TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
rafale
Easy as a breeze

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by rafale »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:44 pm the non t model is just missing the thunderbolt addon card
Exactly... It is exactly the same motherboard. Even the 872N and 672N which have a different embedded ethernet chip so a slightly different board have the same problem so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Server: TVS-872XT i9 9900 ES, 64GB DDR4 2666MHz, intel X550-T2, Asus RTX3070 Dual OC (On pico PSU), 2x Phison E12 1TB M.2, 4x Micron 5210 7.68TB, 4x WD Purple 4TB
Backup NAS: TS-473 20GB DDR4 2400MHz, Mellanox ConnectX3, 2x Samsung PM871b 256GB M.2, 4x WD Red 8TB
Former units: TVS-1282, TS-871, TS-469
krazywake
New here

Post by krazywake »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:44 pm the non t model is just missing the thunderbolt addon card

Any 8 bay migration compatible NAS should work to get back to your data (external backups should be started)..switch to 10GbE Ethernet and no need for TB anymore
Thanks for the info. Yeah I've actually primarily been using 10gbe on the 872XT anyway since Thunderbolt 3 to my Windows PC has proven a bit troublesome, even with the correct adapter and drivers. I'm usually good about having backups too, but since the Qlocker incident I haven't had my NAS connected to the internet so I have a few projects that haven't synced to my cloud service yet.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

The TVS-h1288X is a fantastic new unit. I have never installed ext4 drives from a TVS-872XT in there, but you can certainly try it. Then when your TVS-872XT comes back, you will need to put in 8 drives into the TVS-h1288X (and 2 SSD's for the ZFS OS) and you will have a much better unit.

I just did a new Synology DS1821+ with a 10G card and 16 Gig of RAM today, and I can now assure you that the TVS-h1288X is a dramatically faster (and better product).

Bob
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
rafale
Easy as a breeze

Post by rafale »

Bob Zelin wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:13 am The TVS-h1288X is a fantastic new unit. I have never installed ext4 drives from a TVS-872XT in there, but you can certainly try it. Then when your TVS-872XT comes back, you will need to put in 8 drives into the TVS-h1288X (and 2 SSD's for the ZFS OS) and you will have a much better unit.

I just did a new Synology DS1821+ with a 10G card and 16 Gig of RAM today, and I can now assure you that the TVS-h1288X is a dramatically faster (and better product).

Bob
That's until we find out a year from now that we have some design issue or quality issue which QNAP won't address and will take down our servers for days while waiting for a replacement unit which will have the same problems a couple of years later... Thanks but no thanks. I understand your business but I just spent $2.2K ($300 cheaper than the h1288X) on a Xeon 8270 26 core 2.6GHz 64GB RAM system with 12bays, 2x10GBe NIC and a lot more room for storage and other expansions, including UnRaid software license to replace my 872. Don't want to be fooled again. It's not even in the same category.

https://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/921/I ... -1250.html
Server: TVS-872XT i9 9900 ES, 64GB DDR4 2666MHz, intel X550-T2, Asus RTX3070 Dual OC (On pico PSU), 2x Phison E12 1TB M.2, 4x Micron 5210 7.68TB, 4x WD Purple 4TB
Backup NAS: TS-473 20GB DDR4 2400MHz, Mellanox ConnectX3, 2x Samsung PM871b 256GB M.2, 4x WD Red 8TB
adamcarter
New here

Post by adamcarter »

Hey rafale i’ll take your tvs 872 off your hands.
rafale
Easy as a breeze

Post by rafale »

adamcarter wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:37 am Hey rafale i’ll take your tvs 872 off your hands.
Ok PM me your addresss, I'll quote you the shipping fee as soon as it dies. Don't worry, it shouldn't be too long.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

pm does not work here..disabled years ago by qnap
krazywake
New here

Post by krazywake »

rafale wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:56 am
Bob Zelin wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:13 am The TVS-h1288X is a fantastic new unit. I have never installed ext4 drives from a TVS-872XT in there, but you can certainly try it. Then when your TVS-872XT comes back, you will need to put in 8 drives into the TVS-h1288X (and 2 SSD's for the ZFS OS) and you will have a much better unit.

Bob
That's until we find out a year from now that we have some design issue or quality issue which QNAP won't address and will take down our servers for days while waiting for a replacement unit which will have the same problems a couple of years later... Thanks but no thanks. I understand your business but I just spent $2.2K ($300 cheaper than the h1288X) on a Xeon 8270 26 core 2.6GHz 64GB RAM system with 12bays, 2x10GBe NIC and a lot more room for storage and other expansions, including UnRaid software license to replace my 872. Don't want to be fooled again. It's not even in the same category.

https://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/921/I ... -1250.html
I'm with you Rafale. Thankfully after much griping on my behalf, they warrantied my 872xt for a second time even though the replacement unit was passed its 6 month warranty. So after buying and returning a temporary 872x from Amazon so I could keep working, I now have my 872xt working again (they must've actually done the repair/replace mobo since they did return my same unit- not a new replacement) but for how long? ~ 6 months is my guess based on last time.

I'm curious about your build. Any chance you have a parts list? I'm no stranger to PC builds but this would be my first custom NAS/Unraid setup. The h1288x looks like a powerhouse but I'm really just using it for fast large file storage, remote access, and cloud backup. No need for a plex server or anything.
krazywake
New here

Post by krazywake »

Bob
Bob, in your experience have you seen 872XT (or any other XT unit in the same generation lineup for that matter) last longer than 3 working years? Just trying to get a pulse on how widespread this problem is... is every motherboard in the series a ticking time bomb? Or have some been lucky and never had an issue? If so, curious what their workload and uptime look like. I definitely leave mine running 24/7 which I know shouldn't be an issue for these with enterprise drives, but it's only reading/writing during working hours unless I'm doing a backup. So other than the unit being on, I feel like I'm a relatively light user - temps should stay pretty mild inside.

I also can't recall if other non-thunderbolt unit users reported this motherboard failure too. I understand they're basically the same hardware with the addition of the TB3 add-in card. But if something about hot swapping/power delivery over TB is shorting something on the mobo or otherwise causing this failure, I would just as soon take out the TB3 card in my unit if I thought it might extend it's working life. Thoughts?
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hello -
The QuTS product line has been introduced in December 2020. I have no idea of what the long term effects will be. So far they have been great. I have been installing QNAP systems since 2015. The original TVS-863+ I built is still running. All the TVS-871T's are still running. All the TVS-1282T's (and T3's) are still running. I have installed a TON of TS-1685 QNAP systems. I have seen about 20 of them where the 10G ethernet card has failed. My solution for all clients was to simply purchase a QXG-10G1T, or LAN-10G2T-X550 and shove it into the TS-1685 - as QNAP always will honor the warranty, but wants the box sent back to them. So it's cheaper to just bite the bullet, and buy the card. As for the TVS-872XT - yes, of course, I have had over 10 client systems just die - would not turn back on after firmware updates. QNAP replaced every single system - and yes, the systems had to be returned first to QNAP. Some clients could not wait, and simply purchased another TVS-872XT, and popped the drives in. They turned the repaired unit into their "backup system". I understand that QNAP extended the warranty of the TVS-x72 series for all models to 5 years. I have also seen dead TS-1683XU-RP systems (not the TS-h1683XU-RP) - and once again - QNAP honored the warranty every single time - but you had to mail back the entire huge heavy chassis to QNAP, before they sent you a replacement (I think I have seen 4 dead TS-1683XU-RP) - on one client, we actually ordered the power supplies first, and it was not the power supplies. So after my first "lesson" - I just said "get an RMA and send it back".

QNAP honor's their warranty. I am in the pro video industry, and I have never seen companies like AVID or Studio Network Solutions, or Facilis, or Editshare, say "oh, our $40,000 server died ? OK - we will FedEx you a brand new one for tomorrow delivery". And that is with paying for annual support ! So I understand the frustration - but this is how most companies operate.

I like dealing with HP Z series workstations, because HP treats customers (who spend the money for these expensive PC's) like gold - they will advance ship you products. But Apple, Super Micro, Dell, will not. And of course, Synology and Netgear will not advance ship you a replacement warranty product either. So I understand the dilemma - but that is our industry.

As for thunderbolt connection to anything, from any manufacturer - I am not a fan. I use 10G. Nice and reliable.

Bob Zelin
GhezoArt
New here

Post by GhezoArt »

Dear all,

One more case.
I performed a normal shutdown this morning to let the electrician work on the main house board.
NAS was disconnected.
He never started up again.
No display, no sound, no fan only a red led inside, and the network led flickering when cable connected.

model is TVS-472 XT.

Technical support reply quickly, that if no sound the repair will cost me 450 USD.
No idea of the modalities delay and garantie about the data....

I'm quite frustrated.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Bob Zelin wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:26 am I understand that QNAP extended the warranty of the TVS-x72 series for all models to 5 years.
Is that communicated in any way or any place or is that just your assumption based on your own experience? This thread is full of customer reports claiming that they're being charged when out of warranty so if a general warranty extension exist, then it could be very important for many people here.

As far as I know the standard warranty is two years on the TVS-X72 series and it's possible to buy a warranty extension of 3 more years for USD399. Maybe your customers had bought the warranty extension? If so, that would explain a 5 year warranty.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

this is my personal experience dealing with the United States QNAP support office in Pomona, California. I have dealt with this now multiple times.

Bob Zelin
GhezoArt
New here

Post by GhezoArt »

P3R wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:40 am
Bob Zelin wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:26 am I understand that QNAP extended the warranty of the TVS-x72 series for all models to 5 years.
Is that communicated in any way or any place or is that just your assumption based on your own experience? This thread is full of customer reports claiming that they're being charged when out of warranty so if a general warranty extension exist, then it could be very important for many people here.

As far as I know the standard warranty is two years on the TVS-X72 series and it's possible to buy a warranty extension of 3 more years for USD399. Maybe your customers had bought the warranty extension? If so, that would explain a 5 year warranty.
Not in Belgium :(
My Waranty ended in April, and I had to pay to start the reparation process.
I just send my NAS back to Nederland.

Just waiting now.
I hope may disk are still OK.

Regards.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you worry about your disks , you found the value and importance of backups..sadly too late

Return to “Miscellaneous”