Unbearable noise

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
pommie
Starting out

Unbearable noise

Post by pommie »

Hi,

I recently purchase a TVR 673 NAS with 6 x WD 8TB disks.
The NAS is sitting in my office next to me.

The Vibration noise that it makes is not acceptable, I still have my Synology DS1010 sitting on shelve above it and there is no noise from that.
I purchase some rubber mat to sit in on in the hope the noise would quieten but i still find it at times too noisy.

If i grab the NAS or hold it tight for a few seconds the noise subsides but then will come back again.

Is there anything i can do to reduce or eradicate this noise as i cant work.

Thanks
OneCD
Guru

Re: Unbearable noise

Post by OneCD »

Maybe relocate your NAS into a small soundproof cabinet or server-room?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
pommie
Starting out

Post by pommie »

To be honest i didnt think i would need to and dont really want to spent extra cash and uproot all existing hardware. I have a fanless switch in my office and a Synology NAS and no noise at all.
Its not even the fans in the QNAP that are noisy is the construction / vibration.

Ill submit a support ticket but i fear this is a design fault.
flagator
Know my way around

Post by flagator »

WD mentions somewhere that the Red 8TB is significantly louder than their smaller Red series drives due to design differences. That may be the issue. I have one 8TB in a dock and it seems to makes more noise than four 4TB Reds combined.
Dan

TVS-473-8GB
QTS Version 4.3.4.0695 Build 2018/08/30
Storage Pool 1 - HDD Volume1 - Four WD Red 4TB in RAID 6 - Thick-Provisioned
NAS backup to WD Red 8TB via USB Dock
CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD
Gigabit home network
pommie
Starting out

Post by pommie »

I moved back to Synology. Brought a DS1517+ and swapped the hard disks over.

No noise. Problem solved.
flagator
Know my way around

Post by flagator »

pommie wrote:I moved back to Synology. Brought a DS1517+ and swapped the hard disks over.

So you put the same 8TB WD reds in the Synology and that corrected the noise issue? I assumed the drives themselves were the issue.
Dan

TVS-473-8GB
CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD
Gigabit home network
pommie
Starting out

Post by pommie »

flagator wrote:
pommie wrote:I moved back to Synology. Brought a DS1517+ and swapped the hard disks over.

So you put the same 8TB WD reds in the Synology and that corrected the noise issue? I assumed the drives themselves were the issue.
Appears not, i can only assume the vibrations were from the build of the chassis.
jds580s
Know my way around

Post by jds580s »

I was able to solve this noise/vibration problem on a TVS-1282
I'm not sure if the drive trays are similar enough on the TVS-673 to work for that model as well, but a few image searches seem to make the mounting and rail system look nearly identical.

I did 3 things at the same time so I'm unsure which one, or combination, really stopped the vibration sound but they are all easy to do so no harm in completing all 3. Since then my NAS has been silent.

The only material needed is some small rubber bands. If you are familiar with a children's toy that was popular a few years ago called a Rainbow Loom, I used a pack of bands intended for that. They come in a few material varieties. I opted for the silicone ones because I wanted to use them to help secure heat sink fins onto my M.2 drives and silicone holds up well with high heat. They cost a dollar or two for more than you'll need. For this anti-vibration work the material likely doesn't matter.

First I shutdown the NAS and powered it off, then proceeded to pull out each drive tray and do the following.
1. I popped off the plastic mounting rails that hold the drive in place and added one band cut in half and laid flat to sit between the tray and the edges of the drive where they would touch. This should isolate the drive from the edges of the tray.
2. When reinstalling the rails I put 3 bands around them before snapping them in place. This should isolate the tray from the chassis of the NAS
3. Last I used screws to mount to the drive to the tray (using the holes on the bottom of the drive). My HGST drives only had 3 holes that lined up with the tray so I filled those 3 with screws. This was to prevent any possible movement between the bottom of the tray and the bottom of the drive.

Then I reinstalled that drive tray and moved on to the next one.

It's been about a month and I have no noticeable vibrations coming from the drives/trays, just the sound of the fans spinning and air moving which is very minimal under normal load.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Model: TVS-1282-i5-16G

[list]
[*]Firmware: QTS 4.5.3.1652 build 20210428
[*]Network: 10GbE ASUS XG-C100C card, MTU 9k
[*]RAID 1: [System] 2x WD Blue M.2 SSD 250GB
[*]RAID 6: [DATA] 5x HGST HDN728080ALE604 8TB
[list]
[*] Qtier RAID 1: 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB + 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
[*] Cache RAID 1: 2x Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2 in two NGFF PCIe 3.0 x4 adapter cards[/list][/list]
Model: TS-459 Pro
[list]
[*]Firmware: QTS 4.2.6 build 20210327
[*]RAID 6: 2x HGST HDN724030ALE640 3TB, x2 Seagate ST3000VN000 3TB
[*]External: 4TB HGST eSATA Drive, UPS
[*]Network: 1 Gbps, MTU 1500[/list]
[/color]
flagator
Know my way around

Post by flagator »

Thank you for sharing the nice how-to jds580s. Good stuff.
Dan

TVS-473-8GB
CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD
Gigabit home network
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

jds580s wrote:I did 3 things at the same time so I'm unsure which one, or combination, really stopped the vibration sound but they are all easy to do so no harm in completing all 3.
I would do #3 first simply because no additional equipment is required and it's also the easiest and fastest to do.
jds580s wrote:3. Last I used screws to mount to the drive to the tray (using the holes on the bottom of the drive).
I have always used screws on all my NASes and never had any problems with vibrations.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
cbapel
New here

Post by cbapel »

I own a tvs-1282 and had similar noise/vibration problem that I solved by screwing the drives to the tray (as above only 3 holes line up). Hope it works for you.
TVS-1282 i7-6700 32gb (FW 4.4.3)
- System [ QM2-4P-384 4x 960 EVO Plus 1tb (RAID10) ]
- Storage1 Qtier [ 4x 850 EVO 1tb (RAID10) + 8x WD Red 8tb (RAID10) ] - Cache [ QM2-2P-344 2x 960 EVO 1tb (RAID1) ]
- Storage2 [ 2x 860 EVO 1tb (RAID1) ]
- LAN-10G2T-X550 - PSU 450w - Noctua 3x NF-A8 PWM + 1x NF-A6 PWM
- UPS CyberPower PR1000 - HybridBackup (ext disks + Backblaze B2)
JanL65
New here

Post by JanL65 »

I have the TS-253be ... with plastic cabinet - bought normally (in october 2018) :

now for some time, it has been "humming" ... getting louder and louder ...

Until yesterday, I thought it was either the fan or harddisc (WD-red-4TB).

But ...it was THE removable FRONT-PLATE !!
(minute it came off, peace came ... what a relief ...)
(so, now I am back to a ROUGH unprotected HDD-bay exposed, and not beautifull NAS !!).

So far, I haven't made up my mind, and don't know what could be done about this ...
- a "non-solution" is to get a new unit (exchange) - because the new one will have the same problem (because it is a combination of plastic and "not tightend-enough" fitting of the frontplate).
- "taping" the right places, could do the job, just maybe" (and it will make the unit less worth, if glue cannot be removed pre-sale without ruining the plastic) ... so, it leaves me in doubt .... and, I am also puzzled by the fact, that nothing is "rattling/buzzing" (which loose plastic does, normally) - it is instead this "humming / resonating" sound, that strangely is what the "loose" frontplate makes (with different volume - seemingly depending on the "plate-cabinet mechanics/position") !!!

Really a bummer, for Qnap's part ... I mean, Synology has now for ages made plastic-cabinets - without this happening !! (they do, although, have problems with screw-holes getting ruined and insecure, after just 1-2 screw-in/outs ... so, Synology isn't at all perfect! - but noise-wise Synology doesn't have the "design-flaws"!!).
Tober27
New here

Post by Tober27 »

Removed. Wrong Thread.
Last edited by Tober27 on Sat May 23, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Tober27 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:57 am DS418play is what I have.
This is a forum for Qnap users. The knowledge about Synology products should be better over on the the Synology forum that you find here. Good luck!
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Tober27
New here

Post by Tober27 »

P3R wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:56 pm This is a forum for Qnap users. The knowledge about Synology products should be better over on the the Synology forum that you find here. Good luck!
Oops. Thanks!

Return to “Miscellaneous”