Continuing the QTS 4.4.1 review, now that it has been OFFICIALLY released as stable.
THAT SAID..... i noticed a user already reported random reboots on their TS-251B (same like when they were testing the beta)
I myself haven't YET experienced this (i did in the first beta with a ts-877. But not on stable build just yet)... but i would treat this QTS cautiously at least for the first month since it's released.
... so anyway, what i wanted to continue where i left of was the Qumagie. Any changes?
I listed some that may be new, or i just noticed
1. you have a download original option. i believe previously it was download a large thumbnail which didn't make sense to me. glad there is a download original option
2. you can merge pictures into persons. this process is quite simple though i would suggest users spend a couple of minutes to familiarize with the check boxes, options for handling stuff in qumagie.
3. naming persons seem easy. same as above.
4. there is an option to say "i don't know this person", i assume this means to remove it from the current person label but not specify a name just yet for this person? (it should then look like the rest of the YET to be named persons clutter) if so that is great option to have. Cause i too want to set aside someone i know not this person, but i have not yet identified to name this person just yet, so this option is very useful.
5. there is an option to say "this is not a face". This is for the misidentified pictures that serve no purpose, so this option is definitely needed for cases like those.
6. performance when surfing pictures seems very smooth and bouncy? (is that the right term. it feels like they pop out comfortably upon viewing a pic when it's loading). There is some slight delay for blurry thumbnails to show, before crisper ones replace them (not much of a problem, and probably helps with browsing performance so it's fine).
1. if a picture got focused not on a face, but there is a person in the picture, but you merely need to adjust the box to cover the face, you cannot make that adjustment. In the old facial tagging, we had boxes where the faces were detected which you could toggle to view or not, and adjust those boxes manually, or to create new boxes. They removed that in Qumagie to make it less smarter. This to me is the major downside for Qumagie. It was a really neat feature to have.
There are a few problems because of a lack of this feature
(a) if a picture icon does not point to the face, you cannot make an adjustment. You either use it still or you label it as not a person. There doesn't seem to be an option to later manually add this picture again ever since Qumagie couldn't properly manage it.
(b) if a picture has multiple persons in it, and you are viewing in the album, so you don't see the pictures icon to know who is being detected in this picture (because there are false positives at times fyi), how to you know who to label it for? Just try it yourself, you will understand what i'm talking about.
This is just one example of for the difficulty with qumagie
this icon selection makes no sense. to make sense whats this picture you go inside to check it out
Then you see 2 persons
So i already know these 2 characters and want to move them to their persons labels separately. The issue though
1. how do i EDIT the icon selection for the picture to go on her face correctly?
2. How do i VIEW or Edit the icon facial detection box? they removed it.....
3. how do i know the winged lady's picture has the facial icon on her face? (you cannot just assume. Just look at the first screenshot as an example why....) there is no facial detection box to confirm this, nor any icons either (because she is not the front cover for this album)
see.... there is a lot of issues with users trying to cope when Qumagie is not really offering the user the solutions required to manage this app properly.
2. in persons, you get icons of people to begin labelling. I noticed that as i am labelling people, there are new person icons appearing. It feels like that these icons are not fully displayed in persons. Yet when i scrolled right to the very bottom it already reaches the end, and there is no loading for more persons. So could this be a bug? why else then after i finish naming/identifying a person/persons, that new icons start appearing? They should just display all persons icons immediately
3. i am not sure that Qumagie is utilizing nvidia graphics card to acceleration facial detection or not. based on resource monitor for GPU usage during the AI detection indexing process which showed gpu use at 0%
1. pictures added for persons that look nothing alike (the usual misidentification every now and then)
2. selecting pictures and moving to a different person or saying i don't know this person, doesn't seem to work at times or at all.
The idea and intended usage for Qumagie is a good one. But it still doesn't feel stable enough for actual use.
there is a lot of issues with users trying to cope when Qumagie is not really offering the user the solutions required to manage this app properly.
Has there been some improvement? yes but still a lot to do imho.
//note: i will later point this out to helpdesk when i am free. So yes i haven't forgotten that qnap doesn't go here officially to troubleshoot. I'm just pointing these issues out to other users so you too can complain to QNAP about it