Migrate existing disks - TS-653b > TVS-672XT

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
kingyr
New here

Migrate existing disks - TS-653b > TVS-672XT

Post by kingyr »

Hi all,

I have been running a TS-653b with 6x 16TB drives (RAID 10) + QM2 expansion card with 2x 1TB NVMe drives. I primarily use the 653b as a Plex server and storage for bits and pieces.

I had recently acquired a TVS-672XT and wanted to see what we thought about moving the disks across without loss of data? According to QNAP's Compatibility for NAS Migration, this is a simple swap.

Has anyone done something like this in the past and was everything ok? Any help would be much appreciated :)

Cheers!
King
P3R
Guru

Re: Migrate existing disks - TS-653b > TVS-672XT

Post by P3R »

kingyr wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:13 am I have been running a TS-653b with 6x 16TB drives (RAID 10)...
RAID 6 is probably a better choice than RAID 10 for your application as it offer:
  • Better performance for sequential loads
  • More usable storage capacity
  • Better reliability
... + QM2 expansion card with 2x 1TB NVMe drives.
Used for what?
I had recently acquired a TVS-672XT and wanted to see what we thought about moving the disks across without loss of data? According to QNAP's Compatibility for NAS Migration, this is a simple swap.
The only question mark would be for the SSDs on an expansion card.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
kingyr
New here

Post by kingyr »

Hey P3R,

Thanks for the reply! I am OK with my RAID arrangement at the moment, no dramas with lesser storage, I find both to be quite reliable, I just much prefer the better rebuild times on a 10 in the case of a drive failure.

QM2 is currently used as 'Ultra-High Speed Tiering', going to wait for the activity to stop on the NAS and see if I can remove it from the storage pool.

Cheers,
King
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

kingyr wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:09 pm QM2 is currently used as 'Ultra-High Speed Tiering', going to wait for the activity to stop on the NAS and see if I can remove it from the storage pool.
Unless it was added very recently and I missed it, you can't back out of a tier configuration.

I think that you have no other option than to trust Qnap. Make sure that all data that have any value is backed up externally and hope for the best. Good luck!
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
kingyr
New here

Post by kingyr »

Ohhh I see! haha hmm... there is an 'Ultra-High Speed Tier Removal Wizard' section, but you may be right - it's greyed out at the moment and I can't pull the QM2 out of it.

Will be starting the backup soon! It will be a while before I move across :D

Thank you for your help - very much appreciated!

Return to “Miscellaneous”