ARM based TS-119 internet comm problems after upgrade to 4.3.3.0238

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
oyvindo
Experience counts

ARM based TS-119 internet comm problems after upgrade to 4.3.3.0238

Post by oyvindo »

Hi all,
After upgrading to 4.3.3.0238 two days ago, this small (but very reliable) NAS has problem connecting to the internet.
Funny thing is that connections to all other devices on the LAN works well, so definitely there is no fundamental problems with HW or IPv4 communication over Ethernet.
I noticed the problem when Antivirus failed to update. Then I noticed also that communication with my UPS kept connecting and disconnecting all the time. Overnight it generated several hundred connect/disconnects to the UPS which is hosted by another NAS. Connection to internet isn't completely dead it seems as I eventually managed to update antivirus after several retires. I have another NAS connected as a slave to the same UPS, and updated to the same version and build of QTS, and it has no such problems with the UPS keep-alive.

The situation is somewhat difficult to debug:

1. LAN communication works perfect; 14-18 MB/s file transfer rate between any Windows PC and the NAS as well as NAS-to-NAS
2. Internet communication is very unstable, and slow (totally unusable).
3. This NAS is UPS slave to another NAS. FIle transfer between the two works perfect, but UPS "keep-alive" has big trouble.

The above indicates to me that there is some protocol problems with certain protocols. I don't know which protocol the UPS system uses, but I suspect it is some sort of SNMP (?).

I haven't changed anything after the upgrade to QTS 4.3.3.0238 from the previous build of 4.3.3
All my NAS has static IP, and has always had that. I have checked for IP conflicts and there is none. my DHCP scope is set outside the range of my servers and switches which all have static IP addresses. This has not been changed since I set it up 3 years ago.

this NAS used to be rock stable until 2 days ago.

Opening a ticket to QNAP from this NAS doesn't work as it relies on a working internet connection. It times out consistently on any attempt to initiate internet traffic. My other NAS's on the same LAN connected to the same switch has no internet connection problems at all.

[EDIT 20170720] Today, I discovered by chance that if I log in to the NAS from internet, using QManager, then for some mysterious reason, the problem disappears while I'm logged in. As soon as I log out from the NAS (using QManager over the internet), the problem reappears again. I can see this cause I'm monitoring the web interface simultaneously on my LAN.
I also discovered that if I reboot the NAS, It fails to log in to the Web interface. But if I Putty into it first (which always works on the first attempt), then the Web interface login immediately works as it should, and it continues to work even if I log out from Putty.

Weird!

Any ideas, anyone?
ImageImageImage
Jase001
Getting the hang of things

Re: ARM based TS-119 internet comm problems after upgrade to 4.3.3.0238

Post by Jase001 »

Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the exact same issue with a TVS-1282. Ups dropping off and unable to load certain pages in the control centre, such as Network and Virtual Switch app. Also when applying changes the nas just hangs then advised the nas is busy or network has disconnected. Qnap support remote connected into my nas this morning and played around with it for nearly 2 hrs. However within an hour of them disconnecting the same issues reoccurred. Any help/advise would be greatly received.
Jay

Model: TVS-1282 i5 16GB FW: 4.3.4.0516 Build: 20180315
Disks: [RAID-5] 4 x 4TB WD RED SSD Cache: [RAID-5] 2 x 500gb Samsung Evo 850
UPS: CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD. Backup: TS-453A 8TB WD RED
Media Boxes: Nvidia ShieldTV Pro (4K), AppleTV 4
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Yes, the problem was with my router which had been reset remotely by my ISP and consequently lost the custom settings for DHCP scope. Once I restored the correct scope, it works just fine again.
ImageImageImage
Jase001
Getting the hang of things

Post by Jase001 »

Thanks for your quick reply. I have my own router and have not changed any settings. My previous qnap worked just fine with none of these issues. However my new NAS hangs just like you described. What did you change in your router/DHCP to fix this problem? Thanks in advance
Jay

Model: TVS-1282 i5 16GB FW: 4.3.4.0516 Build: 20180315
Disks: [RAID-5] 4 x 4TB WD RED SSD Cache: [RAID-5] 2 x 500gb Samsung Evo 850
UPS: CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD. Backup: TS-453A 8TB WD RED
Media Boxes: Nvidia ShieldTV Pro (4K), AppleTV 4
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

I just restored the DHCP scope, which in my case was 10-254
When my ISP reset (killed) the scope, it caused overlapping/conflicting IP since all my NAS's have fixed IP.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Miscellaneous”