Forum timeout can kill a long post

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
mikesmith_inFL
Starting out

Forum timeout can kill a long post

Post by mikesmith_inFL »

I just spent about 20 minutes writing the details about a question I have.
When I pressed 'submit' it wanted me to log in again and lost all the details for my question.

If the forum is going to log people off after a timeout, can someone please set it up so that the thread
a user was working on isn't lost?

This is sooo frustrating.

( I couldn't find a forum section that seemed directly appropriate for this.
If there's a better one, please let me know or move this over there.
Thanks )
QNAP TS-431+ using QTS 4.3.6
- as of 2021-04-22 - migrated to 4 WD 4TB Reds (EFRX) in RAID 5
Home use PCs still on Win 7 mostly, 1 NUC w Linux / Win10 dualboot & tablet w Win8.1 with various Linux / ChromeOS dualboot devices scattered around.
intermittent external 5TB Seagate for backup1 and 10TB WDC Easystore for backup2
on an 8port TP-Link EasySmart, unmanaged GbE switch / 1500 MTU
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Forum timeout can kill a long post

Post by dolbyman »

yes, trick is to just go back and repost via the cached site

forum cookie timeout has been set by qnap to 24 hours a couple of years ago .. reason is unknown
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

sometimes i find just select all text, copy, paste into a notepad, BEFORE submit. just in case of situations like you reported. That is the only sane fix i managed to cope around this issue X_X;
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

As @dm already said, if you attempt to submit or preview your post and find you've exceeded the 24hr login timeout, just login to the forum as usual, then go back a couple of pages in your browser and submit your post again. Your web-browser keeps the form content you've typed in its cache. :)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Users' Corner”