Probably my last QNAP...

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Re: Probably my last QNAP...

Post by kherr4377 »

I'm done buying ANY pre-made NAS ..... more flexibility, totally better logistics/value in "rolling your own" and using the likes of TrueNAS.

In the event of hardware failure .... replace the part on the affordable and be up and running in a couple of days instead of sending the box back to Qnap and waiting 3 weeks. Your data is tied to a software package ...... it doesn't care about hardware like having to BUY another Qnap just to get your data back.

Want to upgrade to the latest/greatest .... your only concern is your motherboard, not worrying if Q's BIOS will support it and not having to jump through hoops and hope your memory will work. Make it as powerful as you need and be able to deal with it if you need more HP later. No soldered in chips and EVERYTHING on one board ......
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
pinkytwister
New here

Post by pinkytwister »

It's a waste of time.
Probably my last qnap...

I bought my first NAS in 2013 (TS-451) MAX RAM 8 GB and I was a huge fan of the features and ease of use! Back then updates were fairly regular for the apps and the overall GUI interfaces had very few patches and updates. I could run VM's and all the other QNAP features without a hiccup. It was a wonderful time in my relationship with QNAP! I continued to have this love affair with QNAP and told many friends how this product is what every home users need to backup files and personal data at home! However, in the last 2 years or so my QNAP has begun to slow and have issues. I removed ALL the unnecessary apps and tried to streamline how I used my NAS. I still struggled with performance with my NAS CPU and memory. I feel it might be tied to the newer GUI interface, the QuMagie, multimedia management, enabling scanning and indexing with Qsirch and the introduction of help center and notification center, and of course everyone's favorite licensing center app! All of which I disabled, uninstalled or turned off to make my NAS function.

So I bought a new QNAP NAS (TS-253D) as a new front-end NAS with hopes of the higher 4 core processor and the new system could handle basic functions better and use my older NAS for additional storage.

However, I am seeing the exact same issues with a slow GUI interface (directly connecting on the same network) and high memory and CPU usage which the GUI struggles to render and be useful on basic opening of items in the console.

I am very disappointed and wondering if I should just jump ship and go another route? Perhaps Synology or does that platform share in the same kind of issues?

I agree with the original poster, in that I am starting to feel the same

It's a waste of time.
Probably my last qnap...
Happy NAS Day!

Model: TS-253D FW: 4.5.1.1.X
Disks: 2 x 3TB WDC REDs
RAM: 4 GB
UPS: APC 650MC
qVPN /w PIA , PLEX, photo file share.

Model: TS-451 FW: 4.5.1.1.X
Disks: 4 x 3TB Seagate IronWolf
RAM: 8 GB
UPS: APC 650MC
Backup & Test NAS

Cold Cloud Storage: BackBlaze Backup Sync
jaysona
Been there, done that

Post by jaysona »

A Celeron, is a Celeron, is a Celeron. I have a couple of J1900 based QNAPs, they're fine for storage (use one as a seedbox), but I would never dream of running a VM on the J1900 based system - those CPUs are anemic at best. I have noticed that 4Gig of RAM made those system barely usable, 8Gig of RAM was the minimum req'd to make them usable and not feel like Molasses flowing down a hill in winter.

Synology does have a different UI, but all their units are Celeron based as well, but their DSM operating environment does not appear to have as much bloatware enabled by default like QTS does.

I think an ideal world would be running Synology DSM on QNAP hardware. :DD
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-871 (i7-4790. 16GB) (Plex server) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6604T (8GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
StardustOne
Know my way around

Post by StardustOne »

Since I have used Qnap products now over a decade, I am finally at the point where I totally agree why users consider switchichng to other backup solutions.

Not only is Qnap a very complex infrastrucutre, it is also dead slow and barely acceptable as a backup solution for the masses, I am frustrated about waiting messages, about the 10 to 15 minutes boot time of my 431+, about the illogical concept of you need to allow the admin that is not an admin to access the USB device that has been plugged in, about the illogical concept of the home and the homes shares, about the inconsistent menus and very awkward functionality and structure of the complex menu systems.

Nothing makes much sense to me, but everything is possible, I understand why people like to have the option to tweak everything, but I also understand why people do not want to cope anymore with this strange and weird concept.

I have tested out the other vendor, I now understand what it means to have hardware, that boots fast in 3 to 5 minutes, that works reliable outside of the QNAP universe. And yes even though I recently bought an 2nd 431+ and also a 231P2, I maybe also am finally there where I can say, maybe my last QNAP. It is not worth to waste my time to find a way around illogical concepts. I wasted so much time to synchronize data, to do backups the right way, to make things more secure. And yes I am tired of fine tuning what should be made secure out of the box, I strive for easy and Mac like functionality without having to first lookup forum posts to understand how I have to bend myself to the concepts that the QNAP engineering departments have thought of the whay how things need to work.

Are they on the right path? I have a doubt and it seems that I am not alone. QNAP did not adapt to user friendliness over all those years, they went the path of to allow the user to tweak things you want it to be, but I do not have the time nor the knowledge to adapt to this lifestyle.

Maybe it is my last QNAP too, but before I can do a switch I need to bring my backup in order so that I am ready to take the risk.
cdxp01
New here

Post by cdxp01 »

+1 Having spent a couple of weeks recovering from a failure I wouldnt recomend Qnap to anyone for home use. The grim and toxic nature of this support forum doesnt help the Qnap cause. At least 2/3 of the responses could be culled without any loss of useful information and nearly all the guides while they have useful information in them need updating.
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

I have been using QNAP devices for about 8 years now and overall I still am very happy with my devices.
I do agree with the feedback here. My message to QNAP would be stop installing crap by default. Make the core is lean and tight and provide all the features as application that’s wrong can install and run as needed. They still could advertise all of the bells and whistles for sales and marketing and give us far more control.
I don’t want to go into the OS and figure out how to stop / kill stuff I don’t use.
I install apps I use / need and most of them I disable when I am not using them.
The core is should run the NAS, handle the core network and file system and nothing else. Make everything else a installable app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Ahh...another one that wants to shoot their NAS ...50. cal..*pew pew*..'Murica
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

asm1400 wrote:I have owned several QNAP units over the years, and it ain't like it use to be. I decided no more QNAP for me back in 2020. I was just fed up with the same old responses for problems. back up you data, clear this and that and reload and pull back your data. Useless and rarely solved the issue. I think of the wasted days with their product. One year I decided, I wanted my drives to be encrypted, but that process wipes all the data. FW updates take way, way too long and only get worse. Last time I did it 45 for shutdown, startup, update and restart. I don't run much in the way of services and such, but takes forever before you can use the NAS. I timed, reboot, cold start between the QNAP and my ASUSTOR NAS. The ASUSTOR was up and ready to use in 1min 58sec on average. The QNAP took 8mins 47sec on average. My TS-873 is still updating to the latest Hybrid Backup Sync, and it has been 45 mins. already.

There are sever memory leaks in the system. Once a week when I check in on the units, I see the RAM available drops to 4xx MB and I have to run QBoost to get back to 4.8x GB of free RAM. HBS 3 has become such a resource pig, it not even funny. Last week it took over 20 minutes from when I entered my name and password before I saw the UI and it was unresponsive. I started a restart and 25 minutes later it was still shutting down services and had the same long list showing. Hour later, the same thing and forced a shutdown by holding the power button. HybridMount has also been causing issues on this unit. All the bloatware on them as well. Having to remove Helpdesk app after every new fw update and so many apps that you can't that many others and myself do not need. Very sad, a once really good product has become a large paperweight(expensive one, at that).

I am in the process of building a TrueNAS setup. I am only waiting for some 12TB to populate the 16bay chassis. The QNAPs will be the backup system, until I can afford to build another TrueNAS system. I wish I had more ASUSTOR NAS units, they don't have the troubles of the QNAP.

When all is done, take the QNAP units to the range and fire some 50cal ammunition into them. Some great stress relief.

HBS is still updating.

Bye
I wonder how your NAS is setup or configured as none of my systems perform like yours. Every task is within what I would expect a pc of the same specs to run and overall my devices run rock solid.
Only problems I have are usually of my own making.
I am not defending QNAP as there are several things I don’t like, but quality of the hardware and stability of the NAS OS and such is great. I have one NAS that runs 9 VMs like a champ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

asm1400 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:44 pm I was looking into maybe running TrueNAS on them, but when I saw that the OS was on a USB key, no way.
You can rewrite or replace the DOM onboard ...alternatively, there are USB keys that are tiny
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You can get USB sticks with high endurance as well

Or USB microSD adapters (barely larger than a microSD card) and a HE mSD

and there is also large USB DOMs
https://www.flexxon.com/product/industr ... dom-fxace/
StardustOne
Know my way around

Post by StardustOne »

Without putting too much emotion in, I have this TS-431+ since it was released, and I also see a huge issue with the boot time. To shut down it takes about 6 to 8 minutes and 8 to 11 minutes it takes to reboot. I have disabled now Multimedia Console (it was my Media Center and Backup NAS before). Since I did follow advice how to make it more secure, I have added QuFirewall, QVPN Service, Malware Remover Antvirus and the Security Counselor.

This TS-431+ is basically not doing much, but every day or two it becomes irresponsive and I need to boot it. I have a TS-231P2 that has the Quad Core Annapurna and this one should also be my Mediaserver and since it has 8GB of RAM, I plan to do a bit of Container Station and Docker in the future.

Then I have anoter TS-431+, that I have set up in Mid July 2021.

I took the time to power them all down and up, all QNAP have the latest official 4.5.4.1741 build, the Synology is running on DSM 7.0 latest official build, here are the results.

Power down test results

TS-431+ (the one that I had since many years 3 x 5TB): 5 min 51 sec
TS-431+ (fresh build Mid 2021 4 x 2TB): 6 min 17 sec
TS-231P2 (fresh build Mid 2021 1 x 4TB): 6 min 28 sec
Synology DS415Play (fresh build Mid 2021, 3 x 2 TB): 0 min 47 sec

As you can see they all have a more or less similar disk config and they are about the same age (old). The 3 QNAP all have the security applications running, the TS-231P2 also runs the Multimedia Console.

Now for the power on test results

TS-431+: 11 min 6 sec
TS-431+: 8 min 25 sec (this is the fresh built in Mid July 2021 system)
TS-231P2: 8 min 23 sec
Synology DS415Play: 1 min 45 sec

The time was stopped soon after the booted up beep for all NAS and after I could go to the login page, I did not time how long the login would take.

Summary and conclusion

This very small test explains why some userss are so frustrated. I did not know that this old Synology box could do shutdown and reboot so quickly, I bought it out of curiousity and because it was an excellent deal.

But this bootup and shutdown, this explains why many users are not happy at all. I do not know what good the QTS does when it boots up, but hey, it is a NAS and I have 4, three are super slow and one is fast, this is no way to make this brand look bad, but on the other hand, regarding boot up and shutdown times, I cannot change all this.

People mentioned they also lose a lot of time with firmware updates, but that is okay with me. Although when I have to boot my QNAP because it is unresponsive, until it is back online, it takes me 15-20 minutes, and this is, with all respect, quite a long long time for a linux based system.

In all fairness, boot time for the TS-231P2 with the Quad Core Annapurna was at least faster than with the TS-431+. Although, since all those years, bootup and shutdown times were no way any better. I remember my still owned TS-119, sloooow too, very slow.

If someone would be able to shed a bit light why it takes so long, that would be great.

And one more thing, I remember in the past that I thought my QNAP was stuck with the shutdown many many times (actually since I owned the TS-431+) and I did pull the power plug, I did only find out recently that it really takes so long to power down the systems. Lucky me nothing bad happened to my backups.
dpbrick
Starting out

Post by dpbrick »

I am experiencing my 2nd critical hardware failure in as many models. I was pretty satisfied with my old Qnap TS-219P NAS but I had to can it because of a hardware (motherboard) failure. I went with a TS-251B, which was the latest and greatest 2-bay at the time, and now it will not recognize the hard drives that have been sitting in it for a couple of years.

I removed the hard drives to perform some connector maintenance, but now I'm not really sure whether I can reinstall them without the OS trying to reinitialize them. They don't publish a guide for this sort of situation, only the basic startup for a new unit. That set of instructions has me scared because they warn that all data on the hard drive will be erased(!) This sort of very basic information should be easily accessible for the user from Qnap, but I am here in the community forums trying to find more info than they are willing to publish.

Also, Qnap marketed this newer unit as a great multimedia NAS for use with Plex, fully capable of transcoding media files on the fly. I have never been able to get it to do that successfully and so gave up on it. So I paid over $400 for a boat anchor that never really did what it was marketed to do. I have to say I'm pretty frustrated, as well.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Always have external backups of your data (most important rule)

Then.. the OS is on the drives (a limited startup system is on an internal DOM.. but nothing major) if you start the NAS with your old drives it should work just fine

The 251B should work OK with Plex .. what exactly was the issue .. do you have a Plexpass ?
Earendil
Getting the hang of things

Post by Earendil »

I, too, have had several Qnaps and have been around a while. I only use them for home use but agree with some of the complaints that apps are enabled that I do not want or need. Their power draw is lower than any computer system and that's important because I keep them on 24/7. But the rest of the things in Qnap "just work" for me and that's why it's most reliable NAS' I've ever had.

I went to FreeNAS/NAS4Free/XigmaNAS because no home user could afford the huge cost of a 10-15 HDD NAS for home. The XigmaNAS system I have is a 4 core AMD A10, a Gigabyte motherboard, single 1 Gb network port, 6 SATA ports on the m/b, 4 more in a PCI x1 card and an Orico 5 bay enclosure through USB 3.0 for a total of 10 HDDs. The system cost about $300 which no large Qnap NAS could equal. Instead the cost went into the HDDs which easily cost me more than $1500 (I include spares). I still need reliability and have it in the 2 and 4 bay Qnaps I own but the regular computer components of the XigmaNAS system, not so much. I have been through three power supplies in the 10+ years I've had the XigmaNAS system and troubleshooting the first two was LONG and DIFFICULT when they began to fail - the details I could tell! I once was nested 7 DEEP in adding a new HDD to a RAIDZ1 pool! In other words it failed each time I tried to add the same HDD! Miraculously (yeah, ZFS!) if finally worked and backed out without loosing the pool. I was an electrical technician in the Navy and have been an electrical engineer for 30 years but I have never see such intermittent and seemingly non-related issues to the real electrical problem. Sure, they each ran 24/7 for four years each but each faded resulting in hundreds of hours of troubleshooting these quishy Chinese power supplies. End result - buy name brand computer power supplies (I now have a Corsair RM650x running almost 3 years 24/7).

For me a >4 HDD bay NAS' isn't economical with Qnap for the home unless reliability is more of a concern than economy. It's why I have reliable NAS' backing up some unreliable NAS' data. Your mileage may vary.
Earendil
- TS-101 (v2.3.0 build 0825T) with a 2 TB WD green HDD
- TS-209 Pro (died during firmware update, too old to recover)
- TS-231 (latest firmware) with two 3 TB WD red HDDs in RAID 1
- TS-431P2-4G (latest firmware) with four 8 TB WD white HDDs in RAID 5
- A fifteen HDD XigmaNAS system (130 TB) in three RAID 5's
Johnny_laser
First post

Post by Johnny_laser »

I’m or should I say was in the market for a NAS for managing my photography (photos and 4K) video ending, I’ve spent hours pondering over which NAS and decided on TVS-472XT but now after ready this thread I’m really put off but the way the systems seem to function after a while of being in service, maybe I should stick to my WD DAS for now unless someone can convince me otherwise?

Return to “Users' Corner”