Rolling back firmware?

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
mversion
Starting out

Re: Rolling back firmware?

Post by mversion »

euckse wrote:Ok great, but you did the downgrade the manual way right?
Indeed. Followed the instructions here: https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Manually_Updating_Firmware
Was pretty straightforward (apart from the aforementioned hiccups).
euckse
New here

Post by euckse »

Thanks for your answers. I actually tried the "automatic" way within the webinterface. After accepting all the warnings it continued as usual and started up fine! :)
It complained about Music Station and some more apps that I upgraded after 4.3. I simply deleted them and then reinstalled them again.

BUT! When I now try to install Logitech Media Server again the installer crashes at the same place as in 4.3!
It says that I should look for more info in syslog, but there's nothing in there...

Anyone in here good at this? :(
Rojo Habe
New here

Post by Rojo Habe »

I'm in a little mre trouble than the rest of you! Since upgrading to 4.3 I can't even get an IP address. The NAS can't find my router at all. I've tried putting a static IP in (outside the range of my router's DHCP pool) but even after applying it, the adapter still shows as having a 169.254 address.

Couple of questions (and please assume I'm an idiot; the NAS usually just sits there not bothering me so I don't tend to do much in the way of Linux commands):

1. Is there a nice handy link where I can download the latest version of QTS4.2?
2. What size USB flash drive will I need?
3. Does the NAS (TS-451, by the way) have a terminal app built in? I can't SSH onto it.

The manual update procedure didn't look anywhere as easy to me as it seems to be to you chaps, but bearing in mind I'll be on my hands and knees with a mouse and keyboard plugged into the unit, with very little in the way of unix experience, I think I've managed to make an expensive brick for the New Year.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Have you tried doing a "short reset"... i.e. Holdings reset button on back for like 3 seconds? This has fixed most people's Nw issue. Also I would only have 1 nw cable connected as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Rojo Habe wrote:1. Is there a nice handy link where I can download the latest version of QTS4.2?
Here's a link to the firmware download page. You'll need to specify your exact model as there are several models similar to yours.
Rojo Habe wrote:2. What size USB flash drive will I need?
The extracted image file (for my system) is currently about 175MB, so a USB stick larger than this should do.
Rojo Habe wrote:3. Does the NAS (TS-451, by the way) have a terminal app built in? I can't SSH onto it.
It does, it's called the console. To access it, you'll need to attach a keyboard and monitor directly to the NAS. Looks like your unit only has an HDMI interface, so I'm hoping this will show something:

Before you head down this path, though, you should follow Paul's advice and perform a basic system reset. :geek:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Rojo Habe
New here

Post by Rojo Habe »

Well I'll be! Short reset did the trick. Threw me a bit when I couldn't log in afterwards, until I realised the admin password had been reset to default...
now all I need to do is work out why Vitualisaton Staion is giving me a Page Not Found error and I can get my Vortexbox up and running again.

Thanks for the speedy responses.

Oh, and the HDMI port doesn't function as a console port, unfortunately. It's designed to give TV-friendly access to the multimedia apps. I was able to talk to it with a laptop plugged into the second LAN port though, so I can always use Putty from thereon, should the need arise in future.

So, Virtualisation Staion... something to do with the virtual switch...

Anyway, thanks again guys. I may end up rolling back anyway, but at least I'm back in business for now.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Rojo Habe wrote:Oh, and the HDMI port doesn't function as a console port, unfortunately. It's designed to give TV-friendly access to the multimedia apps.
Thank you for the info. Mine has the old VGA port which works for local (console) access.

My Pi 3 only has HDMI which performs the same function.

So, on your model NAS with HDMI - I was kinda hoping it would work the same. Now I know.

Glad you got it going again. :)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Rojo Habe wrote:...but at least I'm back in business for now.
Then now quickly go on and enable SSH (if it's disabled). Please remember that only admin (that's the actual admin account) can log in.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Rojo Habe wrote:Oh, and the HDMI port doesn't function as a console port, unfortunately. It's designed to give TV-friendly access to the multimedia apps. I was able to talk to it with a laptop plugged into the second LAN port though, so I can always use Putty from thereon, should the need arise in future.
CTRL-ALT-F2 should bring the console up.
Rojo Habe wrote:So, Virtualisation Staion... something to do with the virtual switch...
We have seen about two occurrences where the virtual switch has "lost" it's interface ...

# brctl show
... br0 8000.0008xxMACxxx No (STP) Interfaces eth1
... br1 8000.000000000000 No interfaces NONE (field blank)
... lxcbr0 8000.000000000000 No interfaces NONE (field blank)
# brctl addif br1 eth0
# brctl show br1
... br1 8000.0008xxMACxxx No (STP) Interfaces eth0

Note, that it can be also eth1. This change is not permanent, but should bring the virtual switch to the physical network again.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

schumaku wrote:CTRL-ALT-F2 should bring the console up.
Ah yes... of course. :geek:

jvnas
Starting out

Post by jvnas »

I just upgraded my 470PRO to 4.3.3 and now none of my VMware guests will start! I get different errors but for the most of them it says "failed to start the virtual machine (error - 18)". I want to back out of 4.3.3 but can't find anything that says that is supported. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
euckse
New here

Post by euckse »

Hi, can only say that roll back worked like a charm for me, even though it said that it wasn't supported, warned about it and so on. I would do a backup of your vm's (and all other important stuff) first, then roll back.
Wish you good luck!

// Joel.
Marc66
New here

Rolling back firmware?

Post by Marc66 »

After installing 4.3.3 final version on my TS-470, I had loads of issues. Here are the steps I took to downgrade:
1. I had previously saved the settings of my 4.2.4 configuration
2. I backed-up my NAS' important data files to an external disk
3. Using the Web interface, I went to the firmware upgrade section and selected the 4.2.4 firmware I had saved locally
4. After acknowledging the "warning" message, I proceeded with the downgrade
5. I rebooted my NAS
6. I restored my saved 4.2.4 settings
7. I rebooted again
8. I then installed 4.2.5 and rebooted again
9. The NAS was in some "unresponsive" state and I had to shut it down using the power button
10. When I turned it on, it was resyncing my RAID 10 array and it took half a day to complete. This unresponsive state and resyncing was a "leftover" from the resync bug in 4.3.3
11. I then rebooted and it went fine
12. I removed the new versions of the Apps and re-downloaded the old versions (the ones compatible with the 4.2.x firmware).

My NAS has been running as stable as before the 4.3.3 upgrade for a week now. No more high CPU usage, loss of Time Machine access, loss of shared folders' access, no more annoying exFAT license popup every time I insert an external drive and no more "Download station is disabled" warning (I only enable Download station when I need it, so it is almost always disabled)
krzysieq
Starting out

Post by krzysieq »

Hi all.
I just upgraded to 4.3.3 and can't help but wonder how come did such a half-baked product come out of testing phase? I'm probably not among the heaviest users, but I have a few things running on my TS-251+. All prior upgrades have been ever so smooth, I didn't hesitate when 4.3.3 was offered. And after the upgrade I can't start postgres 9.6, it reports as incompatible, but there's no compatible version to upgrade to. And thanks to that none of my webapps are coming up :( Seriously, did anyone in QNAP test this crappy release? The least they could've done was to issue a warning saying there are compatibility issues and no upgrades for some packages that restore compatibility. It's absolutely appalling, first time I'm really disappointed with my QNAP, which has been running like charm up to this point.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

krzysieq wrote:Hi all.
I just upgraded to 4.3.3 and can't help but wonder how come did such a half-baked product come out of testing phase? I'm probably not among the heaviest users, but I have a few things running on my TS-251+. All prior upgrades have been ever so smooth, I didn't hesitate when 4.3.3 was offered. And after the upgrade I can't start postgres 9.6, it reports as incompatible, but there's no compatible version to upgrade to. And thanks to that none of my webapps are coming up :( Seriously, did anyone in QNAP test this crappy release? The least they could've done was to issue a warning saying there are compatibility issues and no upgrades for some packages that restore compatibility. It's absolutely appalling, first time I'm really disappointed with my QNAP, which has been running like charm up to this point.
Did you read the release notes prior to upgrade? Did you run the 64-bit compatibility tool prior to upgrade to see which apps might have issues? Did your read the forums to see what issues others may have encountered? Did you backup your critical files beforehand? Or did you just click the button?

There is a x64 version of Postgres here:
https://www.qnapclub.eu/index.php?act=d ... pkg_id=239

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Return to “Users' Corner”