What kind of business software do you use with QNAP NAS?

Welcome note and must-know for QNAP Forum members.
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

What kind of business software do you use with QNAP NAS?

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi guys,
We're now conducting a survery and would really appreciate your help if you can tell us what kind of business software/applications you are using in combination with QNAP NAS products. Some examples may include Quickbook, CRM, ERP, accounting (PeachTree), etc.

Simply reply to this thread and let us know your software options and usages.

Thanks in advance!

Jason
Soundy
Starting out

Re: What kind of business software do you use with QNAP NAS?

Post by Soundy »

We're using two TS-439 Pros with Vigil hybrid DVRs from 3xLogic. These are CCTV video recorders with up to 32 analog and megapixel-IP video channels, for a client that wants minimum 5fps on all cameras, and up to 90 days' retention, so extreme storage space is required.
rballplayer
Starting out

Post by rballplayer »

purchase:QNAP TS-439 Pro (3) WD1002FBYS 1TB (RAID5)

Small Real Estate office with 3 PC's 1 laptop all Vista. NAS used for files, photos and scanned legal documents both shared and private. QNAP is replacement / upgrade for 4+ year old Infrant NV+ purchased before NetGear buyout of Infrant. With speed of QNAP have configured all PC's for file storage on QNAP. Makes for easy backup by eSATA. No need for backup software running on PC's.

business software/applications: Our software needs are very light. Most of our paperwork, offers, contracts, advertising etc. is web based. But our backups must be secure, longterm and flawless. Plan to rotate and store off site eSATA backups.
OpenOffice
Acrobat PDF
Foxit PDF
PhotoShop
FastStone Image Viewer
QNAP TS-439 "For Work"
QNAP TS-509 "For Fun"

NetGear NV+ "FOR SALE" with 1 almost new WDC WD1002FBYS-02A6B03.0
EvilTed
Starting out

Post by EvilTed »

I guess I'm in a different camp from most of your customers.

Since I am buying the Qnap to replace a home brewed NAS that utlizes a Dell Server and 3Ware RAID controller (to minimize power usage), I really want full control of the box.

Because you wont give me full control of the Ubuntu server underneath and instead rely on a propriety packaging system (bad idea in my book), I'm just going to use the Qnap 809 Pro as a iSCSI target and setup an IP SAN connected to a MacMini.

The power savings of this over the previous setup should be considerable thanks to the energy saving features you provide.

By utilizing a MacMini and sharing everything via Samba I can get what I want with full control.

I really think you should run 64-Bit Ubuntu server on the high end devices and completely open it up to user configuration if this is what they desire.

Then all you would need is how to's and you would be selling a high power Linux server AND a NAS/SAN device all in one nice little neat package.

ET
LadyBug
New here

Post by LadyBug »

I run my own one person consulting company. Most of the Qnap use is basic backup/data storage but one of my business critical applications I'd like to use this with is Zimbra (basically a M$ Exchange/Outlook substitute).

I use Zimbra as a hosted service, but would like to have backup of everything locally. Currently I can use Zimbra Desktop client to download my stuff to my laptop and then back up to Qnap, but I'd really prefer that I could do without the intermediate step.

BTW, I do all of my bookkeeping/taxes etc with a SaaS type of service and if I require other financial/business applications SaaS is the way I'd be going. But in that case I'd like to have the backups local as well.
Threnody
Starting out

Post by Threnody »

Hi,

I use the QNAP 419u in my studio Soundpark Studio. For backup of audio and projects made in Protools and Logic. Also intend to use it as webserver and mailserver. What I am missing is VPN and Sync server for mobiles so we can share on the road. That is why I probably will go for a MacMini server for that. I use it in a mixed windows and mac environment. (Hopefully afp problems will be solved soon.... :wink: )
Probably going add a 410 just for rsync from the 419.

Cheers,
Henry
419P, 419U / MacBook Air 2008, MacMini Server 2009, MacMini Plex 2009, MacBook 2009, Imac 27" 2010, APC UPS SUA1500RMI2U and some bootcamp windooz.
tcnchoi
First post

Post by tcnchoi »

I am using TS-209PRO with MYOB Accounting program.

It used to be running very smooth in the older firmwares.

But for some reasons, it is so slow now with the newer 2.X firmware or latest 3.0 and 3.1 firmware. I don't know why.

Maybe because there are too many files (backup files) in one directory or shared folder?

Please take a look.

Thanks!
interfaSys
Starting out

Post by interfaSys »

I'm using as a lamp box, but would love to be able to use it for more.

Tried to install OpenERP, but IPKG is missing some key xml dev libraries. A real shame...
sebus
Starting out

Post by sebus »

Small branch of national charity. All documents (and backup of Thunderbird mailstore) stored on TS-219P in mirror mode with external 2.5" USB doing weekly scheduled backup.
Can't go wrong for the money!

sebus
crookedline
New here

Post by crookedline »

We are a small motion graphics and animation firm.

The idea is to have a centralized location for all our work files, from which our workstations and renderfarm can work.
Making the NAS look like a local disk. This should help us out with workflow, when we have one central network location. (instead of renaming file locations everytime you work on a different computer)

So far i am still trying to get the NAS working, but in general that is what i am aiming for.

With kind regards,
Menno Endt
http://www.crookedline.nl
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

crookedline wrote: So far i am still trying to get the NAS working, but in general that is what i am aiming for.
Hi Menno,
QNAP NAS is an ideal network storage unit for your consolidated files.
May I know what troubles you are having with your QNAP NAS in setup or usage?

Jason
PaoloB
First post

Post by PaoloB »

Hi
I'm using TS-109 Pro on several remote site along the road.
QNAP works as ftp server for data and images of vehicles.
I have a remote router in order to make a data download and web management of QNAP
lentzit
Been there, done that

Post by lentzit »

Multiple bransch offices use it for storing and sharing files on Lan and Wan
Also used as backup with to devices replicating per bransch office where one resides at second location for security reasons.

Devices we have are 2xx, 4xx and 5xx series
-TVS-663/16GB QTS 4.2 , RAID5
-QGenie QG-103N - Wireless Storage in Classroom Environment
-Services: WEB | Virtual Station | QSYNC | FTP | SSL | Private Cloud | Photo Station
-Using it for my blog (http://blog.lentzit.com)
Leer
New here

Post by Leer »

FTP server for ANSI EDI transfers
FTP server for Dedicated Micros DVR file dropping
Limited file server (No subfolder permissions in AD as a standalone device)
purezerg
Getting the hang of things

Post by purezerg »

TS-639Pro with 6x2Tb seagates
MS network folder only.
primarily to backup my workstation of 12x1Tb raid5 on adaptec 51245.

Return to “Announcements”