what is this Firewall email notification?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Oceanslider
Starting out

what is this Firewall email notification?

Post by Oceanslider »

Need help understanding the below Firewall notification.

I just installed the Firewall because it was recomended in Security Counselor. I just installed it and turned it on. I did not have much time to really look into it. I don't access my NAS outside my personal network so figured it might be okay to turn it on without reading up on it much.

I get this email notification it seems every hour now.

" [Warning][QuFirewall] Notification from your device: TS-453Be

NAS Name: TS-453Be
Severity: Warning
Date/Time: 2021/06/20 10:15:01

App Name: QuFirewall
Category: Firewall Events
Message: [QuFirewall] In time of 2021-06-20 09:45:00 ~ 2021-06-20 10:15:01, the denied amount reach the set threshold: 30.
"
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Re: what is this Firewall email notification?

Post by AlastairStevenson »

Are you deliberately or inadvertently allowing access to the NAS from the internet?
If so, this is a high-risk scenario in terms of hacking attempts.

Check the origin of the blocked packets in the NAS log, to determine if they are from outside your network.
If so, check / confirm that UPnP is not enabled on your router, and that MyQNAPCloud is not enabled.

Back in January, QNAP did suggest this type of message was a bug that would be fixed, but I don't know if it was.
The general opinion on this forum is that the QNAP firewall is a poorly thought out and implemented app that is best ignored.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.

Return to “Miscellaneous”