. However over the last couple of weeks, it can't see the NAS server anymore even though the Plex app on the same TV can ? I think I may have messed with a setting, as similarly, my Amazon TV Fire stick with Kodi 17.4 installed, could also see NAS, and in the "Movie" section of Kodi used to display all the movies on the NAS (with various filters e.g. categories) for finding the movie I wanted. Well now, just like the native TV, it can't see the NAS server either ?

Now I know I could just continue with Plex on the TV which works perfectly, but it's really bugging me why they both worked 3 weeks ago when I first added the NAS, and now they don't. I've obviously in my naiveness must have messed with a setting in the QTS front end, but can't for the life of me see what I've done ?

For info, full details of both NAS drives are here. Can anyone assist please ? If you need me to provide any more information then please just shout.

TS-453A - Version 4.3.3.0299 (2017/01/09) 4 gb ram - 4 x 4TB WD Red Drives
TS-251+ - Version 4.3.3.0299 (2017/01/09) 8 gb ram - 2 x 2TB WD Red Drives
dolbyman
Guru

Re: New user looking for some help with a few questions

Post by dolbyman »

for the wifi issues...get a wifi bridge..so no fiddling with any sticks or settings

the tv probably saw your dlna server ..maybe you have disabled it

I have a ks8000 and dlna works great (twonky on the qnap)

for some stupid reason samsung only puts 100MbE in their tv's ....so the ac wifi is actually faster than cable
Sootchucker
New here

Post by Sootchucker »

Err sorry - what''s a wifi bridge ?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I use this
http://ca.dlink.com/products/access-poi ... -extender/

you set it up into bridge mode and connect your device (or several via switch) to the builtin network port and you have wired devices on your wifi without any configuration of SSID,passwords,etc

I use it to connect my bedroom TV to the network (DLNA via the QNAP) works great

Return to “Users' Corner”