Hi All, Where do we post 'Help and Critique' setups, please

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Q*bert
New here

Hi All, Where do we post 'Help and Critique' setups, please

Post by Q*bert »

Hello All, :D

Yes, the Forum Newbie did just open P a n d o r a 's Box :shock: , however, I would most sincerely appreciate advice on setup; including whether running a domain controller would be a good idea (for any future tech purchases and pushing software to them?). I need to get this to a situation where my wife can administrate the Qnap's with support from friends. I also have ASD kids so there's lots of important medical paperwork as well as the need to version control/restore from their kit.

I am also concerned with having a 1 drive pool for the system. I was going to put the system on the IronWolf SSD, but comes with less risk and I could get a second and Mirror, if this is a good idea?

Login Method:Browser - Edge (chrome/firefox), Qmanager
Model: 1282 / 251D
Firmware: 4.5.3.1670 / Same
Network: Trunked 802.3ad / Single
Drive Config 1282:-
M.2's: None
2.5's:-
1x SATA 1TB Hitachi HTS54 |not in use
1x SSD Ironwolf 125 250 | not in use
1x SATA WD 1TB WD10SPCX | not in use
1x SSD Kingston SA400 120GB | not in use
3.5's
1x2TB Barracuda @ Static 1.78 (System only <100GB)
1x 4TB IronWolf @ Thick 2.97 (2.04 Used, currently home local bkp)
4 (+2 spare's) x 500GB WD WD500ABYS | not in use (20yr old drives used to be in a raid 10)
2x8TB Exos 2KE101's @ Thick 7.07

Drive Config 251D:
1x2TB Barracuda @1.5 TB thick (needs remote bkp to 1282)
1x4TB IronWolf @2.97TB (used as remote bkp for 1282)

Spare Drives:
2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda's (one possibly threw faults in the first couple of days of it's install iirc)

Further Info
Both QNap's are with me right now, are linked to the same QNapID and can be seen correctly.

I believe our use case is the polar opposite of QTiering, I would rather base the setup on paging the drives to their 'replacement cost' in ascending order, but this is open for debate. Speed has never been a concern for us, and the 1282 It is literally for archival. Yes we may show pictures/videos from it in the future, I may re run the minecraft server but it's focus should be for QSync'ing phones, Netbak'ing PC's and HBS3 Sync from up to 10 clouds (capturing all clouds, no matter how small; that are associated with all email addresses) and upload to one larger cloud.
  • The1282's job as I see it is to do: 2 copies of "Current Data"= local network things, clouds & Qmail (one of which is on a mirror). Additionally I believe that the mirror should house all "Old & Misc" data on Mirror -> copy to Larger Cloud -> copy to remote 251D (QVPN/QNapID) -> copy to USB (When I remember..).

This should mean that High Availability local copies of "Current Data" are 2 with 1 remote and 1 cloud. With all original data being on devices and clouds.
    Old &Misc data has 0 High Availability copies, 1 remote and 1 cloud
  • The 251d's Job is to: be storage and backup for a friend and to house a remote backup of everything.
  • The 1282 also needs to backup my friends data, minimum 1 copy and I have got spare drives.
We have a separate NUC running ProxMox (needs to be setup to the 1282 for backups) with OPNSense(DHCP)+Sensei with no ports exposed. Plenty of resources free and it has a thunderbolt dock connected.

No individual, replicated or shared snapshots of any description. Once I have finished the extra duplications going on I was going to move everything to thin and enable snapshots, whilst Snapshot Replicating (hopefully scheduled) the 8TB (realistically 3tb atm) thin volume to the 4TB on the 251D.
  • What would be a better way of doing this with the kit, which wouldn't involve lots of extra cost i.e. i'm not getting anymore 8TB drives :), please.
Thank You,
Jon
Last edited by Q*bert on Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Hi All, Where do we post 'Help and Critique' setups, please

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Drive Config 1282:-
M.2's: None

2.5's:-
1x SATA 1TB Hitachi HTS54 |not in use
1x SSD Ironwolf 125 250 | not in use
1x SATA WD 1TB WD10SPCX | not in use
1x SSD Kingston SA400 120GB | not in use

3.5's
1x2TB Barracuda @ Static 1.78 (System only <100GB)
1x 4TB IronWolf @ Thick 2.97 (2.04 Used, currently home local bkp)
4 (+2 spare's) x 500GB WD WD500ABYS | not in use (20yr old drives used to be in a raid 10)
2x8TB Exos 2KE101's @ Thick 7.07
this model yes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HwcHKQoJHQ

why are the capacity sizes all different? for boot drive i can understand, but with raid you want the capacity size to all match ideally.

and also what do you mean by using the ironwolf as home backup? what device is it backing up? just to check we are on the same page, if you make duplicate data all on the same NAS, this doesn't count as a backup (external usb storage connected to the QNAP is acceptable however).
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... _a_backup/

is the Exos 2KE101 in raid1? what's this for?

i'm not a fan of spare hdd mode. Even if 1 hdd fails, your raid will still continue to work, albeit in degraded mode. You just replace bad hdd, let it complete sync, then it's back to normal. In worse case scenario, you have to redo the raid, and recover your data from your backup.

Drive Config 251D:
1x2TB Barracuda @1.5 TB thick (needs remote bkp to 1282)
1x4TB IronWolf @2.97TB (used as remote bkp for 1282)

Spare Drives:
2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda's (one possibly threw faults in the first couple of days of it's install iirc)

make sure you test those spare drives see their condition. note the bad one and zero fill format it, then dispose of it. Don't use a faulty hdd. it's a goner.

Is your friend reciprocating by allowing you to do offsite backup at his place in return? or is he paying for the electricity for housing the storage at your place? or is he just taking advantage of you? don't be a push over, you should make sure he is returning the favor for you as well. Also make sure that your backup stored at his place is client side encrypted to ensure your privacy if it's stored offsite :}

Also use a VPN for remote access. Setup VPN server on your router, then ask your friend to connect to you using a VPN client :'

here are some methods for setting up VPN for remote access. there are 2 methods here pfsense router or a raspberry pi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgielyUFGeQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsN47t2r_WU

for boot drive, i started out with raid5 hdd. later i switched to ssd raid1 and never looked back. never tried with a single SSD, maybe someone else can chime on that o-O;

for ssds 250 and 120gb are not great deals. You can get 500gb and 1tb TLC ssds for the cheap now. The reason i don't recommend anything below 500gb, is because of TBW endurance. For the price, you get a better deal with 500gb or 1tb. above that is already a premium. Also between m.2 sata and m.2 nvme, always go for the m.2 nvme since they are similarly priced but the later can outperform the sata that is bottle necked. But if your nas only supports m.2 sata, then just go with what it supports.

Sorry i don't play minecraft. how exactly does this work? who is going to have access? if it's between your friends, use vpn. If you are intending to make this open to the world wide web... DON'T o-O; i don't think you can secure your nas enuff for that kind of usage. It's not worth risking it when your nas contains your private stuff.

That's all i got to comment on. Maybe others can hop in and have their say as well :X
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Q*bert
New here

Post by Q*bert »

Hi Moogle :)

I just wanted to say a massive thank you for the time you put into your response :)

I was looking to gain an insight into how the physical hardware could be setup differently and better and I was happy to consider including lower cost inclusions (I provided the example of another SSD for a RAID 1 System pool, You mentioned you have done this). Additionally I was also after advice on setting up the software. e.g. HBS backup, HBS sync folders, snapshot folders, snapshot volumes, snapshot replication. I mentioned thin volumes to use snapshots and keep many versions, but my thoughts on this were more toward the 8TB Pool and it then having the ability for snapshot replication to the remote 251D, rather than using HBS3 sync. i.e.There may be a way to compress an original volume to a separate pool as a a full backup that also has the ability to snapshot version control. I know the reasons as to why back in the day this was the 'Holy Grail' and why it couldn't be done. but there could be better software defined ways to achieve Grandfather Father Son style backups within the realm of what I have at my disposal, or for a small cost.

Just because I "Think" I know what i'm doing, doesn't mean i'm not missing some 'nowadays' obvious things. I have been out of tech for 12 years, being an Avid watcher of LTT, Gamers Nexus, some Level 1 Tech and Lawrence Systems videos, doesn't match real world experience.
why are the capacity sizes all different? for boot drive i can understand, but with raid you want the capacity size to all match ideally.
The reason the kit looks like a horrid hodge podge, is because, well, you guessed it; it is :D
I used to run an Intel SSR212MC2 with 9 of those WD500GB drives (3 spare bays), that's where the drives came from, and this was back in the day when RAID 5DP (6) was being shouted as a big thing by IBM, EMC2 et al. Intel had only recently come out with a 10GB NIC and it's driver was limited to Windows Server 2k3 iirc , and setting up ISCSII was separate manual software and tweak of drivers iirc.

The Intel SAN was still working, there was nothing wrong with most of the drives (and they are still going strong), but I couldn't have a jet plane in the house and wanted a NAS where I could use most of the drives and replace over time. It was also cheaper to get the 1282 than a 672 and 673 at the time.
I bought 4x2TB barracuda's, then the youtube tech world blew up about WD and SMR, so I bought the 8TB Exos drives, thought 'well my old drives are probably SMR but are absolutely fine, so i'll keep using them in raid6 (originally 6, then moved to 10) but with a (lying around) 2TB Barracuda sync. Later I had the need to build a Surveillance 'nannycam' to make sure the mum in law was being cared for properly(251D &the 4tb ironwolf's)

Yes thats the one
and also what do you mean by using the ironwolf as home backup? what device is it backing up?
Home Backup = all local machines and phones. There are no mapped network drives, so everything on the nas is a copy from an original source.
is the Exos 2KE101 in raid1?
Yes the 8TB Exos are in Raid 1, there is no spare HDD ready to take over.
what's this for?
Currently as a large backup of everything, old and new, with overkill capacity for the future. (at that time buying these was a lot cheaper than 4x4TB Raid6), the plan was to invest in 4TB's when prices settled (HDD factory fire in China iirc) and began to come down again. Yeh, I didn't predict ChiaCOIN.
make sure you test those spare drives see their condition. note the bad one and zero fill format it, then dispose of it. Don't use a faulty hdd. it's a goner.
I marked the faulty at the time, the boxed spare is the replacement for it. Neither is being used atm. Despite being a Hard Drive Hoarder (12x 80-120GB that need to be uploaded, also lying around and again from the old days). I do destroy and chuck drives and will the presumed dodgy 2TB baracuda, when i've had chance to push it and see what the issue is in a test system.
Is your friend reciprocating by allowing you to do offsite backup at his place in return? or is he paying for the electricity for housing the storage at your place? or is he just taking advantage of you?
It's my 251D, Mum in law is now in a home, so it's being repurposed and I would rather have the ability to help a friend and use a spare 2TB (1.5TB actual) to help them out with backups and in return gain offsite backup, than sell the 251D for not a lot. It seemed worth it to keep it.
Also use a VPN for remote access. Setup VPN server on your router, then ask your friend to connect to you using a VPN client
Thank you, I did mention QVPN, Qlink and also mentioned not exposing ports.
for boot drive, i started out with raid5 hdd. later i switched to ssd raid1 and never looked back
Interesting to hear you switched to RAID 1 SSD, I mentioned doing this, I was thinking more along the lines of saving a drive spinning as I don't need the speed. Why did you make the move?
The reason i don't recommend anything below 500gb, is because of TBW endurance.
I looked up TBW's on SSD's before purchasing the Ironwolf 125 series and these have some of the highest. The 'Ratio's for TBW', Mean time to failure and iops are all identical throughout the range. Given my system drive is already under 100GB I deduced that 250GB was sufficient, especially with their controller their 'Actual on chip vs Advertised' storage and I was going to give it another 20% overprovision, just because i wouldn't be using anywhere near that space anyway.
for ssds 250 and 120gb are not great deals. You can get 500gb and 1tb TLC ssds for the cheap now
Cost ratio was worth it in this instance, the larger drives seem to be being bought up by scalpers and Chia miners. I don't need a large system drive anyway :)
between m.2 sata and m.2 nvme, always go for the m.2 nvme since they are similarly priced but the later can outperform the sata
Yes, totally agreed, M.2 NVME is the way to go where you can. I use them in other systems in the home. Unfortunately the 1282 is SATA only.
Sorry i don't play minecraft. how exactly does this work? who is going to have access?
The minecraft server is internal lan only and just for the kids.

So what do you think then, leave it as I was going to?
With the only adjustment being SSD the System drive and get another to Raid 1 it for failure?
What's your experience with SSD Caching?
I did have the kingston SSD 120GB as read only cache, but whilst in theory it should have sped some drives up (the old ones as an e.g.) the whole system slowed down while doing data transfers :shock: Removing it, whilst eating up a lot more CPU resources (72-85% average but would peak at 99%; while copying multiple folders over network and pool to pool simultaneously) I went from average 12MB/s to 40+MB/s per pool to pool and pool to Lan, with the Exos drive pool reads going from 42-60MB/s to 120-160MB/s.

So theory is not showing the same as real world experience, which is why I am grateful for any advice :)
Blame it on my ADD baby: 1282 & 251D
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Q*bert wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:43 am Hi Moogle :)

I just wanted to say a massive thank you for the time you put into your response :)
o/ your'e welcome :)

Q*bert wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:43 am
I was looking to gain an insight into how the physical hardware could be setup differently and better and I was happy to consider including lower cost inclusions (I provided the example of another SSD for a RAID 1 System pool, You mentioned you have done this).
just to clarify, my OS boot drive on the qnap is 2x m.2 satas ssds in a raid1. My hdds is in a SEPARATE pool that contains 4hdd raid 5. So i did not combine the SSD + the hdd into 1 single pool :) they are in their own separate pools.

also i did try 1 single ssd as a boot drive, but this was on a truenas. not sure if that is recommended, but it's all i can fit on my backup nas (which does not have m.2 ssd slots :( or spare bays for another ssd)
Q*bert wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:43 am Additionally I was also after advice on setting up the software. e.g. HBS backup, HBS sync folders, snapshot folders, snapshot volumes, snapshot replication.
i use hbs to rsync one way from main qnap nas to backup qnap nas. i do have snapshots enabled for my raid5 volume enabled.

Q*bert wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:43 am I mentioned thin volumes to use snapshots and keep many versions, but my thoughts on this were more toward the 8TB Pool and it then having the ability for snapshot replication to the remote 251D, rather than using HBS3 sync. i.e.There may be a way to compress an original volume to a separate pool as a a full backup that also has the ability to snapshot version control. I know the reasons as to why back in the day this was the 'Holy Grail' and why it couldn't be done. but there could be better software defined ways to achieve Grandfather Father Son style backups within the realm of what I have at my disposal, or for a small cost.
i don't backup my snapshots like that, although you could if you want to.. so i can't advise you on this unfortunately. i merely use my own snapshots as a convenient time based file changes for fine tuning if i made a couple of changes recently that i want to undo. Sincemy snapshots expire after a week, i have that much of time alotted before it only keeps the latest snapshot. i do it this way because i have limited space to work with which i only reserved 5% of my total usable space for this.

Q*bert wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:43 am Just because I "Think" I know what i'm doing, doesn't mean i'm not missing some 'nowadays' obvious things. I have been out of tech for 12 years, being an Avid watcher of LTT, Gamers Nexus, some Level 1 Tech and Lawrence Systems videos, doesn't match real world experience.
we visit the same sites :lol:

Q*bert wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:43 am The reason the kit looks like a horrid hodge podge, is because, well, you guessed it; it is :D
well i can understand, cauz over the years you get more stuff, so you just use whats on hand. but for my main nas, i have the hdd setup preplanned, so i buy matching capacity sizes. I usually dump those odd mismatch hdds on my older nas which is merely used for backup purposes since i got room for them rather than leaving them in storage not doing anything 8)

Q*bert wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:43 am
I bought 4x2TB barracuda's, then the youtube tech world blew up about WD and SMR, so I bought the 8TB Exos drives, thought 'well my old drives are probably SMR but are absolutely fine
i bought some wd reds close to that time period, but i managed to dodge a bullet by buying the non smr wd reds fortunately.

Q*bert wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:43 am Interesting to hear you switched to RAID 1 SSD, I mentioned doing this, I was thinking more along the lines of saving a drive spinning as I don't need the speed. Why did you make the move?
before i used ssd for boot drive i had the OS running from 4x 4tb raid5. I had no ssds installed. But later i added 2ssd raid1 for read only cache for the raid5. Then later i changed things around to make the SSD raid1 the boot drive for QTS (and also for the qpkg apps, and VM), and the raid5 only just for storage (pictures, files, video , music etc...).

basically i was testing ssd for caching the hdd raid, but i felt it was simply better in the end to have the qts boot drive running on it directly then doing a round about way like caching.

I don't use qtier as much, but others on the forum do use it, so you can ask them about it.

Q*bert wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:43 am The minecraft server is internal lan only and just for the kids.
If it's internal where you aren't required to port forward, then this ought to be fine. I also use web server apps like unifi controller, and servio which i use for my lan which is safe to use. so no problem.

Q*bert wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:43 am So what do you think then, leave it as I was going to?
i was hoping others can chime in on this for the followup. i just commented on some of your settings is all to help the convo get started :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Q*bert
New here

Post by Q*bert »

:)
just to clarify, my OS boot drive on the qnap is 2x m.2 satas ssds in a raid1. My hdds is in a SEPARATE pool that contains 4hdd raid 5. So i did not combine the SSD + the hdd into 1 single pool :) they are in their own separate pools.
Ok, I didn't even realise that was a thing 0.0 being 'Old Skool'. I still thought that they would have to match or: be greater than but similar throughput. perhaps someone is lucky enough to have 2tb ssd's and 2tb spinning discs, but pooling them would seem a bonkers thing to do.
But later i added 2ssd raid1 for read only cache for the raid5. Then later i changed things around to make the SSD raid1 the boot drive for QTS
I have just taken receipt of (ordered last night) another Ironwolf 125 250GB. I am about to setup the mirror on the pair. I'm keeping with the 2.5"bays over m.2 due to convenience of replacement. If I ever want to cache, I would prefer to use the m.2 sata's anyway, as if they fail, it doesn't matter when someone could get round to replacing them.
i was hoping others can chime in on this for the followup. i just commented on some of your settings is all to help the convo get started
I too hope so and Thank You for your input thus far :)

/me starts to check on how to switch system drive again.
Before pulling the plug and drives then restarting the box and setting up the Raid on the SSD's for first volume (iirc it might require a reset). I backed up the System settings last night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So questions remaining and to invoke specific responses and thoughts :)

We are not using the Qnaps' as True Nas's
Given the ASD nature of things, I don't want to change their current method of filing. I can get them used to another way, but it will be with time and let's be honest, the pandemic and educating from home has got them really used to the current process.
The goal would be to expand the NAS by further 4TB IronWolf's in the future and moving to Raid5DP(6)

I would be grateful for thoughts on:
  • Domain controller and benefits: will this be a help or hindrance to my wife/family?
    Will it aid in installing future tech like tablets i.e. will it install software on based on profiles?
    Or for when anxiety responses occur and Tech gets broken (/me touch's wood, as they haven't done it so far)
  • Is there a better way to Setup the hardware and software for archival?
    Raid 1 SSD implementation for System Drive is underway
  • Am I correct in thinking that Qtier is a bad idea, given we do not need speed?
    I would rather my family have a 'Fire and Forget' approach as much as possible, with ' oh look a failure, I need to replace the drive, and keeping an eye on firmware updates via push notifications being the norm
  • Am I correct in moving everything to Thin for snapshots as I don't need speed?
  • Presumably I wouldn't 'have' to overprovision the SSD 'System Array'; given the engineering, it being a thin volume and as the current system is <100Gb. However, I should make the thin volume Max-20% =200GB?
    Not getting into the obvious actual data size debates, for those not knowing, im sure there will be tons of posts about 1000 vs 1024 and Data storage representations vs physical system memory ones
  • After checking the Thick to Thin conversion is successful (namely on the 8tb raid). Should I wipe the 4TB on the 251D and then set the 8TB to snapshot replicate onto the 4TB 251D (*we are unlikely to move past 3TB for some length of time?*)
    Or does it see the folders, recognise that they are already direct copies and just snapshot (Im guessing this is a wish)
    I am also going to move 1TB out of that and into 3x cold storage, so effectively we should be down to 2TB
  • Am I correct in thinking that I need to get the data on the volumes right as best as possible the first time i.e. get all the copying done, then enable SnapShots?
    Given that i.e. if I was to snapshot replicate the current 3TB of Data from the 8TB array to the 4TB 251D; this would have been a waste of drive space on the 251D at this time, as i'm moving 1TB from the 8TB array completely out into 3x Cold Storage
  • Am I correct to enable snapshots on all the pools except the 4TB 251D single, but including the 8TB raid thin volume as this would allow local versioning rollback on it directly, as well as via the 4TB 251D Snapshot Replication-Restore should the 8TB Array completely fail? and I need to rebuild the 8TB Array on the 1282
  • When you enable Snapshot replication on the 8TB Thin volume, is this doing a direct copy of itself e.g.the original snapshots already on the drive from its own Snapshot; are being copied, or does this do another Snapshot process; so that in effect it will be including Snapshots of Snapshots within the Snapshot Replication to the 4TB 251D
  • Do I continue with the current plans to to:-
    Individual computers and phones have their own local storage and individual cloud
    NetBak + QSync + Personal Clouds -> [1282 4TB single Ironwolf Thin + Snapshot]
    [1282 8TB Mirror Thin *Snapshot method to be decided*] to house all old + Misc data & HBS3 sync the individual folders from the [1282 4TB Single Thin + Snapshot] to it.
    [1282 8TB Mirror Thin *Snapshot method to be decided*] SnapShot Replication to the [251D 4TB Single *no snapshots??*]
    No Snapshots, as they are being provided by the SnapShot Replication?
    • Do i I set the cloud folders on the [1282 4TB single Ironwolf Thin + Snapshot] as Snapshot folders, to save rolling the whole drive back by the overall drive Snapshots?
    • Does having snapshot folders mean that I can't simply HBS3 copy the folders from the [1282 4TB single Ironwolf Thin + Snapshot] and to the [1282 8TB Mirror Thin *Snapshot method to be decided*]?
      As doing so wouldn't move the snapshots, and therefore I would only be copying the folder as it stands, including any accidental deletions? Meaning that the data is completely lost?
      how do i copy the snapshots for these 'Snapshot Folders' across with the HSB3 copy'?
      Or does this mean, I only use HBS3 Copy (for pulling from personal clouds, as NetBak and QSync are copying the rest) on the [1282 4TB Single Thin + Snapshot] and from this point onward, I have to Snapshot Replicate the [1282 4TB Single Thin + Snapshot] onto the [1282 8TB Mirror Thin *Snapshot method to be decided*] which is in turn Snapshot Replicated to the[251D 4TB Single *no snapshots??*]
    Yikes and Thanks all at the same time..
    Jon
Q*bert
New here

Post by Q*bert »

Ok this is getting really interesting now, and I definitely do need snapshot advice,

Bear in mind that I am merely looking to use snapshots now, due to the amount of malware issues of late. I know they are not for backups, hopefully the posts above, show that I do other things to mitigate risk oincluding multiple copies going up the proverbial creek, however given everything of the past few years, and especially due to the recent Qlocker. I believe it will be useful to have snapshots for easier recovery. No I wasn't hit by it.

I just discovered some posts talking about the fact the Qnap filesystem is essentially an overlay on top of what is really an lvm2 thin filesystem regardless of volume provisioning which is why snapshots are based on block data.

I also can't find a single thing on system drives being on thin volumes, however to the contrary there does seem to be information on making a system volume as Static or Thick. So unless I can find otherwise, or someone chimes in to say you can, I will be setting the 2x250GB SSD Ironwolf's as Thick 200GB.

Return to “Users' Corner”