Lifespan of Qnap devices

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
nptvs671
Starting out

Lifespan of Qnap devices

Post by nptvs671 »

I purchased QNAP TVS-671 i3 6 Bay NAS in 2016. It's now running with all 6 disks. Since 2020, it has been running very slow, in the sense that even opening the AppCenter app takes up to a min ( I don't run too many apps too ). I wrote several tickets and most of them were closed with some unacceptable answers.
In the last ticket I wrote, I was told that the NAS is in good shape except that it's aged.
My NAS has 16G ram and it runs on a 4th gen i3 processor. I know the Gen is old, but my Synology is running super smooth and is just running on Intel Celeron J4125.
I am really trying to understand the answer given by the Support team.
It's Qnap that created newer firmware, asked me to upgrade to the latest firmwares, made apps that run slower on the older version.

Is a NAS supposed to live for just 4+ years? then it's worth the $1300 price tag?
Who made my NAS old?
OneCD
Guru

Re: Lifespan of Qnap devices

Post by OneCD »

Up-to 1 minute to open the App Center doesn't sound right. I have QNAP NAS from 2010-2011 that opens App Center in under 10 seconds. Something is slowing your NAS down. :'

Maybe it's trying to do too-much? What are your system load averages? You can find these by SSH'ing into your NAS as the 'admin' user and running:

Code: Select all

uptime

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

wouldn't that just display uptime ?

what about

OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

It displays uptime and other things … ;)

It’s also easier to read than ‘top’.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

huh..I should give that a try

*tries*

displays uptime and load average ...ok

:)
nptvs671
Starting out

Post by nptvs671 »

Sure. Please see the attachment. I tried to open AppCenter while monitoring top updates. I saw a few process like notify_thread, birdnestd, kworker, hal_daemon, manaRequest.cgi were mostly showing up into..

<<Removed Attachment>> and added back in the second post from this one.
Last edited by nptvs671 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

best to take this down..the top output contains your email address..

post it once in code tags and censor your email out
nptvs671
Starting out

Post by nptvs671 »

I missed it. Thanks for letting me know. Will upload again. Thanks!
nptvs671
Starting out

Post by nptvs671 »

New Attachment
qnap-top-re.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nptvs671
Starting out

Post by nptvs671 »

Btw, am not running any containers but I guess Qnap runs many apps as containers.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

nptvs671 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:47 am Sure. Please see the attachment. I tried to open AppCenter while monitoring top updates. I saw a few process like notify_thread, birdnestd, kworker, hal_daemon, manaRequest.cgi were mostly showing up into..
Your system loads are a little high. The 15 minute average seems to be hovering somewhere around 5.0. For your dual-core (+HT) CPU, you would generally like it to be no-higher than 4.0 (although, the 2 x hyperthreads are not "real" cores, so 3.0 would be better). ;)

What QPKGs are installed? This command will generate a list of them:

grep '^\[\|^Enable' /etc/config/qpkg.conf
Please post the result back here into <code> tags.

Additionally, what are the make, model and capacity of your HDDs?

whocarez
New here

Post by whocarez »

Nas has direct access to internet?
Some malware might be running.

Sent from my RMX1931 using Tapatalk

JediNite
New here

Post by JediNite »

Considering I bought my TS-453Be a little over 3 years ago and now it's dead as a doornail, if you get 4 years+ on one of these units looks like you are doing well.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

Considering I bought my TS-453Be a little over 3 years ago and now it's dead as a doornail, if you get 4 years+ on one of these units looks like you are doing well.
Remember that the underlying cause is a design weakness in the specific Intel CPU that causes it to degrade over time.
It's not just QNAP devices that have suffered from this same failure mode with this CPU.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
JediNite
New here

Post by JediNite »

AlastairStevenson wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:55 pm
Remember that the underlying cause is a design weakness in the specific Intel CPU that causes it to degrade over time.
It's not just QNAP devices that have suffered from this same failure mode with this CPU.
Alistair, it's possible the fault with my unit is something different entirely though since the 100 ohm fix made no difference to the status though ? Could be some other underlying fault with the mainboard I guess.

Return to “Users' Corner”