QHORA-301W - Slow Internet Download Speeds.

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
koy
Getting the hang of things

QHORA-301W - Slow Internet Download Speeds.

Post by koy »

Hello.

So its been a long time since last posting on this forum site, way back when I bought my first Qnap product the TS-509 Pro which I still have btw! :DD

Anyhow I now own a QHORA-301W and all is working but I'm not getting my full download speeds with the this router either using DHCP mode and connected to my isp's router or using PPPoE .

Okay so I have BT, FTTP, 900. With the supplied BT Smart Hub 2 connected to the ONT box I get 925Mbps download consistently and 110Mbps upload and again this is consistently over ethernet cable.

I have tested the connection on the BT Home Hub with the WiFi switched off and all other lan ports disconnected other than the lan cable to the ethernet port on my laptops (tested on two separate laptops) and my speeds last night were 925Mbps Download and 110Mbps upload this was tested multiple times and stayed solid on every test.

Test carried out with the BT Smart Hub connected to the QHORA-301W and the QHORA-301W set in DHCP mode, again I switched off WiFi and unplugged all other lan cables from the router and using the same cables as I had just used in the previous test and also testing on two separate laptops I received anywhere ranging from 400Mbps to 550Mbps Download and 110Mbps upload this was tested multiple times with same results. For the first second of the test the speeds hit about 800Mbps then drops of rapidly (within a second) steadying around 400Mbps to 550Mbps.

I also updated the firmware from, 1.5.5.0001, build 20210401, to the latest, 1.5.6.0001, build 20210408, as I noticed a update was available and once this was done I carried out the test again. Unfortunately this didn't improve the download speeds after multiple tests.

I have tested the QHORA-301W with all the other options switched off like firewall, VPN but this also doesn't result in better speeds.

I feel the QHORA-301W bottlenecks for some reason something is pulling my download speeds down and there doesn't appear to be anyway to change this. I have also changed the MTU settings to 1500 and 9000 using DHCP but this didn't help. It doesn't appear possible to change the MTU settings in PPPoE mode to 1500 or 9000? The BT Smart Hub 2 however has its MTU set to 1500 in PPPoE mode but again this isn't possible with the QHORA-301W in PPPoE.

I have sent detail to support and waiting to hear back but was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same issue or may have a better understanding of maybe what is going on and would be able to offer some help and support.

Thanks
Koy.
TS-509
dkess
New here

Re: QHORA-301W - Slow Internet Download Speeds.

Post by dkess »

Hi,

I could test internet speeds only with DHCP WAN (1000/300 Mbps) and I could not experience any speed problems with latest fw. I made a factory reset after update the fw last time. I recommend to make a factory reset - maybe it can help.

I can get same internet speeds as I connected my PC directly to net. Sustained (e.g. 100 GB download) speeds are good as well. I can reach more than 900 Mbps via WiFi with cell phone (S10). Maybe I can try it with PPPoE gigabit internet as well. I hope Your problem will be solved soon.

Best regards,
dkess
tim320
New here

Post by tim320 »

I have the same issue,

I could consistently get 1100 MBIT down (1.1 GB) to 1.2 GB I have a cable mode that has a 2.5GB ethernet cable, and pay for 1.2GB speed.

Then sometime after updating to 1.5.x from 1.4.x My speed fluctuated between 600 MBIT to 800MBIT..

All my clients have 2.5 GB adapters, my machine has a 10GB adapter

Here is my network mapping:
Arris 33s cable modem (2.5GB port)--->Qhora-301w 10GB-1 WAN port---> 10GB-2 LAN Port--->10GB 8 port trendnet switch

From 10GB 8 port trendnet switch
| |
V V
10GB 4 port sw 10GB switch in garage--------> to 2 2.5GB clients
|
V
My PC (10GB port)
Work PC (2.5 GB port)
4 Port 2.5 HUB--------------------------> QNAP NAS via 5GB (usb 3.0) adapter

All my ethernet drops consistently got between 1.1GB to 1.2 GB until recently which I can only associate with one of the recent firmware updates...

QNAP needs to investigate this and release a firmware update fast to fix as I have spent lots of money to get my network to be future proof and this router was the cheapest option short of going to an enterprise level router.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

open a ticket with them then ..posting here will do nothing
tim320
New here

Post by tim320 »

OK Manually updated to firmware 1.6.5.0001 and the issue is resolved.
- Note: Router did not detect this update fyi..

Per release notes:
[Issues Fix]
- The throughput of 10GbE port will reduce to 450Mb after the router joins QuWAN Orchestrator.
- When the device is in AP mode, 1GbE Port 1 - Port4 can’t work.
- QuWAN VPN tunnel can’t be built successfully.
- DDNS function can’t work normally.
koy
Getting the hang of things

Post by koy »

So it's been awhile since my last post and nothing has changed on the slow internet speeds using the QHORA-301W. :(

It doesn't look like this will get fixed. It appears to be an issue with the MTU settings using PPPOE, the QHORA-301W will only let you use up to 1492 and BT uses 1500, so if you have a BT FTTP connection over 450Mbps I would stay clear of this router unless someone can fix it.

The regular monthly updates seem to have slowed to a stop this last couple of months and no road map available.

Thinking of binning this router as it just doesn't perform, it will go down as bad choice and will leave a bitter taste at £300 :cry: , thinking of starting a fresh with the new DM Pro SE when available?
TS-509
tim320
New here

h

Post by tim320 »

I am also sorta binning this router - I think its a bottleneck over the 10GB ethernet ports we well. Not seeing the speeds I expect to my NAS via 10gb switch from a 10gb nic on my PC.

So I got me an Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro in a box right now, going to install it later today and leave the Qhora connected to my 10gb switch do to wifi only (will report back later today)

So new config will be [Cable modem]---->[Dream machine pro - 10gb sfp via ehternnet sfp transiever WAN port]------>[ 8 port10GB trendnet smartedge switch / via 10GB lan port (sfp to ethernet)]
|
|
{All my ethernet clients} + Qhora-301w for Wifi clients
DCGOO
First post

Post by DCGOO »

Same here. I have AT&T 2Gbps symmetrical service, which gives me roughly 2300 Mbps down/up when I am connected directly to their modem, 5 Gbps port. With this router in line, the best I can get bounces around between 120 - 150 Mb. I’ll open a ticket, but I am afraid this turkey is going back to Amazon. Very disappointing.

Return to “Users' Corner”