TVS 873 Randomly keeps shutting down

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
alta1r
New here

Re: TVS 873 Randomly keeps shutting down

Post by alta1r »

Hey guys... my issue seems to be resolved. For me it was a RAM issue, specifically one of the RAM slots. Go into Control Panel first and see how much RAM is being reported. On my system (I missed this at first) it was reporting total RAM Memory as 8gb but usable Memory at only 4gb. I ended up opening the NAS and through a process of elimination tested the machine with each RAM module in each of the RAM slots to finally come to conclusion one was faulty (I used Memtest also to diagnose). I now have the system running stable by placing the two modules in two different slots. Now i'm getting the full 8gb reported with no shutdowns. Hope this helps.
Fazer9999
Starting out

Post by Fazer9999 »

Trexx wrote:I would open a Helpdesk ticket with Qnap. Do you have Qnap free antivirus enabled? I had some issues with that causing instability a while back (suspect a memory leak). Do you have a ups on your NAS to rule out power fluctuations?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

THX but the antivirus is disabled and all scheduled process is disabled.
My UPS is good i make test and take out the supply few times and the nas does not recognice...
This problem is whithout the UPS also.
Fazer9999
Starting out

Post by Fazer9999 »

WOOOW
I want to ask the warranty does not cease when I look the RAM or replace it, change placesis ?
(I used Memtest also to diagnose) can you show me how to do this?

alta1r wrote:Hey guys... my issue seems to be resolved. For me it was a RAM issue, specifically one of the RAM slots. Go into Control Panel first and see how much RAM is being reported. On my system (I missed this at first) it was reporting total RAM Memory as 8gb but usable Memory at only 4gb. I ended up opening the NAS and through a process of elimination tested the machine with each RAM module in each of the RAM slots to finally come to conclusion one was faulty (I used Memtest also to diagnose). I now have the system running stable by placing the two modules in two different slots. Now i'm getting the full 8gb reported with no shutdowns. Hope this helps.
alta1r
New here

Post by alta1r »

I’m just on the move at the minute but I’ll dig out the link to Memtest later when I get home. You basically write Memtest to a USB stick and boot the machine without disks while connected to a keyboard, monitor etc. QNAP have instructions for this somewhere on their support page. On the RAM, those machines are designed for user upgrades, so accessing the RAM is ok (QNAP support requested I do that as part of my case). If you want to be on the safe side you could wait until QNAP support prompt you to do that. If you’re not familiar with handling memory and the implications of static issues etc.. be careful and make sure you’re grounded etc before touching the memory.
Fazer9999
Starting out

Post by Fazer9999 »

I'd be happy to do it but these run:
Can I break it or wait... I think it is better to wait.
I make the boot USB memtest and I will press the F7 to boot menu and start it. Of corse without disks

alta1r wrote:I’m just on the move at the minute but I’ll dig out the link to Memtest later when I get home. You basically write Memtest to a USB stick and boot the machine without disks while connected to a keyboard, monitor etc. QNAP have instructions for this somewhere on their support page. On the RAM, those machines are designed for user upgrades, so accessing the RAM is ok (QNAP support requested I do that as part of my case). If you want to be on the safe side you could wait until QNAP support prompt you to do that. If you’re not familiar with handling memory and the implications of static issues etc.. be careful and make sure you’re grounded etc before touching the memory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alta1r
New here

Post by alta1r »

When you check Control Panel in the normal QNAP web based UI it should give you a breakdown of the Total Memory in the machine and the usable Memory... what does that say at the moment?
Fazer9999
Starting out

Post by Fazer9999 »

There i can see normal RAM data 8GB nothing strange.
I was waiting for the prewiously shown tasks (cleaning and syncronising) but the NAS shutdown again. :cry:
Now i run the RAM test. Is it normal ? 7637M capacity ?
Fazer9999
Starting out

Post by Fazer9999 »

Hy Guys!
The problem is maybe BIG. During the memtest the NAS shuts down.
In the night I see the test (running for 4 hour) and was no errors, but after 2 hours afer that the NAS was OFF.
What is the nex step? I cannot find any log! I take it to my workplace and start the test again, maybe the power is more stable there or i dont know...
Do you have any idea?
Thank you!
alta1r
New here

Post by alta1r »

Pretty sure at this point you have a hardware problem. You could try running the test again with just one RAM module at a time. It may be a bad RAM module. Equally it could be the power supply etc... Personally I would try running the Memtest with one RAM module at a time and see if it shuts down using both individual modules... if it does it could mean that there’s a power supply or other hardware problem (or both RAM modules are bad but probably unlikely). If it runs fine for a long period of time on Memtest with one module chances are the other is faulty.
Fazer9999
Starting out

Post by Fazer9999 »

I disassembled the NAS.
I have 2x4GB of Kingston CBD21D4S15HAG / 4G DDR4 SODIMMs memory.
I've tried the suggestions to use only one memory. But I found many oddities.
Full story:
1:
ORIGINALLY the memmory is in A2 and B2 position.
I moved them to positions A1 and B1
Result: Powering UP All disks on the display (frozen no action no boot)
2:
Only B1 place
Result: Powering UP All disks on the display (frozen no more action no boot)
3:
Only B2 place
result: All works memtest run for 6 hours without any error (memtest 245MHz can see the memory)
4:
Only A1 place
Result: Checking Memmory on the display (frozen shutdown or restart the NAS not working i take out the power cable)
5:
Only A2 place
Result: Everything works memtest run for 6 hours without any error (memtest 575 MHz sees the memory)
6:
All the same with the other memory.

Conclusion: I have assembled the NAS with the HDD. According to test 5.
I'm starting to run it, I'm waiting for a possible mistake.

Q: NAS is bad or memory? I think NAS. :oops:
alta1r
New here

Post by alta1r »

For me the memory was originally located in A2 and B2. When I loaded Memtest at this point it only reported 4gb. Eventually I got to the point where I tested each module separately in A2 and the modules worked fine (Proved RAM modules not faulty). I then loaded the modules into A1 and A2 and the system recognized both modules and has been up now for weeks with no shutdowns. My issue seems to be squarely with slot B2. I have no intention of using 4 DIMM slots in the machines lifetime so I’ll just use it as is. In your case. Have you tested the RAM modules individually? So you’ve shown that slot A2 works ok, have you tried using slot A2 for long periods of time with each individual RAM module? We need to determine that both modules are ok, I don’t really see a pattern above at the moment.
alta1r
New here

Post by alta1r »

Actually... when you tested with only A1 and B1 in place (Your test cases 2 and 4) you had failures, was this the same physical RAM module in these cases? You then report in cases 3 and 5 that when you started the machine with this individual RAM module in place it worked fine, was this the other RAM module? It could simply be a bad RAM module in your case then depending on how you ran the test and with which module you preformed it. Track the RAM modules you’re using in your tests. Try putting one of them to one side and testing with the same RAM module in each of the slots and noting the results - repeat that again after testing all slots with RAM ‘module 1’ for example.
Fazer9999
Starting out

Post by Fazer9999 »

The tests were done from 1 to 5 with a RAM1 module and again from 1 to 5 with the RAM 2 module. (this is what I referred to in test6)
In both test series, the situation was the same.
The system runs like in the test 5 (because memtest show this is the max speed)

Do you have any idea how can i check in the running system the memory clock frequency. Or the dual channel operating and frequency?

You say that you " A1 and A2 and the system recognized both modules " yes your system can run in dual channel mode in this position also.
I found the manual description see attachment:
According to the manual the freeze is acceptable.

Question:
You have the same problem with the A2 B2 combination that me. I try the A1 A2 combination. Can we say that this same problem is Qnap memory handling on A2 B2 combination ? This is warrante problem or not?
I woud ask the helpdesk. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

If you run with 2 Dimms, you will run at a lower memory speed. Somewhere around ~1800 is about right and is normal. Has been addressed before in the forums if you do a quick search.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Trexx on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
Fazer9999
Starting out

Post by Fazer9999 »

My NAS goes back to the dealer I'm tired of it. :cry: :cry:
I hope the QNAP warranty management is correct and send an other pack ... :roll:
At this moment, I'm disappointed of choosing this NAS type.

Return to “Users' Corner”