453A Rebooting-System Please wait... Stuck. How long is normal?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
pippero1974
Starting out

Re: 453A Rebooting-System Please wait... Stuck. How long is normal?

Post by pippero1974 »

Hi All,

I sincerely apologize to those who asked me to post screenshots of my BIOS settings etc. to help me overcome the issue where I could not upgrade the BIOS firmware. Unfortunately my work priorities kept me out of office for a very long time, during which I had no opportunities to put my hands on the NAS again.
I finally had the chance to read all the contributions from all of You here, so it looks like this BIOS fix actually works. Glad to hear that, I'll try it myself ASAP. I also read that the missing "BIOS lock" option was due to an incorrect BIOS entry procedure, where I missed the instruction to press CTRL+F1 to access the advanced BIOS settings.
I'll try again as soon as I have some time to go to my office.

Thanks all.
Filippo
nottooloud
Starting out

Post by nottooloud »

Took me some reading and some experimentation, figuring out how to SSH and then figuring out that I had to hold Ctrl & F1 all through the boot, not just press them in response to some prompt. QNAP's docs say to pull the drives and just turn it on to get to the BIOS screen, and that didn't happen. But here I am, it just shut down and rebooted cleanly after a firmware update.

Thanks, all.
TS-853A, backed up to a TS-869Pro, both full of HGST HDN724040ALE640
tsic_ntic
First post

Post by tsic_ntic »

Hi all,

Here, same problem with a TS-653A.
here is the PDF from the email from QNAP support.
https://framadrop.org/r/fKIQMn_pIA#R/w ... 5RbrFvnqw=

It works perfectly.
ech1965
Starting out

Post by ech1965 »

Hi !

Can someone give precise instructions on how to enter advanced set up ? when do I have to entre ctrl+f1 ?

* during POST
* once in bios configuration screen?
* does the usb port the keyboard is plugged in matter ?
... Thanks !
Etienne
nottooloud
Starting out

Post by nottooloud »

ech1965 wrote:Hi !

Can someone give precise instructions on how to enter advanced set up ? when do I have to entre ctrl+f1 ?

* during POST
* once in bios configuration screen?
* does the usb port the keyboard is plugged in matter ?
... Thanks !
Etienne
Hold Ctrl & F1 all through the bootup. Doesn't matter which USB.
ech1965
Starting out

Post by ech1965 »

nottooloud wrote:
Hold Ctrl & F1 all through the bootup. Doesn't matter which USB.
Thanks, Currently backuping my nas on another one before trying out Again !

First attempt lead to exactly the same situation as viewtopic.php?t=120457&start=60#p629888

Did not dare to reboot the nas yet !

I'll keep posted
nottooloud
Starting out

Post by nottooloud »

Worked for me, and has continued to work through 2 firmware upgrades.
ech1965
Starting out

Post by ech1965 »

Hello !

I finally managed to update the BIOS et EC firmware.

* I had to plug the keyboard in one of the ports on the back panel. ( maybe an incompatibility between my keyboard and the usb3 port ??)
* As recommended by QNAP support, I unplugged all the disks ( make failed attempts to go into BIOS take less time to recover ..)
* I continuously hit ctrl and F1 at the highest rate possible until I managed to get into the BIOS

So right now, BIOS is updated...hoping the reboot problem is solved !

Etienne
idogan
New here

Post by idogan »

Hi
I have TS-453A and had same rebooting stuck problem
I updated BIOS and EC firmware
But after that It can not boot
I tried firmware recovery because It said it can not find bootable medium (something similar)
Looks like dom.img corrupted

Than I have done firmware recovery using the guide in https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Recovery
But It started entering test mode only not regular OS. It looks like firmware is not correct in that page
So I need original dom.img or full original firmware which I can not find.
Could you please help me
jgrove
Starting out

Post by jgrove »

idogan wrote:Hi
I have TS-453A and had same rebooting stuck problem
I updated BIOS and EC firmware
But after that It can not boot
I tried firmware recovery because It said it can not find bootable medium (something similar)
Looks like dom.img corrupted

Than I have done firmware recovery using the guide in https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Recovery
But It started entering test mode only not regular OS. It looks like firmware is not correct in that page
So I need original dom.img or full original firmware which I can not find.
Could you please help me
I think you will need the help of QNAP to solve this, best raise a ticket
idogan
New here

Post by idogan »

I solved myself
I am an experienced computer user. But it was very hard to do.
I used trial and error method.
It is a shame for QNAP because it is actually pretty easy.
But there is no documentation, nothing.
Existing ones are deficient for some steps.
They just ignore or forget to write some step
Here is the things found out my self.
It may help someone
1) Bios upgrade actually solves stuck in the reboot issue.
In order to do this and in addition to current bios upgrade procedure
- To enter the bios : Connect with TV using HDMI (Some old Sony LCD TV's are not compatible. My Sony didn't work but newer some worked) in order to screen. After pressing power button of NAS you need to keep pressing until you see bios screen . You may need to change USB setting to cover new Usb drive (Don't disable anything Just enable the disabled ones for USB), Otherwise It can not see some USB drives.
- To enter the BOOT menu of BIOS : After pressing power button, keep pressing F7 until you see boot menu. Once you get there you may see 2 options for USB drive. First one is not working for me but the second one is working
When you finish bios upgrade You may see your NAS can not booting since It is boot files corrupted (dom.img file)
If this happen you need to recover your firmware

You can use this how to https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Recovery in this address
This file in this link http://eu1.qnap.com/Storage/tsd/fullima ... pecial.img is the suggested one .
But İf you rename this as dom.img and copy to the /dev/sdb using this command:

[~]# cp dom.img /dev/sdb

this is also deficient because dom.img in the usb not in the root. you need to find out where it is.

After you finished successfully and reboot, Qnap operating is not started what you expect. A test firmware started. There is a message on the NAS small screen "Ready for test ver 1.3...." In this one QNAP finder can see on the network. When I try to enter web GUI, It was not working
Initialy I tought it was wrong , incompatible firmware, I tried different ones. It took many hours. None of worked.

Some of these steps need windows which I don't have in my home. I have macbook. I used virtualbox and windows to use Rufus

Finaly I started to play with QNAP finder, Accidentally I saw there is "firmware update" in the menu. I downloaded latest TS-453A firmware from the snap website, unzip and then I upgraded firmware with QNAP Finder Pro. Surprisingly It worked. TS-453A can boot with normal OS.
Is is working now but problems not finished yet.

I have many family photos and videos not seen on my disks
I have 3 disks, configured as RAID 5.
When I was started I chosed the keep files option which system asked.
But my multimedia folder was not there.

I started using trial and error again then when I reinstalled video station, music station, media streaming add-on my missing folders magically appeared again. All of my data is recovered now.

But I had to discover all of things my self, no help files.
QNAP help only had one option to me , They say "Return your unit".
All of my data is there.
Additionally If I would accept return the unit, Shipping cost will be close to half of the unit cost.
immolatus
New here

Post by immolatus »

My system was also suffering from this hanging issue. The most typical case was that when there is a firmware update detected and the NAS suggests to reboot before installing the update. That will basically lead to hanging every time!

So, I followed the steps from page 5 on this thread and had my TS-453A updated with the QX47AR50.bin and QX47EC20.BIN. Everything went smoothly and this far things work OK. One thing to note: The suffix for EC firmware file is capital "BIN" while for BIOS it's lowercase "bin"... I first typoed that but noticed the mistake before rebooting 8)

Also, one observation about the original hanging issue: Now when I had monitor connected to NAS I was able to see what happens when the system was hanging: Even the monitor went to "no signal" state, so the system was pretty much down when the hanging took place. So, no busy mounts or similar OS level stuff for me at least. So, the BIOS update sounds pretty much correct fix for the issue.

Let's see how system performs in the future...
baximus
Starting out

Post by baximus »

For me everything was fine after bios update till last one or two firmwares.
Lately I am having same issues as before.
I am about to upgrade to latest firmware from Apr 2018 and see what happens.
Is there newer bios?
IT Guy
New here

Post by IT Guy »

I have a TS-831X that has been having this problem for about the past 6 firmware updates. It's quite frustrating. I will try manually updating and pray that it helps, because I know a hard shut down multiple times isn't good for the drives and file system. Every time I perform an update, I worry will be the last time I can access the NAS.
baximus
Starting out

Post by baximus »

My TS-453A is getting stuck on almost every reboot.
I am about to give up on QNAP if their support does not resolve the issue permanently.

Return to “Miscellaneous”