PXE, how to make it work?

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Maarten1986
Starting out

PXE, how to make it work?

Post by Maarten1986 »

Hello,

I know its not really a qnap thing, but I'm wondering how i can boot some iso/OS (like Ubuntu, debian, dban, Windows, ...) over network.
I've followd a lot of complex tutorials, without any results.
I've also tried the one on this forum, without any succes.

Its the first time Ill trie this, but I'm searching more than 30hours for a solution...

Is there any easy solution, step-by-step for this?

I already tried youtube, this forum, Serva, ... But it looks like there is no clear manual. (the most thins i read "looks like" put it on the shared tftp folder and it works).
dolbyman
Guru

Re: PXE, how to make it work?

Post by dolbyman »

why not run pxe on docker?

e.g.
https://github.com/ferrarimarco/docker-pxe
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

You can run DNSMASQ as it supports PXE boots.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Avrution
Starting out

Post by Avrution »

Sorry to necro an old topic, but did you ever have success with this? I also tried the method listed on the other page, but could never get beyond "Error 8 at Client, User aborted the transfer"

Since enabling DHCP usually killed my network connection on the Q I also tried with my router acting as the forwarder that pointed to the Q - still no luck.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *

@Avrution, please create a new topic for your question.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Users' Corner”