Initialise new NAS before inserting old drives from old NAS?

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
mversion
Starting out

Initialise new NAS before inserting old drives from old NAS?

Post by mversion »

Hey everyone,
my TS-453 PRO got the dreaded SYSTEM BOOTING error and I have just come home with a shiny new TS-653D. I just booted it up, loaded QFinder Pro to first update the firmware before I insert my old drives, but I get the following prompt:

"Some of the system settings have not been initialised. To avoid update failure you are recommended to initialise the system first. Click "Yes" to continue to update the system."

Do I say yes or no considering all I want is to update the firmware, power it off, insert the old drives from the old NAS in the correct order and fingers crossed, have my old setup migrate and I am back to where I was.

I have a feeling it has be to Yes, but I hope you understand I don't want to RISK A THING so I thought I should ask first click later :)
mversion
Starting out

Re: Initialise new NAS before inserting old drives from old NAS?

Post by mversion »

Thanks RandomMen. I had already checked that guide before making my purchase decision on the TS-653D. My question was a specific one part of the migration process itself. Luckily QNAP support were more than happy to do a remote session and we got there in the end. Admittedly he was too quick so I didn't see whether he clicked yes or now. But all is well that ends well.

Return to “Users' Corner”