Solved - Unable to see files in Kodi via NFS after Upgrade

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Derek s
Starting out

Solved - Unable to see files in Kodi via NFS after Upgrade

Post by Derek s »

Hi all,
Just in case anyone else experiences the same issue. I upgraded to 4.5.3.1652 after the recent Qlocker attacks. Prior to this upgrade I was successfully running Kodi for Multimedia via NFS.
I had advanced folder settings ticked for selective access in the subfolders.

After the upgrade, Kodi could see the Folders, all the way down, however no files were listed or accessible. I spent hours changing user/folder permissions, including the guest access, root_squash in NFS settings read write/read only etc. etc, toggling NFS access on and of etc to no avail.

In the end I gave up and connected via Samba, which worked fine. I Searched the net for solutions re resetting all permissions to default etc.but only SSH options came up and I am not that familiar with Linux commands.

I raised a ticket as obviously something was broke/corrupted etc. Support were helpful, remotely logging in etc, but unable to sort. In the meantime, I did further research on the net and found one reference mentioning that the advanced folder options can sometimes cause issues after an upgrade and the advice was to disable advanced folder settings and then re apply the required permissions on the shared folders. I tried this and it worked perfectly, restoring NFS access to Kodi in full.

I have no idea why Samba worked and NFS didn't. I can only assume it was because Samba requires a login and it was the Guest or everyone permissions that were corrupted. I haven't re-instated the advanced permissions again, but I have come to the conclusion I don't actually need to bother for my requirements as top level permissions are fine.

Hope this may be of use to anyone else having similar.

Return to “Users' Corner”