TS-251+ Is this a known issue?

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
al9315
New here

TS-251+ Is this a known issue?

Post by al9315 »

My TS-251+ has packed up. It came up as a drive fail, replaced the drive, could not re-build, and showed fan error as well.
Contacted helpdesk, reply was just - back plane board / fan failed, send to them for repair $270
It is 5 years old so I do not feel like paying 2/3 cost of a new one for repair.
I have since then read various posts about a known issue? - solder a 100ohm resistor in to fix.......... - not something I can do

My question is :-

Is/was the TS-251+ a poor buy, and 5 years is about the expectation of its life, or have I just been unlucky?
If I bought another TS-251+, can I just take the disk/s from the old one and continue as if nothing had happened, or does one need to configure the new machine, and re-import the data
Would a 451+ be a better model, or are the issues likely to be the same?
I only use my NAS as a music server, with a few thousand albums on it. I sometimes just uploaded a few new ones using Windows 10 Explorer, and dragging them from the folder into the NAS drive music folder.
Can one do this using a 4 drive system, in other words, will I still be able to have a mapped drive on my PC called say 'music' and be able to just drag & drop as I do with my Raid 1 setup ( I do not quite understand how Raid 5 works, as is obvious) !

Thank you in advance for any help, and any advice on how to learn a bit more about this (to me) complicated subject
Regards,
Ian
Ron1963
Been there, done that

Re: TS-251+ Is this a known issue?

Post by Ron1963 »

At the time of introduction the bug in the Intel processor range causing this problem was not known and it is affecting more products using one of the affected processors, not only some QNAP NAS's in the x51/x53 range. What is annoying to say the least is that QNAP plays dumb about the issue although it's a well known problem as you have found out. The 451+ is internal basically the same NAS as the 251+, just 4 bays instead of 2. With same processor and bug. Buying that one at the time would not have prevented you from this situation. And yes, with another 251+ you can just swap the drives, just make sure to use the drive in the same drive bay. In fact, you can do this with many other QNAP's and here you can check: https://www.qnap.com/en/nas-migration . The current 251D looks like the direct replacement for your 251+ and has a newer Intel processor without that bug.
1x TS251, 1x TS251D, 1x TS253
al9315
New here

Post by al9315 »

Wonderful - thank you so much for your reply, not always easy to get information even with the internet.
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

Following as I have a 5 year old TS251+
I was not aware of this “issue”.
Ron1963
Been there, done that

Post by Ron1963 »

Couple of threads here on the forum, f.i. viewtopic.php?f=45&t=135089&start=195 Basically, when you get an fan error on a x51/x53 system and the system doesn't come up properly after reboot, you are affected.
1x TS251, 1x TS251D, 1x TS253
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

Thank you. I will keep this thread bookmarked and my fingers crossed.
dpbrick
Starting out

Post by dpbrick »

Ron1963 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:02 pm At the time of introduction the bug in the Intel processor range causing this problem was not known and it is affecting more products using one of the affected processors, not only some QNAP NAS's in the x51/x53 range. What is annoying to say the least is that QNAP plays dumb about the issue although it's a well known problem as you have found out. The 451+ is internal basically the same NAS as the 251+, just 4 bays instead of 2. With same processor and bug. Buying that one at the time would not have prevented you from this situation. And yes, with another 251+ you can just swap the drives, just make sure to use the drive in the same drive bay. In fact, you can do this with many other QNAP's and here you can check: https://www.qnap.com/en/nas-migration . The current 251D looks like the direct replacement for your 251+ and has a newer Intel processor without that bug.
Can you specify for me the "Intel Processor range" you are referring to? I have a TS-251B that has apparently just died -- won't recognize the hard drives. Is it subject to the same hardware issue? I'm not sure I want to invest in another Qnap NAS if it's just going to be another time bomb.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Any Manufacturer with these Bay Trail/Apollo Lake processor revision has this issue

https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/2649/int ... ty-issues/

The SATA controller is not on the LPC bus

Return to “Users' Corner”