Upgrade path from QTS 4.2.0

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Big Moose
New here

Upgrade path from QTS 4.2.0

Post by Big Moose »

Hi all,

I have a TS-451 that runs very well on QTS 4.2.0 (build 20151118). It is purposely not exposed to the net (local only). Years ago I made the call to stay on 4.2.0 based on the myriad of issues others were dealing with while upgrading at the time.

Prompted by the need to swap out a failing drive in my RAID1 array last week, I decide to top up with two more additional drives, migrating to RAID6. While researching proper methodology I rediscovered this board and began digging through release notes and features up to QTS 5.0.

My honest question is, being currently satisfied with 4.2.0, is there a compelling reason to upgrade to any subsequent version, either feature or security wise? And if so, are there dependencies in the upgrade path which require a staggered migration through versions to a recommended latest version?

Feedback is super appreciated.

Thanks
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Re: Upgrade path from QTS 4.2.0

Post by Cbrad01 »

Big Moose wrote:Hi all,

I have a TS-451 that runs very well on QTS 4.2.0 (build 20151118). It is purposely not exposed to the net (local only). Years ago I made the call to stay on 4.2.0 based on the myriad of issues others were dealing with while upgrading at the time.

Prompted by the need to swap out a failing drive in my RAID1 array last week, I decide to top up with two more additional drives, migrating to RAID6. While researching proper methodology I rediscovered this board and began digging through release notes and features up to QTS 5.0.

My honest question is, being currently satisfied with 4.2.0, is there a compelling reason to upgrade to any subsequent version, either feature or security wise? And if so, are there dependencies in the upgrade path which require a staggered migration through versions to a recommended latest version?

Feedback is super appreciated.

Thanks
5x is beta right now so do not upgrade a production system to a beta OS.
As for firmware upgrades you will get security updates and fixes that are included.
Do you need those fixes? Only you know that. If your system works fine, is stable and protected from the outside maybe not.
I am not on the oldest firmware nor the newest. I stay on a version they meets needs and only upgrade when there is a reason. I would recommend the following stay on the version you are on as long as your NAS is secured and not accessible from the internet 2) that your network is secure so the NAS can’t be attacked from a “trusted” device 3) that there are no features/ fixes that new code provides that makes life better.
In short I follow a “the devil I know is better then the devil I don’t” view within reason. I protect my perimeter to the point that in some cases it impacts users going to the internet. This allows me to maintain a more “open” internal network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Users' Corner”