Moogle's TS-877 review

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Moogle's TS-877 review

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Code: Select all

Table of contents:
=========================

-my own review and summary 

-intro (mostly the marketing and spec sheet and other official/third party benches)

-features (mostly youtubes explaining features so i don't have to tediously explain it myself)

My own hands on review with ts-877
*this section below is info i personally garnered from my own actual usage of this model. so this section below is my own review/assessment of experiences with this model. i'll however add a youtube here and there to explain some of the parts so i don't have to. if anyone has questions about something i'll try and answer if i can though
//details added here

I did test the old (ts-653a) to new NAS (ts-877) migration and it worked (turn off both units, then remove hdd and put into new unit, then boot up, and your data is still intact). But i later reinitialized again to start from scratch (after i tested nas migration works), then used hybrid backup sync to restore from my backup qnap NAS to the new one. Note that in 4.3.4 the HDD order does not matter when doing NAS migration (in 4.3.3 it does :shock: )

Plex and Emby works. playback is smooth with no stutter. for Plex i set hurt cpu, though i preferred setting it to the setting just below that for smoothest playback (especially for my 1080p high bit rate video content and hevc) quality.

plex test

emby test

did a screencap for a better quality screenshot for emby playback transcoding. blueray rip mkv to get an idea what i see on screen. I still prefer watching on desktop via MPC HC (lav megamix), but i wouldn't mind the quality on Emby or plex, though i'd probably use them for remote access or when watching on mobile devices.

I prefer best Kodi for HDTV, though i wouldn't mind plex or emby (since they don't require me to use HDMI at all)

also tested hdstation, works. I also tested my Aktimate Mini speakers plugged into the qnap, and the audio played through it :) hdplay is nice but using the Kodi (provided by father mande) works the best. unfortunately i don't use this because requires plugging to HDMI which i can't because i move my qnap to router which is no where near my HDTV :(

Instead i use a Himedia h8 android box (which has kodi installed) DLNA to access the qnap. i still get to use kodi minus needing to use the qnap hdmi. but for best performance plugging qnap direct using hdmi would probably work best.

another thing i tried was VM (which is probably one of the major reasons to get this series). I used virtual station from app center, to setup win10 and using virtio driver for hdd performance. works great. to use the graphics card, you must plug the qnap via HDMI to a monitor though if you intend to utilize the graphics card. You basically turn the qnap into a desktop workstation doing that.

VM won't have the same performance as bare metal, but it can get close by doing further optimization when setting up VM. I recommend using this video guide which i used to do the same.

[youtube=]73podQlom9Y[/youtube]

[youtube=]UNvEaBGc73c[/youtube]

Alternatively you can setup to access the qnap VM via network rather than HDMI (though you cannot make use of the graphics card that way as far as i tried). This setup is probably most practical for me since like i mentioned earlier why i can't use HDMI. anyway i can test apps before applying to my own desktop workstation. I found that VM rollback using snapshots works excellently so can play around without worry as i can reset back to a clean slate.

graphics card can also be used for transcoding acceleration. but seems to work only for qnap native app hdstation and video station.

tested transcoding using qnap video station

To utilize graphics you need to first install the graphics card. Then go to qts > hardware and enable the toggle for VM or transcoding mode (reboot is required if you switch between modes). I tested so far using a Nvidia 1050 AERO ITX 2gb vram. works and seems to fit fine in my unit. A 1060 TI would probably be better but i wanted to spend as least as possible, as this is a feature i don't use too frequently.

You may be interested to know that, though there are power cables available to power the graphics, the 1050 i used didn't require using it, as just installing the pcie slot was sufficient. I'm not sure whether 1060 needs to plug in the power cable or not.

for graphics dimensions i found this image. i got a low profile graphics just in case.

because of the good hardware specs, there are a lot of things you can do with this NAS, and not just with QPKGs from appcenter, but also using container station to use other apps available from docker
https://hub.docker.com/explore/

I tested using transmission torrent client and it worked :mrgreen: I can setup a torrent seedbox this way if i wanted to.

it can also do all the usual stuff a QNAP does via QTS, so i won't get too much into that. Here is a QTS 4.3.4 video for people not familiar with QNAP QTS OS.
[youtube=]Kl5f4lPf7Rk[/youtube]

However i will mention my experiences with snapshots which i'm pretty new to, since this is the first time i actively used snapshots.

The first thing to keep in mind, when you first initialize(setup) your NAS, is to NOT allocated 100% of storage space. Keep at least 5 or 10% as unallocated. More unallocated if not required is even better (you can later adjust to allocate more space as needed).

The reason being is that snapshots on THICK volume would not allow snapshots unless you had 5% unallocated.

Anyways snapshots worked. I can access snapshots from my desktop windows 10, or from QNAP qts file station, or the snapshot manager. Enabling snapshots does take a performance toll so keep that in mind before deciding to use snapshots.

For SSD caching i installed 2x M.2 Samsung 850 EVO in raid1 cache acceleration (read only mode). Recently Qtier 2.0 was released, though i haven't really tried this out much, so maybe another user can explain what the performance differences are. I only know that Qtier 2.0 performance improved from before due to something they changed in how it worked.

I don't have any expansion PCIE cards so i couldn't try that out. But there is a video here explaining those options which the x77 series is able to use, like the m.2 PCIE expansion cards
[youtube=]aokjZsX652E[/youtube]

For RAM i stuck to the default. also not sure whether ECC ram is supported or not. But i did notice another user changed their ram. ram support for ryzen seems to be quirky, so i would suggest you do some research as to what will work, and make sure your store will accept a refund or replacement in case it's not fully compatible (and always first check the compatibility list)
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=137848

this is also the first model i own which supports audio notifications. when i reboot or upgrade, the speakers will notify me by audio what exactly it's doing. i set the volume to 100% I recommend between 90-100% for something more audible.

forgot to mention about the color. some people complained about the color, but having seen it in person (and having previously only seen the black and white color qnaps so far), it seems fine to me (though thats subjective). But it would fit right into either a casual or business environment setting is what i feel.

Benchmarks
//added my own performance benchmarks here by request. though i'm newb so not sure if it's done correctly so take with a grain of salt.

*testing equipment
==========================

[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 Samsung 850 Evo raid1 cache acceleration read only
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5

Other Network Devices
------------------------------
Asus AC68U AC1900 Router (RT Merlin firmware)|50mbps download/20mbps upload FTTH Internet | Windows 10 Enterprise, Water Cooled PC with Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)
performing HBS test was simple enough to do as there is an observable MB/s average after it finishes running. compared to past NAS usage it matches the performance i would expect (bottlenecked by my hdds and 1gbe networking gear). Only my older unit like the ts-509 Pro had a way slower transfer speed, because of outdated hardware. I'm not using all SSDs and 10gbe networking so i'm not really maxing out this unit at all, so any benchmark i do is more relevant to people using 1gbe networking gear and regular NAS HDDs (with m.2 SSD for caching read only).

877 to 653a backing up using hbs

also tested HBS restore from ts-659 pro II to the new ts-877

Did the usual backup using hybrid backup sync (latest version) from TS-877 to TS-653a (which got relegated to my backup unit rip :( ). Performance test i got using RTRR to remote (over local lan via ethernet) with SSL and smb3 enabled, was between 110-120 MB/s

when i tried the same from ts-877 to a ts-509 pro with ssl enabled, the performance dropped a bit. So for backing up to older models (with lower spec), i would suggest leaving the ssl disabled. Test out yourself with it on and off to decide.

also ran the QNAP diagnostic tool, HDD analyzer performance test

lan speed test lite between ts-877 and desktop pc

read: 682 Mbps = 85.25 MB/s
write: 840 Mbps = 105 MB/s
you can run the test yourself like i did
step1: Download “Lan Speed Test (Lite)
http://www.totusoft.com/downloads.html

step2: Choose a Qnap folder, and start test:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/test-home ... r-results/

tried to run iperf test but i couldn't get that to work. so if anyone wants to guide me in this, i can then do this test.

Intel NASPT benchmark

using this as a guide, i went for raid5 with 4x 4tb HGST HDDs, raid1 2x m.2 ssds, and 1x SSD (no raid) setup.
[youtube=]LYc1-D7X0Hk[/youtube]

more on hardware build quality.

The new m.2 heatsink was nice and sturdy. following the instructions managed to get it installed. i strongly suggest reading the manual on how to slide on the clip (it's a bit stiff), or you may end up damaging your m.2 ssd. part of the instruction was to also remove the thin covering so you can gently apply to your m.2 ssd so it will stick (i took my time to smoothen/gently apply even pressure so it had proper contact). when trying to install the m.2 ssd, i couldn't use the finger screws because my hand could not fit into the tiny space. So i instead use the other conventional screws (yes you get 2 types of screws for the m.2) using a long screw driver to install. observing the temps, the new heatsink seems to be doing a good job. But i've only had the unit for a few days only, is that enough time to make an assessment for this? If there is any issues i'll definitely update, but for now that is my take on that matter.

another thing i want to talk about is the HDD trays. This model is different from the rest i've used before. It has a tooless design (though you can still opt to screw it in place additionally if you want to), where you can press the HDD into the tray and it will click to stick. You need to remember to remove the side strips BEFORE trying to insert the hdd or you may end up breaking those plastic parts.

Other than the hdd tray, the hdd bay also feels like an improvement. compared to my older models, it was way smoother to slide the HDDs into the hdd bays without getting stuck.

And though the hdd bays did not have any key locks, there was a lock slide mechanism so you don't accidentally pull out a hdd when their locked. It's easy to unlock, so don't expect that as a security feature :mrgreen: The unit does have a kensington lock feature, but that doesn't protect the hdd bays from theft. I use the QTS share ENCRYPTION for my important data and store the nas in a secure area so that's sufficient security for my own purposes.

noise seems okay (at an arms reach distance). It's no where near as loud as a vacuum cleaner, put it that way. it has a soft hum almost barely perceptible, but compared to my other gear like my 8 fans water cooled workstation (on low fan speed), i can barely hear it over that. So no i don't believe the noise will be an issue.

the led lighting was decent. If it bothers you, there is a setting to adjust the LED brightness. I just kept mine on max.

Forgot to mention that i also tested the front SSD bays. I used my old Intel SSD X25-M 160GB and it worked fine. I'd probably use that for installing VM (specify location) onto this SSD for performance i guess.

more on the software

the only major difference i found between this and my older models was the addition of graphics under QTS > hardware. Also an option in appcenter for install the nvidia driver app. As well as in resource monitor a section for graphics utilization.

Also the addition of Vqts currently only available to this model atm.

summary

the x77 series performance is excellent. with the many threads (even for the models with ryzen 1600 cpu) you have a better VM experience as you have more threads to utilize.

build quality is excellent, however keep in mind that the x77 lacks (USB Type-C QuickAccess port), thunderbolt, oled capacitive (like on the x53b series).

the x77 series is the first and only qnap model that supports vQts which uses virtual station to make virtual QTS. Makes sense because there are a lot of cores to play around with. QNAP said they MAY considering adding this feature for other models though not sure which and when.
[youtube=]s1xjmXp78bY[/youtube]

if you want to do plex transcoding, then the X73 series (i don't have this model though i did research this model and read other user experiences with it and based on specsheet) should be the minimum model i would recommend for a good experience with whatever media you intend to play using plex. If you want to do VM on top of that, then the X77 series is way better (as well as having even better plex transcoding performance as well).

If i were to compare the ts-877 to the ts-653a (which i also have), i would say that the plex transcoding has improved drastically. Though keep in mind i don't have a plex pass so maybe had i used the quicksync hardware acceleration, the ts-653a may be able to transcode just fine (albeit with a lower video quality compared to using software mode). Also the other difference is cpu. ts-877 has a better cpu and more threads, allowing me to use many apps and doing many things simultaneously without any sluggishness or any requirement to selectively turn off apps in order to use another. so the experience of upgrading to the ts-877 for me was a pleasant one as that fits more into my ballpark for the kinds of usage i expect when using a NAS.

If your demands for NAS isn't so hardcore, you probably can settle for a celeron or annapura model if all you do is storage, or just need a cheap backup, or your not too fussy about lowering video quality/resolution into the ground just for it to work with transcoding (okay maybe not annapura cause no quicksync just in case) :S

*update

In regards to intel management issue, there was a recent security bulletin by Qnap that says it doesn't affect QNAP NAS.
https://www.qnap.com/en/security-advisory/nas-201711-29

That aside, if you need thunderbolt, then your only option is an Intel QNAP model. If that is not required, then you should consider this X77 series :) or even the x73 if your on a budget. cheaper than that is the x53a series (though if you intend to transcode i recommend a plex pass for quickync, though i'm not sure how it will fare with HEVC content due to cpu specs)

What i liked

- performance
- lots of cpu cores
- fast networking
- all the qnap features (QTS, vqts, qsirch, photo station, file station, qboost, virtual networking, storage manager, ssd caching, etc etc....  :mrgreen:  )
- aesthetics
- better hdd trays (tooless) and bays (improvement from previous models)
- plex transcoding beast  :mrgreen:  (finally i can watch many streams with smooth playback)
- vm (performance near to bare metal performance, cept perhaps HDD which is half bare metal if i were to see the test on youtube when using virtio, but still acceptable to most people in regards to VM)
- kodi via hdstation (using father mande's qpkg)
- plex and emby support
- container station (using docker apps)
- qnap helpdesk support
- it's amd (good time to switch camps and force intel to make more cpus like coffee lake with more threads to get off their laurels and drive prices down  :roll:  )

what i don't like

- no btrfs. then again they did make an article why i don't need it (performance reasons). i wouldn't mind having a choice so i could test out the difference myself though. EXT4 will suffice for now
https://www.qnap.com/solution/qnap-ext4/en/

- price. wish it was cheaper, but in the end it's a piece of hardware i use quite a lot, so  that justified the investment for me, because in the end i needed something with the performance for my own needs, and nothing on the market beat this (unless you went down the DIY route which is a problem for me). Also i get QNAP support since i'm not too technical, this helps me maintain the NAS if i do run into issues. i can't speak for others regarding this, but for me was it was worth it.

- no oled capacitive screen (but that would just jack up the price. I can live without it, but if we can get this without much increase in price, that would probably be better)

- no quickaccess usb  :( 

- no thunderbolt (i don't have tb gear, but wouldn't mind having it so i have one less step to take for a tb setup down the road. then again if it helps reduce price without it, then i don't mind the lack of this feature). though the issue is tb is only available on an intel platform

*i'll put a score, 1-10, 10 being the most impressed, and 0 the least.

performance: 9 (the one i'm using is a Ryzen 1600, so obviously it will score below a 1700. Also it's not threadripper  :wink:  so it doesn't get 10, but that said it's performance is still very impressive so if just scoring based on it's performance alone and my experience with using it to do everything i asked of it, and ignoring other cpus, it's probably a 10 for what i needed it to do)

features: 9 (Overall it does most of what i need it to do)

build quality: 9 (Has everything i actually do need/will use, minus quickaccess)

price: Up to you to decide on your own. for me was worth it for my media data hoarder NAS.

Intro

By request (reading forum seeing people ask about this model) i made my own review for the TS-877

*draft - work in progress :shock:
Notes: i supplemented my own hands on review with some of what others also cover in their own experience. will also add some info from the other models in the series as there are some similarities e.g. m.2 heatsink etc
X77 series intro
[youtube=]vTGtjF7Xe3A[/youtube]

Ts-877 product page
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/ts-877

AMD Ryzen cpu intro
[youtube=]aACaq3C4ONY[/youtube]
ts-877 youtube intro - unboxing, walkthorough (by spandotcom)
[youtube=]Zzfk25XLIkM[/youtube]

Reviews by others

ts-877 review by spandotcom (performance benchmarks included)
http://nascompares.com/2017/12/07/unbox ... ever-seen/
Tested in QNAP Labs. Figures may vary by environment.

2 x 10GbE Transfer
Test environment:
NAS: TS-877-1700-16G
Volume type: RAID 5; 8 x Intel SSDSC2BB240G4 SSD
Client PC: Windows 10, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4 GHz, 32GB RAM, QNAP LAN-10G2SF-MLX 10GbE NIC, IOMeter sequential read and write

QNAP M.2 Cooling Module Test with QNAP TS-1277 (for people wondering about the m.2 cooling with the new heatsink)
[youtube=]Mne_JircFa8[/youtube]

QNAP TS-1277 + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti - 13 VM Test
[youtube=]N9MuuE5fpIY[/youtube]

QNAP TS-1277 (8vCPU) vs Synology DS3018xs (2vCPU) VM video transcoding performance Test
[youtube=]_N_fTp4pcKI[/youtube]

QNAP TS-1277 M.2 SATA SSD fio read/write speed test
[youtube=]voezSJCNFaY[/youtube]

QNAP TS-1277(NVIDIA GTX 960) vs QNAP TS-453B vs Synology DS918+ Transcoding Test
[youtube=]n4Kb1yJc7iI[/youtube]
TS-1277 (NVIDIA GTX 960) Time Used = 34 s (Main@L3.1)
TS-453B (Intel J3455) Time Used = 54 s (High@L5.1)
DS918+ (Intel J3455) Time Used = 51 s (Main@L3.2)

*x77 external/internal picture

for ts-877
http://nascompares.com/2017/12/07/unbox ... ever-seen/

these are also pics for the ts-677
other forum threads about x77 series (in future there may be more. use the forum search to find them)

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=134062

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=137875

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=137966

Features

Some videos covering X77 series features

qtier 2.0, graphics card...
[youtube=]M5uCyF6QKB0[/youtube]

Qboost
[youtube=]5zJ-Z5Jt6Yo[/youtube]

hdstation
[youtube=]jj9l_SNZCxg[/youtube]

QNAP Virtualization Station
[youtube=]xmPOusguexY[/youtube]
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:07 am, edited 66 times in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
P3R
Guru

Re: Moogle's TS-877 review

Post by P3R »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:another plus x77 is it's using an amd cpu, so probably can hang with them till intel get some off their drama sorted out. hopefully
Please stop doing FUD here. https://www.qnap.com/en/security-advisory/nas-201711-29
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

chillax snowflake. i already updated accordingly :roll:
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

@ moogle ...

I know that you love to include youtube videos in your post .. and while they are often helpful, for a personal review of the model, I would not pad it with dozens of videos .. We want to hear YOUR opinion and not others :P
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

dolbyman wrote:We want to hear YOUR opinion and not others :P
+10

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

dolbyman wrote:@ moogle ...

I know that you love to include youtube videos in your post .. and while they are often helpful, for a personal review of the model, I would not pad it with dozens of videos .. We want to hear YOUR opinion and not others :P
i don't see anything wrong with using other sources of info to supplement mine like pictures, spec sheet and other tests performed.

i even specified which parts are other peoples, and which was my own (i could probably incrs the heading size to make it more obvious if that helps?) so the reader knows which is my own hands on review and which is it 8)

pics i don't see the point if it's already available. i could however run my own performance tests when i'm free. but i'm a newbie so then i'm not sure if i would have done it right, so i offer what others are saying on that subject as a comparison. any detailed performance test i do will be
added much later when i have time to spare for that, thats why it's a draft :)

other than that, i'm not going to make my own youtube videos just for the sake of it if there is already people who covered the same thing. i at least watch it then comment if there is something i feel is off about it, or i have a differing opinion on something at least.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

nobody asks for any sort of benchmarking/photos/etc. from you ..

but if the thread title is teasing "your review", give us your opinion .. right now I have to fight through pictures, linked videos, videos in quotes and all sorts of padding to get to your actual thoughts

again, don't think I am expecting any sort of professional review here, just however much you want to write/test/share
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

I am more in the middle Moogle re: the youtube stuff. My suggestion though would be to put your system config, OWN personal observations, etc. in the first post (or beginning of it) and then have a 2nd post with "For more information/3rd party testing/etc.) or move that more to the bottom. Also maybe separate headers regarding TS-x77 stuff vs. Advanced QTS 4.3.x stuff.

That way as others have suggested people can get your take, what you like and don't like, etc. And if they want to know more about the product line, features, etc. that is in the bottom of your post or 2nd post. Also just to keep the scroll down, I would maybe just put the full youtube link in, not the embedded links for the majority of items especially when there are that many of them. Either way the user still has to click on them, but it keeps the post size down.

Just some thoughts. Glad you are enjoying your new toy. I love mine so far.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Trexx wrote:I am more in the middle Moogle re: the youtube stuff. My suggestion though would be to put your system config, OWN personal observations, etc. in the first post (or beginning of it) and then have a 2nd post with "For more information/3rd party testing/etc.) or move that more to the bottom. Also maybe separate headers regarding TS-x77 stuff vs. Advanced QTS 4.3.x stuff.

That way as others have suggested people can get your take, what you like and don't like, etc. And if they want to know more about the product line, features, etc. that is in the bottom of your post or 2nd post. Also just to keep the scroll down, I would maybe just put the full youtube link in, not the embedded links for the majority of items especially when there are that many of them. Either way the user still has to click on them, but it keeps the post size down.

Just some thoughts. Glad you are enjoying your new toy. I love mine so far.
hm well the i posted like this

intro (mostly the marketing and spec sheet and other official benches)

>>

general info (just features with youtubes so i don't have to tediously explain it myself)

>> 

my review
I'll probably add a short version and long version (table of contents) at the very top, so people can skip straight to what is relevant. hope that will help

not sure what other experiences i can add (i tried to refrain from some of the qts features already well known, and touch more on whats new with this model), but i'll try :S

i also updated with some of my own benchmarks. Though considering i'm using 1gbe networking gear, and not SSD (other than m.2 for ssd caching) not sure that it does it much justice for showing the max performance potential for this model. If anyone spots anything off in the benchmark let me know.

*update

made some adjustments. finalized version? :'

PS: i did request a forum hide/hidden content BB tag function so we can reduce clutter. still waiting on that :(
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

small update, seems x77 also has QuAI

[youtube=]YzvPyIFQkhU[/youtube]
NAS

Network

Resources
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

It will be the first model to get QuAI (not out yet), but long-term won’t be the only one per Qnap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

spotted another review for the ts-877 here
https://www.geeklingo.net/introducing-q ... -reviewed/

8)
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Virtualization Station 3.1.7
( 2018/01/29 )

[New Features]
- Added support for vQTS (TS-x77 series only). More information (https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... al-qts-nas)

[Fixes]
- Virtual machines would have display output issues when using GPU pass-through with an NVIDIA Quadro® M2000 in a TDS-16489U.
- VM export displayed inaccurate calculation of storage spaces.
- A remote NAS password containing escape characters could not be saved as a NAS credential.
- Playing a video in a Windows 10 VM with HD Station would return to the HD Station desktop.
https://www.qnap.com/en/app_releasenote ... hoose=QKVM

https://www.qnap.com/solution/vqts/en/

Requirements:

-Virtualization Station 3.1.7 (or later).
-Your QNAP NAS must be connected to the internet to download the vQTS Image.
-The following table lists compatible QNAP NAS models and their maximum instances of vQTS:
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... al-qts-nas

:mrgreen:
NAS

Network

Resources
foguet
Starting out

Post by foguet »

Hello!
Has anyone changed the TS-877 CPU from Ryzen 5 1600 to Ryzen 7 1700?
Any suggestions? Can there be power failure problems?
I'm thinking about changing it and I'd like your opinion :)
Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.4.2.x
RAM: 4x 16Gb Crucial CT2K16G4DFD824A
GPU: GeForce GTX 1050
UPS: Eaton Ellipse PRO 1200
Media Boxes: Nvidia Shield; Fire Stick 4K; Odroid C2 (Kodi)

Old NAS: TS-453 Pro (16 Gb), TS-409 Pro
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

foguet wrote:Hello!
Has anyone changed the TS-877 CPU from Ryzen 5 1600 to Ryzen 7 1700?
Any suggestions? Can there be power failure problems?
I'm thinking about changing it and I'd like your opinion :)
Bigger issue to consider, changing CPU will almost 100% guaranteed void your QNAP warranty.

Also if you look at the passmarks #'s, you will only get about a 10-15% performance improvement since the 6-cores in the R5-1600 are clocked higher than the 8-cores in the R7-1700.

So for single threaded applications, you actually would be taking a performance hit due to lower clock speed. In multi-threaded applications, you will gain in total performance due to the extra cores but on a per core basis you will be slightly lower.
Paul

Return to “Users' Corner”