TS-251+ Static volume setup

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
HKey_Root
New here

TS-251+ Static volume setup

Post by HKey_Root »

TS-251+

1x3TB HDD

At a future date I want to install a 2nd 3TB HDD and be able to 'see' both drives in a similar fashion to say E: and F: drives on a PC.
Having set up this device with a Thin Volume It seems that this is inappropriate for my needs. After performing a 'Reinitialize NAS' with the intention of creating a Static volume I find that the only options presented to me are Thick/Thin Volume or iSCSI LUN. Selecting the latter gives me the options: Static volume - Thick volume - Thin volume. So I select Static volume>Next and I get 'NAS Host [available disk(s): 0/2] and I can't select a drive as there are none in the list!
I'm tearing my hair out here.
I don't want any data copied to a second drive or any data spanning two HDDs. Just two discrete storage drives.
Am I trying to do something which isn't possible?
Any pointers would be much appreciated.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-251+ Static volume setup

Post by dolbyman »

got any screenshots ? .. I setup 2 CAT2 devices last couple of weeks and they all offered static volume on creation
HKey_Root
New here

Post by HKey_Root »

I'm not sure I can get screenshots now unless I perform another reinitialise. If I do I'll post.
HKey_Root
New here

Post by HKey_Root »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:33 pm got any screenshots ? .. I setup 2 CAT2 devices last couple of weeks and they all offered static volume on creation
Hi, @dolbyman. I've just installed a second identical HDD and I now have 2 static/discrete HDDs in the NAS. As I went through the steps again I couldn't recreate what I must have done wrong previously and in fact it all seemed straight forward this time. Many thanks for your input and reassurance that what I wanted to do was technically possible. And thanks for not suggesting I should be RAIDing as I may lose my data on drive failure. This NAS is my backup system.

Return to “Users' Corner”