Got my TS-677 up and running! I've taken pictures for reference.

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
flymeaway
Starting out

Re: Got my TS-677 up and running! I've taken pictures for reference.

Post by flymeaway »

buiz_ wrote:Awesome, I did mean accessing the VM via a client browser so that's great. Will just need to enable audio, surely that's possible.

With that kind of firepower it should be possible to have the NAS output hdmi to a local screen via HDStation, serve a couple of transcoding Plex streams to units as well as provide a VM that's fully equipped to play games that are not too graphically demanding. Now I gotta go add up the numbers for a 64gb ts-877 with two gpu's (why not), a good sdd for caching and a bunch of 10 tb disks. Will not be cheap but oh the awesomeness of that rig... :)

EDIT: it's a cool $3200 (without hdd's, I have those already), but then it's also a beast and will basically supply a household with virtualized machines
I'm not sure you need the full 64gb of RAM. You could start with two stick of 16 (plus the 8 that's already on board). You can use (relatively) cheap-ish 2400mhz UDIMMs, too. It depends a bit on what you're doing in VMs, and how many you'll run simultaneously, but 8 gb per VM with 4 VMs... And RAM is *really* pricey right now, relative to historical -- it might come down a bit.

There are some awesome deals on SSDs right now... $125 for reasonable performance 512gb units. PM me and I can show you where...
David

Model: TS-877 R5-1600 // QTS 4.3.4.0551
Disks: 6x4TB HGST HUS726040ALE610 (RAID 6; QNAP approved) // 1x480gb Sandisk X400 SSD (no RAID; not approved)
RAM: 8gb QNAP OEM; 16gb Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 MHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 1050 SC Gaming
UPS: CyberPower AVR1350
Cloud Backup: TBD
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

flymeaway wrote:
buiz_ wrote:Awesome, I did mean accessing the VM via a client browser so that's great. Will just need to enable audio, surely that's possible.

With that kind of firepower it should be possible to have the NAS output hdmi to a local screen via HDStation, serve a couple of transcoding Plex streams to units as well as provide a VM that's fully equipped to play games that are not too graphically demanding. Now I gotta go add up the numbers for a 64gb ts-877 with two gpu's (why not), a good sdd for caching and a bunch of 10 tb disks. Will not be cheap but oh the awesomeness of that rig... :)

EDIT: it's a cool $3200 (without hdd's, I have those already), but then it's also a beast and will basically supply a household with virtualized machines
I'm not sure you need the full 64gb of RAM. You could start with two stick of 16 (plus the 8 that's already on board). You can use (relatively) cheap-ish 2400mhz UDIMMs, too. It depends a bit on what you're doing in VMs, and how many you'll run simultaneously, but 8 gb per VM with 4 VMs... And RAM is *really* pricey right now, relative to historical -- it might come down a bit.

There are some awesome deals on SSDs right now... $125 for reasonable performance 512gb units. PM me and I can show you where...
I would agree... the most cost effective option usually is to get the lowest memory config possible (based on model & cpu choice) and then upgrade the memory yourself. WIth DIMM pricing being all over the place lately, the gap maybe slightly lower then normal but you still should see a savings.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
Mahkceb
Starting out

Post by Mahkceb »

Hello,

Do you guys think for a 4-8 vm setup its preferable to go for a Ryzen 7? Or a Ryzen 5 ill do the job? Im thinking in 2 cores per vm...

Enviado do meu SM-N950F através do Tapatalk
flymeaway
Starting out

Post by flymeaway »

Mahkceb wrote:Hello,

Do you guys think for a 4-8 vm setup its preferable to go for a Ryzen 7? Or a Ryzen 5 ill do the job? Im thinking in 2 cores per vm...

Depends on what each VM is doing. VirtualStation will also do "virtual" CPUs instead of straight passthrough, which the Ryzen excels at (supposedly). If a bunch of your VMs are lightweight you could use "virtual" cores.

Also worth noting: even if you do VM passthrough, you have 12 cores to work with on the Ryzen 5. It takes the 6 hyperthreaded cores and lets you pass each through as a separate CPU, so effectively you have 12 cores to assign to VMs.

Again, a lot depends on what you're doing with the VMs.
David

Disks: 6x4TB HGST HUS726040ALE610 (RAID 6; QNAP approved) // 1x480gb Sandisk X400 SSD (no RAID; not approved)
Mahkceb
Starting out

Post by Mahkceb »

flymeaway wrote:
Mahkceb wrote:Hello,

Depends on what each VM is doing. VirtualStation will also do "virtual" CPUs instead of straight passthrough, which the Ryzen excels at (supposedly). If a bunch of your VMs are lightweight you could use "virtual" cores.

Also worth noting: even if you do VM passthrough, you have 12 cores to work with on the Ryzen 5. It takes the 6 hyperthreaded cores and lets you pass each through as a separate CPU, so effectively you have 12 cores to assign to VMs.

Again, a lot depends on what you're doing with the VMs.
Thks for the very detailed info @flymeaway

Well i'm thinking in a light SQL Server running in a WServer 2016 or Windows 10, a Torrent Server maybe in windows 10 ou Linux still trying to decide, a Windows 10 for testing purposes and a Plex Server for now :roll:
flymeaway
Starting out

Post by flymeaway »

jserio wrote: Have you (or anyone else) had a chance to try some other games over the network hosted on the VM? Since this seems to be a niche area right now, there are no YouTube videos showing off cloud gaming from a NAS.
I've used Steam Stream to do gaming on my laptop, but that's within my LAN not truly "cloud." It worked great. The TS-x77 series has a beast of a processor, and performance isn't native but it's close. It's like native for a slightly less-well-specced PC.
David

spizzi
First post

Post by spizzi »

Curious of two things:

1. Can I install a gtx-1080ti into this thing?
2. If I install two GPUs, can I crossfire them?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

1. doubt it..space//power//heat is one thi g
2. very unlikely .. you would need to ask qnap if the board supports sli
Kanashii
New here

Post by Kanashii »

1.- I doubt two 8 pin connectors are avaliable inside (I think only 6 pin )
2.- No space for 2 PCI-E (just one and with height limits)
Kanashii
New here

Post by Kanashii »

Tried anyone to put a Ryzen+ (2000 series) cpu on the QNAP board?
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Kanashii wrote:Tried anyone to put a Ryzen+ (2000 series) cpu on the QNAP board?
I believe someone did try it... doesn't work.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Return to “Users' Corner”