VPN Recommendations

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Don
Guru

VPN Recommendations

Post by Don »

Looking for recommendations for VPN client access using QVPN. PIA and NordVPN seem to be popular. There is a review of VPN providers here https://thebestvpn.com/. Nordvpn came in second and PIA was ninth. What are you using and what are the pros and cons of your service? Had any issues? Easy to set up on QNAP?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
TPLINK
Getting the hang of things

Re: VPN Recommendations

Post by TPLINK »

Don wrote:Looking for recommendations for VPN client access using QVPN. PIA and NordVPN seem to be popular. There is a review of VPN providers here https://thebestvpn.com/. Nordvpn came in second and PIA was ninth. What are you using and what are the pros and cons of your service? Had any issues? Easy to set up on QNAP?
WEhy should i advice you?

In most cases u advice users to search the forum, because it has been answered lots of time, and else... you tell to to R.T.F.M ... :?:
Last edited by TPLINK on Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TS-2888X-W2133-64G 10Tb WD-Red Qsubsonic, Storage, backup
Acer Aspire 16Gb 8th gen. I7 Windows 10 Home 64Bits
1Tb free Stack
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

PIA is great. easy to use on desktop, or router or even on qnap. there's even a chrome plugin if you want to use that instead. lots of options and just convenient for ease of setup/use.

from testing, it does hide your ip, but i have to enable the pia kill switch (desktop) and disallow ipv6 (router or qnap). For QNAP PIA QVPN setup, i have to additionally in QTS disable ipv6 for it to not leak.

i'm not sure if it can hit 1gbps .... but for my own use, i get fast enough speeds and anonymity.

using a gateway half way across the world, downloading using torrent

if i wanted better performance and latency, i notice if i pick a gateway closer to my location it fares better. for best is to disable vpn entirely.

i heard nordvpn was also good but there was some recent drama about them possibly reselling bandwidth. not sure if it's true or not
https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/08/30 ... _are_wrong

one issue that bugs me is the pia kill switch. last time when i had that enabled, i could still use stuff like qfinder as it would detect locally connected device. but recently past year, something changed, so when i toggle that feature on, it makes local devices inaccessible to apps like qfinder. only solution is for me to disable the kill switch, while i use qfinder. and when i'm done, i enable it back again :' it's annoying.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

TPLINK wrote:
Don wrote:Looking for recommendations for VPN client access using QVPN. PIA and NordVPN seem to be popular. There is a review of VPN providers here https://thebestvpn.com/. Nordvpn came in second and PIA was ninth. What are you using and what are the pros and cons of your service? Had any issues? Easy to set up on QNAP?
WEhy should i advice you?

In most cases u advice users to search the forum, because it has been answered lots of time, and else... you tell to to R.T.F.M ... :?:
You don't have to advise. I don't remember seeing a thread asking users for their experiences with different VPN providers and thought I'd start one.

You are right that I sometimes tell people to search the forum or read the manual when the question has been asked dozens of times or is well documented in the manual. Others do the same also. It gets tiring answering the same questions over and over again because the posters are too lazy to search the forum or read the manual. You are perfectly welcome to provide the answers when I reply to search and/or read. I have been providing support on this forum for almost 11 years. You have been doing it for 3 months. Provide support for the next 10 years and then come back and let me know how you feel.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
spacereaper82
New here

Post by spacereaper82 »

Hi there :wink: ,
NordVPN offers great compatibility with QNAP, so, I use this service.
1. The developer's website provides detailed manuals on how to set up the client :idea: (https://nordvpn.com/ru/tutorials/qnap-nas/openvpn/), therefore you won't have any difficulties with the installation.
2. Despite a bit more expensive monthly pricing, it offers double VPN and Tor features, anti-malware protection, SOCKS5 proxies, dedicated IP addresses. Most analogs don't come with all these features.
There are a lot of reviews (I usually search for VPNs here - http://vpnservicepro.com/) where this client takes the first position, so I think the better option than Pia.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

first time poster links to some vpn check site? (just a refferal aggregator to make some $$$)

smells spammy to me
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Hey Don - I have been leveraging the VPN service provided by newshosting.com with good results. Standard OVPN files provided, large list of locations internationally, etc.
http://newshosting.com
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
spacereaper82
New here

Post by spacereaper82 »

dolbyman wrote:first time poster links to some vpn check site? (just a refferal aggregator to make some $$$)

smells spammy to me
Even though it might seem spammy for you, it's really not making NordVPN become worse)
You can look through a myriad of reviews, and you will finally find out that this is the best option to use with QNAP.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Thanks all that have contributed. I decided on NordVPN even before spacereaper82 posted. A 2yr deal is $3.99/mo with a 30 day money back guarantee. Downloading 3 torrents now at a speed of 20MB/s. So far so good.

spacereaper82
New here

Post by spacereaper82 »

Don wrote:Thanks all that have contributed. I decided on NordVPN even before spacereaper82 posted. A 2yr deal is $3.99/mo with a 30 day money back guarantee. Downloading 3 torrents now at a speed of 20MB/s. So far so good.
As far as I know, all VPNs come with a 1-month guarantee, so, you'll be able to get a full refund if something goes wrong with any service.
micjustin33
New here

Post by micjustin33 »

spacereaper82 wrote:Hi there :wink: ,
NordVPN offers great compatibility with QNAP, so, I use this service.
1. The developer's website provides detailed manuals on how to set up the client :idea: (https://nordvpn.com/ru/tutorials/qnap-nas/openvpn/), therefore you won't have any difficulties with the installation.
2. Despite a bit more expensive monthly pricing, it offers double VPN and Tor features, anti-malware protection, SOCKS5 proxies, dedicated IP addresses. Most analogs don't come with all these features.
There are a lot of reviews (I usually search for VPNs here - http://vpnservicepro.com/) where this client takes the first position, so I think the better option than Pia.
Have you ever compared Nordvpn with Expressvpn? I can see some good features in expressvpn but nordvpn coming up with more security options. I was reading the comparison (here https://www.onlineprivacytips.co/compar ... xpressvpn/) and found that they have good features and top notch vpn in industry. However Express is bit expensive then Nordvpn but not least in security.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Just wanted to report back. A little over a month and NordVPN is working great.

Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

[youtube=]M5N51k0o_8A[/youtube]

:shock:
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
John_Hitts
New here

Post by John_Hitts »

What are my poor knowledge, as it turned out in this thread. I thought that with VPN clients everything is much simpler. But I see that among the ones presented above there are many different interesting options.

Return to “Miscellaneous”