TS-251A gets bogged down often

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
tekn4god
New here

TS-251A gets bogged down often

Post by tekn4god »

Model: TS-251A
Firmware: 4.4.2.1270 (2020/04/10)
RAM: 8GB
Drives: 2 - 3TB Western Digital WD30ERFX in a RAID1 configuration.
Apologies if this is not sufficient information. I am happy to provide more, just let me know what is needed.

Hello All!

I recently installed the above firmware as I had been having severe lagging issues with the previous firmware - I believe this was a known issue with the previous firmware. Unfortunately, I am still seeing the same issues.

The system will completely bog down, making network use impossible, background processes such as SMART checking and backups stand still, and logging in via the web interface takes forever. When this happens the only way I've been able to reboot is by SSHing in and executing "kill 1". Even this takes quite a bit of time, but nothing else seems to work.

I have had this unit for 2 or 3 years, factory-resetting it once in the past due to a networking issue (QNAP changed the way virtual adapters worked in a firmware update IIRC). I would really like to avoid resetting it again as I really don't have the time to rebuild everything. I'm hopeful that someone else has figured out what's happening and how to fix it.

Thanks!
Jon
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-251A gets bogged down often

Post by dolbyman »

what is the process that slows it down ?
tekn4god
New here

Post by tekn4god »

I'm not sure. Any idea how to figure it out?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

'top' via ssh would show processes sorted by cpu usage
tekn4god
New here

Post by tekn4god »

Yes, I will check that the next time it happens and post here. Thank you.

Return to “Users' Corner”