[HOW TO] Recover no beep / dead Intel based Qnap x53/x51 (2014~2016?)

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
larryebaum
Starting out

Re: [How To] Recover no beep / dead Intel based Qnap x53/x51 (2014~2016?)

Post by larryebaum »

My T-453be died. Just a red led on front and lit network ports. No fan. No signs of life. Prior to this unit I had a T-251 that died I think the same way (but before this thread started). I ordered a returnable T-451D2 as means to quickly try to recover data from disks and use if resistor trick doesn’t succeed, but after reading more this seems like a model that will also die and better off avoided. Any suggestions for QNAP 4 bay models that are comparable price/features, that I could just migrate disks to? My alternative may just be to setup old Mac Mini with RAID disks cabinet (and load Plex,etc).
larryebaum
Starting out

Post by larryebaum »

I’ve been messaging with QNAP support on the above and their latest reply follows. Does anyone have any info that discredits this? I”d love to point them to a specific customer/support ticket. My preference is to just replace failed unit with new, but don’t want to have a 3rd unit die at 2.5 years old. My alternate plan is to simply build Plex/Server using Mac Mini and RAID 5 storage cabinet (most cost, but likely more stable long term.

From Support:
I've brought this up to my senior and he looked at the forum post. He said the issue is relating to old 51/51+/53Pro series and not the x53Be as they use a different MB/CPU. It is not the same issue. The newer model x51 model NASes should not have this issue.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

here is an article from wikichip outlining the LPC issue on Apollo Lake (Celeron J3455)

https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/2649/int ... ty-issues/
Nounours18200
Starting out

Post by Nounours18200 »

Do we need 1/4w or 1/2w?
There is very very small current (a few mA at max) flowing throught this resistor, so 1/4W is largely enough. You can also use 1/2W with no risk at all.

Code: Select all

Does the color matter? 
NO
Use Metal film resistor preferabily, but it is not a "critical" location, so this is not important.
Bonus points for link.
Here are some links, but remember that ANY 100 ohm resistor, 1/8W, 1/4W or 1/2W will be OK.
Choose the seller depending on the country you live (Europe ?, USA ?,...)
Some persons say that you can increase the resistor value up to 430 ohms in order to decrease the current (and therefore increase the working life of the "repaired" QNAP after this fix), but I have not yet tested it .

https://www.amazon.fr/20x-Résistance-Fi ... B07F177GCL
https://www.amazon.com/Tnisesm-Resistor ... B08BYK5FXN

What about connectors for those who don’t want to solder?
The simplest connector to use is a one pin DUPONT connector, like this one:
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32717763865.html
sold with the metallic insert.

Of course you need 2 Dupont connectors: one for each resistor leg.

It is not mandatory to solder the resistor to his metallic insert, it can be crimped: but you need a crimp tool (having a 1.6mm crimp size) to achieve that properly...

An alternative is to use a 2,54mm jumper like this one:
you should insert the resistor pin on the top of the jumper, and the other side of the jumper onto the QNAP connector: I am not 100% sure but this should established an "acceptable" contact without soldering.

Of course you 2 jumpers: one for each resistor leg.

In both cases, Keep the resistor legs short, and take care to not establish any contact with the non appropriate pins of the QNAP connector.

P.S.: if you live in Europe, send me a Private Message indicating your country.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

This forum has no private messages anymore
Nounours18200
Starting out

Post by Nounours18200 »

This forum has no private messages anymore
not lucky !....

If larryebaum resides somewhere in Europe, I planned to post him a "ready to install resistor" witht he Dupont connectors already crimped, to help him (he will not have to solder anything)...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I know .. I have proposed these connector wires already several times in this thread and others dealing with this issue

e.g.
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=135089&p=797437
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=159836&p=781346
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=160923&p=787428
JediNite
New here

Post by JediNite »

Going to join the "me-to" list of dead QNAP units. I have a TS-453Be, which died about a week ago. When I first saw it, it had a solid red STATUS LED and nothing else. I rebooted it and on the reboot, the status LED started solid and then changed to red flashing and did nothing else. Removing the drives made no difference. I tried doign the 100 ohm resistor trick mentioned in this article using the dupont connects and jumpering across pin 1 and 8 as suggested but this did not make any difference to the system. I also tried across 1 and 6 as well as I saw some mention that as well.

I then tried to mount the drives direct in a Linux box and was able to see the RAID itself but not able to mount the Volume Group after this. Anyone else got any ideas as the thought of buying a QNAP at the moment really feels like throwing good money after bad. The unit was just on 3 years old.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

buying a QNAP at the moment really feels like throwing good money after bad.
Remember that the underlying cause is a design weakness in the specific Intel CPU that causes it to degrade over time.
It's not just QNAP devices that have suffered from this same failure mode with this CPU.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Nounours18200
Starting out

Post by Nounours18200 »

buying a QNAP at the moment really feels like throwing good money after bad.
I agree with AlastairStevenson: the problem is not due to QNAP but to an Intel default in the design of the CPU.

ALL the devices that use the same CPU have the same problem in the long run, and if we focus on the NAS, there are SYNOLOGY NAS having exactly the same issue.

Luckily we have this fix...it is not perfect but better than nothing !
JediNite
New here

Post by JediNite »

Thanks guys. I did try the fix but it made no difference. Should I try a different size resistor to 100 ohm ? Happy to take any suggestions at the moment.
Nounours18200
Starting out

Post by Nounours18200 »

I have read that in some rare cases, you should install a resistor between 2 other pins of the connector.
This is because (sometimes) it is the other FET junction that becomes faulty, instead of the usual one.

But I do not remind what the pins are : you should read or watch a few YouTube videos to find a passage where this other fix is described.
If I find it I will let you know of course.

The last possibility is that the device cannot be repaired: this fix is just a fix but the device is supposed to die in the long run: maybe yours is more affected than the others and died before.

But I would not assume this until you have tried the other fix...
JediNite
New here

Post by JediNite »

Nounours18200 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:10 pm But I do not remind what the pins are : you should read or watch a few YouTube videos to find a passage where this other fix is described.
If I find it I will let you know of course.
I think the pairs of pins I have seen mentioned is 1 and 8 and the other combo being 1 and 6. I have tried the 100 ohm resistor between both sets of pins with the result being the same. I have a multimeter at home that I can use for testing stuff (not as good as a full scope, so if someone has advise on what I can check with the multimeter, I can do that.
Nounours18200
Starting out

Post by Nounours18200 »

I have tried the 100 ohm resistor between both sets of pins with the result being the same.
This is not a good news... The resistor fix is efficient only if the the FET is not completely died, i.e. when only a part of it is defective.

But in some cases it is totally dead and therefore there is no possible fix at all, except to change the CPU, or to implement an external clock which would require a PCB modification (I have not studied deep enough this question but the expert who first found the resistor fix told that it could be possible but it would require to cut some PCB tracks and a few soldering).

Changing the CPU is not simpler : it would require strong desoldering/soldering experience...

So honestly, I am afraid that your device is dead...
VKNAS
Getting the hang of things

Post by VKNAS »

Hi All,

The information on here regarding the LPC clock fix worked well, however for my TS-451+ I had to run from clock to pin 6 which was a 3v3. Ran a full system clean-up, file indexing and Raid Scrub. I have been able to access all data, apps and functionality from a 3 disk Raid 5 set-up. I have noticed that my Qnap takes long (around 15min to boot up now) and my front light panel stills looks like a Christmas Tree. Has anyone else had this happen, or is there something I'm supposed to do for light status to retuen to normal?

Status Light - only green when unit switched off
LAN - Orange - Flashes randomly every 2 or 3 seconds
USB - Blue - Permanently on
HHD 1to 4 - Permanently Red

Everything else seems to be functioning fine for now.

Return to “Users' Corner”