Apps dropped

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
martinm7703
First post

Apps dropped

Postby martinm7703 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:03 pm

I've owned a QNAP NAS (TS 212 P) for 3 years, and it has performed well. Now I'm planning to upgrade, but I'm not sure about QNAP -- my concern is that they drop app support randomly and without explanation. Two examples are KODI and SERVIIO. Does anyone have experience with Synology? Are they more reliable about app support?

AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Re: Apps dropped

Postby AlastairStevenson » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:02 am

Two examples are KODI and SERVIIO.

They are not dropping App support randomly.
If you don't know why a Blue-chip commercial business-oriented organisation would not want to be seen promoting Kodi you should google it.
TS-431+ as primary storage and media server and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station.

graemev
Starting out

Postby graemev » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:07 pm

I gather KODI is a rebranding of XBMP. I bought a small (VESA) PC for the back of the TV. It runs Windows media something or other. I always planned to upgrade it to mythTv , but life if short. I had in the back of my mind to use XBMP as an alternative. The idea being a "smart player" for a dumb TV , so I could play content from various places , without the need for a smart TV (which always seem to be unable to play any particular format) . I have a number of smart TVs and they each seem to only play a very restrictive set of files/formats. My Sony for example can do mpeg2 format but nothing newer. The Samsung can play more modern encodings but in many of these it cannot do fast forward/back etc. The Windows media stuff when playing a youtube 1080P video drives the CPU so hard the video stutters. So a sensible media player seems like a better solution. Bit sad it's getting mixed up with what some folks use it for ... I gather some folks use the telephone to organise bank robberies many we should outlaw phones? My qnap (412) does not have any video out so I've never tried this (didn't realise it existed)

thewalkernz
Starting out

Postby thewalkernz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:24 am

AlastairStevenson has made an understandable but incorrect assumption on why QNAP have dropped active Kodi support.

It is solely & officially because QNAP do not provide Dolby DTS directly on their hardware or software & therefore do not license from Dolby. However Kodi software does include Dolby making QNAP liable to pay for the license if they advertise & provide the Kodi package.
Kodi have no such license issues currently as they are a non-for-profit (as far as I am aware).
So, it's QNAP playing it safe to avoid potential future litigation from Dolby. But all very poorly communicated.

AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Postby AlastairStevenson » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:18 pm

Thanks for the clarification.
But all very poorly communicated.

So no citation?

The use of Kodi has become synonymous with copyright abuse on a large scale, with court cases and successful prosecutions of those selling the so-called 'fully loaded' versions in streaming appliances.
TS-431+ as primary storage and media server and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station.

Return to “Users' Corner”