What kind of business software do you use with QNAP NAS?

Welcome note and must-know for QNAP Forum members.
PUY
Starting out

Re: What kind of business software do you use with QNAP NAS?

Post by PUY »

Engineering office in Miami Florida.

We use TS-509 Pro to store Autocad Drawings and to share information via FTP with Clients.

Like to see someone add a groupware application (sharing email, contacts, and calendars)....

We tried Desknow some time ago, but could not get it to work reliably.

PS: also like to see single login authentication and roaming profiles (but that might be too much to ask for from Qnap).
PUY (Miami, Florida)
----------------------------------------------------
Qnap TS-509 PRO
ReadyNas NV+
dtoubelis
New here

Post by dtoubelis »

We got one Qnap TS-509Pro about half a year ago and it is running at fill capacity with 5 x WD1002FBYS in RAID-5 configuration. We are using it as a repository as well as working area for multimedia files. Transfer rates of this NAS exceed local disk rates of most of our workstations, so people are increasingly using it not just for storage but as working area as well. We do video encoding, trans coding, resizing, packaging into different containers, creating DVD and BluRay disk images, etc. One half of our tools is on Windows with another half being on Linux.

Right now we have this storage filled to capacity and looking to buy TS-809U-RP unit but we are still not decided. We like transfer rates of this unit and we did not have any reliability issues (although half a year is not sufficient term to jump to any conclusions yet), however we still have some unresolved issues with access control from both Windows and Linux machines and our current purchasing decision is being delayed buy evaluating alternatives.
siasian
New here

Post by siasian »

Personally I wouldn't use it to back up my music let alone run business critical software on it. I have a 410 and to say it is unstable / unusable due to poorly designed firmware, and software that doesn't support modern 64 bit operating systems would be an understatement.

I'm in the Information Security business and there is no way I would use this system for anything but temporary storgage before transferring it else where.

Gary
T.Rob
New here

Post by T.Rob »

Hi Jason,

What I'd really like to do is run WebSphere MQ on a QNap device. I think it will run on the T-239 Pro if only I can figure out a way to get it to install. Is there a QPkg that lets me install RPM?

WebSphere MQ
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/integrat ... index.html

WMQ system reqs
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg27011929

-- T.Rob
Globetrotter
New here

Post by Globetrotter »

Hello,

The free webshop program Magento is one that could be supported by QNAP.
www.magentocommerce.com/download

Regs.
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

Globetrotter wrote:Hello,

The free webshop program Magento is one that could be supported by QNAP.
http://www.magentocommerce.com/download

Regs.
Actually it's already available as QPKG package for easy installation.

Andy
=============================================================>>>
TS-659-Pro [RAID6] rtorrent+SABnzbdplus+SickBeard+Couchpotato [Best PVR] Plex+PMS [Ultimate Streamer]
Apple iPad [Best Tablet] HTC One M8 [Mobile Phone] Samsung UA46ES6100 [My Screen] KRK Rokit 6 [Audio Speakers]
Chrome Cast [Screen Casting] Philips Hue [Personal Lighing]
Buffalo WZR-1750DHP [My Wifi Hub] D-Link DGS-1005D [Gbit Network]
=============================================================>>>
SaliesBuzz
Starting out

Post by SaliesBuzz »

We use our QNAP as the file server for all our files in a mixed workstation environment running different operating systems (Windows XP, Vista, 7, Opensuse 11.1,Mepis 8.0)
Currently all email is handled by Thunderbird using a shared profile on a mapped drive. Only one user at a time can access the profile as Tbird is not a networkable application. Planning to migrate all email to Pegasus which is a network app. Tbird runs like a dog under Windows 7 because of the read/writed when opening the profile. Well done Microsoft!
Our main apps are various photo editing packages and web design apps.
We also use the QNAP for media streaming to workstations, internet radios and a Dvico Tvix media player.

We have recommended QNAP to several of our clients and have one client who uses Sage Accounting running of the QNAP.

Will post more when I think of it!
QNAP TS-219p 2 x Samsung HD103UJ 1Tb FW:QTS 4.2.4 build 20170313
QNAP TS-121 WD-Red WD20EFRX 2Tb FW: QTS 4.2.4 build 20170313
EagleGT
New here

Post by EagleGT »

I use the QNAP TS-439 Pro for my virtual environment. 1x HP ML350 G5 (running with VMware ESX 3i) and the NAS as a SAN Disk (iSCSI). Is working fine!

On the ESX server are running 2 w2k3 and 3 w2k8 servers and also 2 workstations (vista & ubuntu) VM's without any performance issues.

cheers,
EagleGT
eldrich
Starting out

Post by eldrich »

Afraid to say that we are using our TS-410 as bulk storage iSCSI units while we upgrade our main SCSI disk arrays one-by-one. They work great because we migrate the data off the SCSI devices to the iSCSI ones, upgrade/reconfigure the SCSI arrays, reboot the server, continue sharing from the server using the TS-410, migrate the data back and then remove the iSCSI machines and move to the next server.
Managing to do one server every 2-4 days like this.
After this experience I think we will look to buying some 8bay rack mount units for future expansion of our system.
They were also usful as a 'cheap' way of investigating an iSCSI SAN before spending the big money on it.
Love the fact the machines run LInux because I understand that well.
rory
Know my way around

Post by rory »

dtoubelis wrote:We got one Qnap TS-509Pro about half a year ago and it is running at fill capacity with 5 x WD1002FBYS in RAID-5 configuration. We are using it as a repository as well as working area for multimedia files. Transfer rates of this NAS exceed local disk rates of most of our workstations, so people are increasingly using it not just for storage but as working area as well.
Likely you are running your box with link aggregation (port trunking) which supports even greater speeds coupled with load balancing for even better performance and capacity. There are several link modes. If your switch supports IEEE 802.3ad then this is the route to go. I run this with my unit and it screams.

EDIT> For those with boxes that support jumbo frames: < End Edit another performance boost can be gained by implementing jumbo frame support. Remember, you must implement jumbo frames across your network - the QNAP box, the switch, and the workstation. All devices need to be running the same frame rate. I recommend 4k MTU due to lower cycle rates of the processors in these boxes.
Last edited by rory on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
iMac 27" i7 / OS X 10.6.5
TS-259 Pro / RAID 1 / 2 x 1T WD Black / 3.2.1 1231T
TS-410 / RAID 6 / 2 x 750GB + 2 x 500GB WD Black / 3.5.1 Build 1002T
SMCGS8P-Smart Switch
PowerMAC
Been there, done that

Post by PowerMAC »

Rory,

The person you are quoting is using a TS-509 and that device does NOT have support for JF. For JF to be effective the whole chain needs to support it.
“Count the black dots, recount to confirm…” http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/lum_scGrid/index.html
rory
Know my way around

Post by rory »

PowerMAC wrote:Rory,

The person you are quoting is using a TS-509 and that device does NOT have support for JF. For JF to be effective the whole chain needs to support it.
You are correct that the 509 does not support jumbo frames. However, it does support link aggregation which was the point of my post. And you are also correct that jumbo frames must be implemented on all devices in the network to be properly supported - something I noted in my original post.

I added the bit about jumbo frames at the end as an additional way to squeeze more out of the ethernet interface. I'll make an edit to the previous post so that it applies more generically to the broad range of users who read these forums.
bidawson
Starting out

Post by bidawson »

We use ours with Veritas backup software and well as an FTP server and intranet server. Also have a few iSCSI connections running off it and a few network shares (software installs for the network shares). Was a little slow for an SQL database we placed on it so that came off but we have still got one small lowend database running on it.
mmontecchi
New here

Post by mmontecchi »

Hi,
we use the QNAP TS-439 Pro for our virtual VMware ESXi environment.
We use NFS share for now (ext4 with NO cache), but with the new fw from QNAP (that correct some bugs in iSCSI) we want to test iSCSI.

Massimo
rarnhold
Starting out

Post by rarnhold »

I can't specify a business software but I would like to use the NAS to store data to stay compliant. So support for an external USB BlueRay burner would be grate. And it should be possible to use the remote replication function on this device or the internal backup function. LG has just announced at CES such a NAS with a certificate for approved archiving.

Return to “Announcements”