[HOW TO] Recover no beep / dead Intel based Qnap x53/x51 (2014~2016?)

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Nounours18200
Starting out

Re: [How To] Recover no beep / dead Intel based Qnap x53/x51 (2014~2016?)

Post by Nounours18200 »

Congratualtions ! you are a one more man saved by this tip !

It is a shame than QNAP nor SYNOLOGY had suggested this solution (even we a no warranty warning), because they perfectly know this solution !
So eventually soldered it in, and voila, everything back to normal.
I strongly recommend you to solder the resistor: this will be a more reliable approach in the long term; however if you don't know how to solder and if the QNAP works, you can live like this...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I would shorten the resistor legs .. or at least put down some Kapton tape, so you do not cause shorts on that RAM

I don't think there is any company that would endorse or even help with these kinds of repairs, there is probably liability involved.
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

This is what the Americans call "Built in Obsolescence!"
They teach this at the universities over there: How to design a product so that it fails shortly after end of warranty period.
HP was caught red-handed doing the exact same thing with their printers a few years back.
Western Digital did it with their WD Red NAS disks.

The Taiwanese has learned this too 😄
They think it is good for business.
ImageImageImage
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The HP ink printer sponges? .. yes

The WD SMR debacle? .. no, that was not planned obsolescence, it was incompetence (probably accounting/marketing overruling technical departments)
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

The Taiwanese has learned this too 😄
They think it is good for business.
You do realise that the cause is a design weakness in the Intel CPU, the failure being due to electromigration as a consequence of excessive current density?
Many other designs that used the same Intel CPU have the same early failure problem.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Nounours18200
Starting out

Post by Nounours18200 »

Many other designs that used the same Intel CPU have the same early failure problem.
True, and Intel had recognized the problem and simultaneaously said that there was no fix for it.

The manufacturers had been informed by INTEL (I have seen the technical paper by I do not remember the exact name) about this failure, and some people said that QNAP, SYNOLOLGY and probably a lot others, have continue to sell their product while knowing this issue.

If it is true, the accounting/marketing departments have proven that they don't care about their clients....

More generally (out of this specific case) I agree with you when you say "probably accounting/marketing overruling technical departments": this is the cancer of our modern economy...
ralse
New here

Post by ralse »

My TS-251 was facing boot issue about a week ago.
Only Status LED is solid green and the others are off when plug the power.
The power button does not response, there is no beep and the fan does not start.

The LPC pin 1 has 23 mA measured using a multimeter.
Using a resistor to pull up or down LPC pin did not solve my problem and also re-program the SPI flash, but still no luck.
The manufacturer told me to buy a new product from their store...

So is my TS-251's CPU completely toasted?
Nounours18200
Starting out

Post by Nounours18200 »

So is my TS-251's CPU completely toasted?
It could be... but I have read that there are 2 possible issues:
-the first and far most common one, can be fixed with a 100 ohms resistor as described
-the second one is less common and can also be fixed with a resistor, but I do not remind the detail: you have to solder a resistor between other pins, because it is another FET that is faulty, as fas as I remember,

I recommend you to read the posts related to this subject, as well as the youtube videos: this other issue is described somewhere, with the way to fix it.

If your problem comes from this 2nd issue, it can be fixed easily, if not then I am afraid that your NAS is dead...
georgusclowney
First post

Post by georgusclowney »

Hi folks,
Qnap 451+ (purchased 2017) died last night with the known symptoms: FAN runs max, not accessible via network, 4 red HDD LED, blue LED after trial to reboot.
I have read alot about that clock issue to learn its not only the qnap affected. Tomorrow i will pick up resistors to try to get it back to run, 4TB HD vids, Music and backups on the drives and now not accessible.
Questions:
Only option to get the drives back running is the "same system" meanining i try to get another 451 migrate the drives, backup whats letting me and then dump the "faulty" and the "new" 451 as such things I wont have in my network with such onboard failures. ?! Is their another way to get the raid hard drives running?

What would be a suitable alternative? I know its a qnap forum, however if a lot of affordable qnaps got the same issue, and maybe the synology as well: what else I can buy to avoid another breakdown after "just" 4.5 years?

Your input and help is very appriciated.
Thanks in advance

best wishes from down under, Melbourne
George
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You can migrate to a migration compatible model

https://www.qnap.com/en/nas-migration

and as always ..external backups...the only way to prevent dataloss in the future..(a raid is not a backup)
Nounours18200
Starting out

Post by Nounours18200 »

@georgusclowney:
You have to try the "100 ohms resistor fix" as described above: in 95% of the cases this fix solves the problem and the the NAS is back to life.

You can see my video "Fix the Boot problem on QNAP TS-x51 and TS-x53 NAS" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNKN55SFYos

and the wiring diagram for installing the resistor easily is provided in the comments of the video, and can be freely downloaded (no registration required) from my website: https://www.threshold-lovers.com/downlo ... -everyone/

This is the very first fix to try, because it solves the issue most of the time.
ameer
Starting out

Post by ameer »

Fixed it using nsr connector cable.
But in my model of TS-251, I have to cut the upper part of the connector plastic + bent the metal part because of the pins location.

toywlf
First post

Post by toywlf »

Just another BIG thanks to yujungchang !!! I was able to recover my TS-451+ ... It was a moment of joy when I saw that there were four lights (Captain Picard & the Cardassian) instead of, well, you know. Fortunately, I take regular backups, so it wasn't the biggest disaster if not recovered, but, this has saved me many, many hours of reconstruction. And don't worry, I've already ordered and received a new NAS. After another full backup, I'm brining the other one online and setting this one out to pasture. Oh, by the way, I used a solderless solution as well. Mine involved simple pin jumpers and a piece of electrical tape to avoid accidental contact between the resistor legs and other pins.
20210827_182805.jpg
Thanks, again!
R.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

toywlf wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:42 am It was a moment of joy when I saw that there were four lights (Captain Picard & the Cardassian) instead of, well, you know.
I reckon George Orwell would have liked that episode. :DD

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
larryebaum
Starting out

Post by larryebaum »

Plenty of 100 ohm resistors on Amazon. Do we need 1/4w or 1/2w? Does the color matter? Bonus points for link. What about connectors for those who don’t want to solder?

Return to “Users' Corner”