Can I use both Plex and the Qnap media library?

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
dbuche
New here

Can I use both Plex and the Qnap media library?

Post by dbuche »

I purchased a Qnap TVS-471 to use as a Plex media server and it works flawlessly on my network. But I want to put it my motorhome and connect it only to a smart tv via hdmi cable and I cannot make that work.

I thought it would be a simple matter of changing the tv input to the NAS, which sees the Plex account, and the Plex Home Theater app. But, it ignores my NAS and is pointing to a development server that I stopped using after I got the NAS.

My Plex account shows the NAS as the only server. I manually entered the NAS ip address in Plex Home Theater, but it still sees only the limited media files on the development server and sees nothing if I unplug the NAS from the lan.

I am wondering now if I have to activate the media library function on the NAS, but am concerned that the reindexing might interfere with the Plex app.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Can I use both Plex and the Qnap media library?

Post by dolbyman »

for local playback via hdmi, install kodi
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Delete Plex Home Theater that was in HD Station App Store. That is a VERY old version that has long been unsupported.

You have a few options:

Plex Clients: Kodi:
Kodi will NOT use the plex backend (unless you use the Plex Addon) and you will point it directly at your media files.

Main downside is lack of synchronization for watched statuses with Plex.

Other thing to test beforehand is how Plex will behave if you don't have an internet connection in your motorhome.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
dbuche
New here

Post by dbuche »

Thanks for that, Kodi is now installed and running on my nas.

Since my libraries are already in Plex, I downloaded and installed the Plex add on for Kodi, but I am worried that it too might require internet access.

Can I use Plex through Kodi if my nas is only connected to the TV via hdmi, or must I builed new libraries in Kodi? If so, will they interfere with the libraries I have in Plex?
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

dbuche wrote: Can I use Plex through Kodi if my nas is only connected to the TV via hdmi, or must I builed new libraries in Kodi? If so, will they interfere with the libraries I have in Plex?
Plex Add-on is just a client front-end to Plex Server (PMS) backend. Kodi has its own separate "library" independent of Plex.

So on my system I have both Plex and Kodi indexing the same media (Kodi for local use, Plex for remote primarily). Both work fine that way, they just don't really "talk" to each other though. So things like watched/unwatched status's are by default not sync'd between the 2.

Here is the Plex list of what works and doesn't work if you don't have an Internet connection: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articl ... quirements
Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dbuche
New here

Post by dbuche »

Your advise has been invaluable and I thank you again, but I ran into another snag. I pointed Kodi at my movie and television files on my nas. It immediately started dowloading metadata and I could access the content of both files through the tv without an internet connection. But, I was unable to actually watch any file. The program would start but run with jerks and stops. Also, as soon as I start Kodi the tv began a rapid ticking noise. I thought perhaps it had something to do with the server processing the new files, so I let it run all night. Same thing this morning. I cannot watch any vidio in Kodi and the ticking is constant until I stop Kodi. I can watch the same videos with no problem through Plex when I connect the server to the internet. I'm guessing it is a server setting, but I haven't a clue.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Make sure you have CodexPack installed for HD Station.

I would double check your KODI audio/HDMI settings as it sounds like that maybe part of it. I would post any issues you are having in Father Mande's KODI thread as he will likely to be able to help you better than I can here.
Paul

Return to “Users' Corner”