transcoding before upload to nas

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
embra13
New here

transcoding before upload to nas

Post by embra13 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:57 pm

Hi,
I have a huge collection of movies and boxsets which I'm in the process of transcoding and uploading to my qnap nas using qfinder pro. All's been going well so far but now I've hit a snag. I have some .avi files, and no matter what I do, these files refuse to transcode.
For some avi files, I've opened avidemux, and saved as mp4, and this worked for some files, but for others it didn't.
I've tried various other converters to see if that does the trick, but nope, it doesn't.
I'm using qfinder pro version 7.4.1.0910, the latest. My nas is a qnap ts-328.
So if anybody knows why some files won't transcode I'd be happy to know.
Regards,
Ronnie

dolbyman
Guru

Re: transcoding before upload to nas

Post by dolbyman » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:09 pm

exactly why do you transcode? and how?

just upload them via windows file explorer (no qfinder needed) and play them back via your (unknown) playback method

embra13
New here

Post by embra13 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Hi dolbyman,
thanks for getting back to me, and apologies for the delay in replying.
I use qfinder pro to transcode before uploading as I can get a uniform quality which is web optimized for all my devices, from my phone to the biggest TV, and all things in between. This way I do away with all the stuttering during play which I used to get, and it lets the NAS get on with the job of streaming my stuff instead of having to multi task and transcode.
The problem I have is that not all files will transcode even if the have been created by the same means at the same time. Is this possibly down to codecs?
At present I use a couple of converters on my windows pc and this can do the trick for some files.
I decided to roll back to an earlier edition of qfinder pro, vers. 6.9.2.0706 (July 2020 release), an lo and behold this worked for 99% of files I asked it to transcode. Now curiosity got the better of me, and I decided I'd try the later version 7.4.1.0914 (Sept 2020) and this didn't work, by that I mean that nothing got transcoded, or very little did. So my conclusion is that the latest edition of qfinder pro is at fault. This little test was done on my windows machine.
On the latest mac version the ability to upload has been added to qfinder pro, but transcode doesn't work most of the time. Previous versions of qfinder pro for mac didn't have the ability to upload.

Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:12 pm

its likely a codec problem - i.e. you dont have the codec on your pc/mac needed to decode the files

You would be better off learning how to do it with ffmpeg as that can do almost anything as it has codecs built in - yes there is a learning curve but once past that - it should be easy enough to convert the problematic files (poss encoded with divx or xvid as avi files)
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:29 pm

web connected devices?..ohoh..I hope you use a vpn for thise and dont expose your NAS to the web

Iinstead of all those transcoding shenanigans I would use an old computer or a nuc for a plex server ..with enough CPU grunt, you dont even need to buy a plexpass for real time transcoding.
files can remain on the NAS and are just held there

Return to “Miscellaneous”