QNAP T251A - admin account

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
ordnael
New here

QNAP T251A - admin account

Post by ordnael »

Hi All,

I bought a QNAP TS251-A and after few days the Admin user was not working anymore. The admin password (admin) was not working anymore.

In order to solve this I had to reset the QNAP NAS and admin account was working again. I created also a new account (leandro) in order to overcome this issue again.

Unfortunately after few days the admin account is not working again. I can access with my additional account (leandro) but it belong to the grout "everyone" and not "administrator". So I cannot edit some config file via SSH because such files are owned by admin user and administrator group.

How can I solve this issue? I treid to use passwd command but of course it does not work because leandro user is not sudo user!

Can anyone help me?

Leandro
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP T251A - admin account

Post by dolbyman »

any parts of the nas exposed?

(making sure you are not getting hacked)...passwords do not "automagically" change
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Not changing the (only) default password can't be a good idea...
bebbi99
New here

Post by bebbi99 »

Hi
Since yesterday, i face the same problem on my TS251.
'Your credentials are incorrect or your account is no longer valid'
I know, that i can reset the TS,but what could be the reason for this? A few hours before, i was looking movies from the NAS.
(I am not an active NAS hobbyist. Once configured and then it should run.)
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

bebbi99 wrote:I know, that i can reset the TS,but what could be the reason for this? A few hours before, i was looking movies from the NAS.
Had not changed the default admin password before?
bebbi99 wrote:(I am not an active NAS hobbyist. Once configured and then it should run.)
Of course. Still, a NAS is a complex system requiring some regular attention. Last but not least, the admin account should not be used for daily usage, shared folder data access.
bebbi99
New here

Post by bebbi99 »

I never changed the Login, because i only store music and movies on it.

I did a reset on the TS a few hours ago and it worked again.
a few minutes ago, in the middle of a movie, the system asked the password again.

Do you mean, with any other password, this would not happen?
btw; afte the earlier reset of the password, i updated the firmware to 4.3.3.0361, this does'nt help!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

bebbi99 wrote:I never changed the Login, because i only store music and movies on it.
Not the best idea...
bebbi99 wrote:Do you mean, with any other password, this would not happen?
Much less likely - unless somebody does crack or steal one of your common passwords from the many systems on the wild Internet.

Once done that, in Control Panel -> Sicherheit -> Netzwerkzugangsschutz ... enable all items, except of the SMB one ... to avoid some kind of brute force or dictionary password attacks. (To proof the open access - I've already done it for you from the 178.x.x.156 IPv4 address!)

Please change your admin password now - the NAS is exposed to the Internet, and it can be accessed using admin/admin.

Gruess us Züri!

-Kurt
bebbi99
New here

Post by bebbi99 »

my NAS is your NAS :wink:

** happend again.......

i dues ändere und den luege mr emol
Gruess us Basel
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Jo dr no ... it has to happen, kind of predictable.

Nur e Gugge drüber hilft leider nit - no other way than changing the default password, here for admin.

-Kurt

Return to “Users' Corner”