Probably my last QNAP...

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Re: Probably my last QNAP...

Post by Cbrad01 »

Johnny_laser wrote:I’m or should I say was in the market for a NAS for managing my photography (photos and 4K) video ending, I’ve spent hours pondering over which NAS and decided on TVS-472XT but now after ready this thread I’m really put off but the way the systems seem to function after a while of being in service, maybe I should stick to my WD DAS for now unless someone can convince me otherwise?
Overall I would not have a problem recommending a QNAP NAS to anyone. I always advise people to do research and planning. Purchase one that meets your needs and don’t be cheap (no need to go crazy) but remember that it is a computer and can be complex.
If you want simple and no thoughts by a USB drive!
Don’t spec out and purchase a NAS to store photos and then see all of these “cool” apps and the load everything possible to do everything on a dual core low end cpu for 4 gig of RAM and then complain it’s slow.
Understand your security risk and how to protect yourself before you plug it into the cable modem and then complain you got hacked.
Don’t blinding read the marketing hype and think you can spend a couple of hundred dollars and have a world class NAS and VM farm running multiple VMs and containers.
I push my devices hard and expect a lot from them for what they are and they are fitted out to meet their jobs which means that I have one that I have over $4K in.
The only problem have had is recently with the new Hero V5.x OS. I think right now QNAP is pushing their OS development a bit two fast on and that they need to position Hero as a enterprise OS and get rid of the consumer crap on it and position the standard OS for consumers.
But overall I don’t regret my purchases and when I need another (I have several now) QNAP will be at the top of my list. They are great hardware devices with a good OS (not perfect) that when a person purchase the correct device for the job work good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaysona
Been there, done that

Re: Probably my last QNAP...

Post by jaysona »

I just finished helping a friend get TrueNAS Scale installed on a TS-870 Pro.

We opted to use a 32GB USB DOM instead of a 32GB USD thumb drive connected to one of the external USB ports.

The only issue we noticed was that we needed to disabled VT-d in the BIOS in order for all eight drives to be seen - which we found odd, but meh, it works.

32GB USB DOM used:
https://corpshadow.biz/msata-ssd/32gb-usb-dom-module

We used (and modified) this for the front panel LCD to display information.
https://github.com/jdupl/QnapFreeLCD/
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-872x (i7-8700. 64GB) (Plex server & encoding host) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6706T (32GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AX86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 3004.388.6_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC66U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.12_6
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)

Return to “Users' Corner”