QWA-AC2600 review by Moogle

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: QWA-AC2600 review by Moogle

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

afterdinnerspeaker wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:33 pm ...
the video is ready
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR4pINts9J4

there should be instructions there to supplement the basic configuration for the wireless adapter.

anyway the way it was explained.

1. if adapter 1 and wireless ap is together on the same virtual switch, then they are bridged and use a single lan ip. also... you can use the same vpn.

2. if you want to use the NAS as a standalone wireless, then they suggested to create a separate virtual switch from the ethernet adapter.

did i get this right?
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
afterdinnerspeaker
Starting out

Post by afterdinnerspeaker »

Ha Ha Moogle...and you're asking me? Lol.

Yes, I watched the English version a couple of hours ago and now I'm ready to watch it again to see what I may have missed!

Usually takes a couple of times as language accents pose a problem. Wish there were subtitles.

Talk soon,

Jerry
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

afterdinnerspeaker wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:26 am ...
just asking out loud in case anyone has a correction in case i got it wrong :}

well it's in english. but yes there is also subs. click the sub icon in the youtube. browse over the icon and it will say subtitles. click that :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
afterdinnerspeaker
Starting out

Hey, thanks for that Moogle!

I didn't even bother trying before but now I will use the "captions"... :D

Cheers!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

afterdinnerspeaker wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:06 am ...
bonus tip. even if audio is in a foreign tongue, the captains may be able to translate to english :mrgreen:
NAS

Network

Resources
afterdinnerspeaker
Starting out

Thanks Moogle!

Just had a little (big) problem...my fault!!

Everything we set up yesterday was working so well so I decided I'd change the names & passwords of the two virtual wireless networks we set up (test 1 & test 2).

Here's where I made a big mistake...I inadvertently forgot to plug the Ethernet cable back in before I made the changes. I just don't know how I forgot especially since you warned me about plugging the Ethernet cable before making changes.

Result, I can no longer reach my NAS... :ashamed: :oops: :cry:

So sorry to bother you again,

Jerry
afterdinnerspeaker
Starting out

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:38 pm
Sorry Moogle...I forgot to reply with quote!
Last edited by afterdinnerspeaker on Wed May 01, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

afterdinnerspeaker wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:15 pm ...

hop on discord :) send me a pm
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

afterdinnerspeaker wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:01 pm Thanks Moogle!

Just had a little (big) problem...my fault!!

Everything we set up yesterday was working so well so I decided I'd change the names & passwords of the two virtual wireless networks we set up (test 1 & test 2).

Here's where I made a big mistake...I inadvertently forgot to plug the Ethernet cable back in before I made the changes. I just don't know how I forgot especially since you warned me about plugging the Ethernet cable before making changes.

Result, I can no longer reach my NAS... :ashamed: :oops: :cry:

So sorry to bother you again,

Jerry
well according to the youtube,

if you setup the virtual switch so that the ethernet adapter and the wireless adapter are both using the same virtual switch, then the benefit is that they are bridged. meaning that one example, if you are using VPN for the NAS, then the wireless connection will also have a vpn. They did a demo showing that in the youtube.

However the downside of this setup is, if you decide to make your NAS standalone, like unplugging the ethernet wire, and using it strictly wireless via the wireless adaprer (using wireless apstation), then it may not work. So for this strictly wireless access with no ethernet wires to the NAS, you would need to setup the virtual switch for the wireless adapter to be separate from that of your ethernet adapter. It's also explained in the youtube.

Anyway, even if you pulled the ethernet and it no longer allowed access to the NAS, it should work again once you plug back the ethernet wire. or at least i think that worked for me before.

But if it didn't, try rebooting (make sure wired is connected first).
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

ok we figured out the issue kinda.

for some reason the qnap became inaccessible. so we rebooted pc, router and QNAP. we also tried reset NAS 1 beep only.

one or a combination of these eventually restored access to the NAS.

then in notifications it looked like virtual switch may have bugged out somehow?

anyway, we reconfigured the virtual switch, and hoping the wireless now works.... (without further issue *faint)

so moral of the story, when configuring the wireless setting, always do that wired, and don't attempt to do it from wireless (removing the wired). bad things will happen. once settings all done and saved, only then you can remove wired.
NAS

Network

Resources
afterdinnerspeaker
Starting out

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:45 pm ...
Very good advise Moogle...I learned the hard way!!

Thank you so much again,

Jerry :D
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

afterdinnerspeaker wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:27 pm ..
just wondering, but did you setup raid scrub and smart test scheduling on your QNAP :' ?

it's unrelated to anything wireless, but thought i'd ask since your new to this.
NAS

Network

Resources
afterdinnerspeaker
Starting out

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:59 pm ..
Hi there Moogle!

Once again, thank you so much for the heads up on this issue...I certainly had no idea about raid scrub and smart test scheduling...none!!

Since your post, I "googled" the subject and hopefully I made the correct choices in settings.

Please suggest any changes you might recommend regarding what I did as I only went by the information suggested on the videos, etc.
Raid Scrubbing Schedule.jpg
Disk Health.jpg
Thank you in advance Moogle and I hope you're having a good day,

Jerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

afterdinnerspeaker wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:34 am
Please suggest any changes you might recommend regarding what I did as I only went by the information suggested on the videos, etc.
RAID Scrubbing is used to verify the data integrity of disk groups with RAID 5 and RAID 6 configurations. It works by running a redundancy check to detect and correct inconsistencies that are undetectable during routine usage. Periodically running RAID Scrubbing can detect potential corrupted data or disks at an early stage, giving your NAS the chance to attempt automatic repairs or to report disk-related issues, helping to ensure the integrity of user data and disk groups.

RAID Scrubbing runs in the background with minor performance impact (depending on storage space sizes). QNAP recommends running RAID Scrubbing weekly or monthly, according to access frequencies of data stored in the NAS. Users can configure RAID Scrubbing settings in "Storage Manager" > "Global Setting" > "Data Scrubbing".

To learn more about RAID Scrubbing, please check:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_scrubbing
https://serverfault.com/questions/58821 ... ub-my-raid

i'm sure other people have their own recommendations, but mine is the following

once a month - raid scrub

short smart test - weekly

long smart test - monthly

during a raid scrub, your NAS performance will be very slow..... i don't recommend doing much writes (e.g. copy/cut paste moving files around in the NAS during a raid scrub.) but i reckon read should be fine (e.g. i can watch a movie during the process). Buffering is slow, but i can still watch a movie without issue.

But ideally you would schedule the raid scrub during sleep hours when you don't actually use the NAS, so the slow performance during the process won't really impact you. I think a 4x4tb raid5 array raid scrub is roughly 6-8 hours or so?

the smart tests check that your hdds are not dying. it's good to know the health status of your drive and get an early heads up if their dying soon. In one example, i had a smart test show an issue. I didn't want to believe it, thinking it was a faulty reading since the hdd seemed to be working fine. but few months later the hdd dropped out of raid on it's own (problems started to appear). smart test is not 100% accurate but it's the best we got. Seagate has ironwolf health management which they claim is a more accurate smart test, but i don't know if thats true or not.

so i set raid scrub on like the 3rd day of the month, and the long smart test on the 1st day of the month. so there is sufficient time between the 2 scheduled processes running (meaning that by the time one scheduled task has finished, it will never coincide with the next scheduled task to run). I do not recommend scheduling raid scrubs and smart test to occur or coincide at the same time. Keep in mind raid scrub is 6-8 hours ish..... etc. long smart test should roughly also take about that much time or less.

the raid scrub will apply to all hdds. whereas the smart test you need to configure for EACH of the hdds. I think it's ok for all the hdds to run the smart test same time.
NAS

Network

Resources
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:18 am i'm sure other people have their own recommendations, but mine is the following

once a month - raid scrub

short smart test - weekly

long smart test - monthly
My recommendation is to schedule tasks automaticly like this:
Short SMART tests - daily
Long SMART tests - weekly
RAID scrubbing - monthly or bi-monthly (by scheduling scrubbing on the 31st it becomes almost bi-monthly)

Also it's important to make sure that notifications are enabled and working in the NAS to get notified about any issues during testing as soon as possible.
during a raid scrub, your NAS performance will be very slow..... i don't recommend doing much writes (e.g. copy/cut paste moving files around in the NAS during a raid scrub.) but i reckon read should be fine (e.g. i can watch a movie during the process). Buffering is slow, but i can still watch a movie without issue.
I don't understand why there would be any significant differences between read or write. The main problem with accessing the disks during a RAID scrub is that the disk read/write head will have to move back and forth between where it's working with the scrub and where the data you access is located. The more concurrent disk access you have (read or write), the slower everything will be as the heads will be hunting back and forward between it's different tasks.
But ideally you would schedule the raid scrub during sleep hours when you don't actually use the NAS, so the slow performance during the process won't really impact you.
Absolutely, start it as early as possible when there's a known non/low usage period for the NAS. Sometimes that may not be enough but at least that's the best we can do to get as much as possible done when it affects us the least.

Also as the RAID scrub priority can manually be changed on the fly, it's clever to prioritize scrubbing (Resync First, High Speed) when there's no other usage to speed it up as much as possible during those hours and then tune it down (Service First, Low Speed) if other usage is necessary to increase the responsiveness to the user.
RAID_sync_prio.jpg
I do not recommend scheduling raid scrubs and smart test to occur or coincide at the same time.
I've never experienced any problems with having them running concurrently. The SMART testing probably have a very low priority in the disks to affect usage by the host system as little as possible.
I think it's ok for all the hdds to run the smart test same time.
It definitely is. I've been doing that for the last 10 years. I prefer to space their starting time a few minutes though as that will keep them nicely lined up in sequential order to make the system logs more easily readable. It's important to remember to schedule the short test with a sufficient earlier starting time (like 10-15 minutes earlier) to make sure it will have finished at the long SMART Test start as otherwise that won't be able to start.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Users' Corner”