QSync - Space Saving

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
briandlees
Starting out

QSync - Space Saving

Post by briandlees »

I was wondering if anybody else was having issues with the new QSync space saving functionality. First of all the upgrade was done very badly; it's ridiculous to change the behaviour by default and expect users to understand they have to change it back to what they had before. I have QSync on 5 family computers to sync folders back to the NAS when we are away from home. Losing a laptop isn't so much of a trauma if you have files backed up to the NAS. Therefore, space saving is the last thing I want - then entire point is to duplicate files so that you have a local copy to access if there's no internet connectivity, and a synchronised copy on the NAS as a backup.

The space saving functionality can only truly be turned off if you right click on all the folders you want to duplicate and select 'Always keep on this device'. This option is not available in the QSync client, which it should be to allow users to turn space saving off easily. Once you have selected 'Always keep on this device' some subfolders and files also change to this setting, but not all. You have to go down through the folder hierarchy and fix each anomaly manually. I believe newly created folders/files inherit the correct setting. Even when all files in a folder are shown as synchronised sometimes the folder says it isn't synchronised. I have given up trying to fix this because even when you get it to say the right thing it can change back again at random.

I have now done this twice because an update to the QSync client undid the settings.

Although entertainment during lockdown has been scarce I had other things I could usefully do other than go through all the folders in my family's computers to fix this problem.

Am I just blessed or is this a problem other people have encountered? Any advice on how to make everything sync and retain a local copy by some global mechanism would be appreciated.
spile
Been there, done that

Re: QSync - Space Saving

Post by spile »

Interesting - this had passed me by so after reading your post, I checked out out
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... aving-mode
and looked at my own client and settings.
Space-Saving mode was indeed enabled presumably as a result of the QSync Client 5 update.
When I checked through my files and folders I found a number were set as online-only which was rather worrying.

I note that space saving mode only applies to:
"Folders on NTFS drives.
Any folder that is not a C:\ or D:\ drive root directory or the Windows home directory (\user\username).
Any folder that is not a parent or child folder of OneDrive’s files-on-demand synchronization, iCloud Drive, Dropbox and Qsync’s Space-Saving Mode."

On further investigation, I found that these were either empty directories so I am currently not concerned.
Perhaps I should be?
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

Forced space saving is crap. Just saw this and have to check my clients. Don’t want to require folks to be online to access their files and they cannot access the NAS over the internet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
briandlees
Starting out

Post by briandlees »

So are there any fixes to this problem or does nobody care that it's broken? I have an automatic backup of my laptop every day to a folder on the PC which is synchronised using Qsync to my NAS. Before anybody asks the reason for this is that it will still backup when I'm on the move with no internet and sync when I get back within coverage. Anyway, as I said this is totally automatic and happens every day, but some days the Space Saving settings are different to others for no reason, i.e. I get new backups created with 'Always keep on this device' then out of the blue one will be created with 'Locally available on this device'. If you synchronise folders it happens at random after you edit files. Why and how do I stop this?
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Q*bert
New here

Post by Q*bert »

Apologies, Whilst I have no experience with QSync on windows, and I don't know the differences between the Apps.

i'm using NetBakup to duplicate files to the nas.Is it worth switching to this Qnap APP instead?

I don't know if version control is a thing in Qsync, but i'm about to move from 'normal' Shared Folders on the NAS to 'Snapshot' shared folders and replicate the netbakup to the 'Snapshot' folders so I have version control.

I hope this is helpful in some way?
Blame it on my ADD baby: 1282 & 251D

Return to “Users' Corner”